Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Natural Hair Growth Products
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum

What is a good brand and place to buy Lugol's Solution? Experiences with Lugol's?

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What is a good brand and place to buy Lugol's Solution? Experiences with Lugol's?

Post  Paradox on Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:40 am

I would like to order some, but there seems to be a handful of different brands and prices located at different sites. Some say "aquarium" on them. Is there a difference in quality between brands? Can someone suggest a good place and brand to get some?

Id be curious as to any personal experiences with lugol's or iodine supplementation that you may have as well.

Thanks

Paradox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What is a good brand and place to buy Lugol's Solution? Experiences with Lugol's?

Post  nidhogge on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:05 am

I believe IH said the aquarium one is fine to use. I take a tab of Iodoral in the AM and PM, and 5 drops of Nascent Iodine 1-3 times daily. Love my Iodine. Wink

nidhogge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What is a good brand and place to buy Lugol's Solution? Experiences with Lugol's?

Post  Paradox on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:13 am

Do you have a good reliable source for those Nid? Why the two different kinds of iodine? Why do you love it lol? What does it do for you? Energy? Help with anxiety?

Paradox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:30 am

it just occured to me that I can probably buy it today at a pet or aquarium store.

Paradox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:48 pm

There's a link on this page for Lugol's solution:

http://www.freewebs.com/immortalhair/physiology.htm

CausticSymmetry
Admin

View user profile http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:17 pm

Thanks IH. Would this iodine below be OK to consume? It is on sale for $6 for 16oz here! http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4680+4820&pcatid=4820
They also have it in 8oz at Petco.com for the same price. I have a feeling it may be a typo on the volume.

Kent Marine Concentrated Iodine

Ingredients:
Deionized Water, Potassium Iodide, Calcium Iodide, Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate, Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Tetraborate.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Iodine 22.5 mg/oz min.

Paradox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:22 pm

That's a concentrate and with the other ingredients would not buy that one.

CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  nidhogge on Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:31 am

Hey JH--

Nascent Iodine is a huge energy booster and gets to your Thyroid in a whopping 10 minutes. Between this, the Liquid Zeolite, and my Terminator II, my bowel detoxes have been, well, pretty thorough. I just love to kill parasites. Wink

nidhogge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:45 am

Nid,

I love killing the little bastards too! I remember you mentioning Zeolite before and I read a little about it killing cancer cells earlier, but nothing that hooked me. You seem pretty enthusiastic about it. Do you have any articles on it? Is it something that you take cyclically or indefinitely?

I just googled nascent iodine and the first place selling it I clicked on was $36 for an ounce. That is twice as much as lugol's! BTW- They have a 2% and 5% lugol's solution and so I got the 5% (I'm an American who knows that bigger is better Smile ). Why are they both the same price? Obviously there is an advantage to the 2% as you have better dose control. I didn't see instructions on line...Is there a formula that you know of for converting lugol's to mg of iodine? IH- if you are reading this?

Paradox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nidhogge on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:20 am

I believe the 5% is the way to go with Lugol's.

Nascent is expensive, but lasts a long time too! Few months I'd say. Very powerful stuff.

nidhogge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nidhogge on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:21 am

Also, I don't have any Zeolite materials on-hand, but have read a good deal about it in the past. Waiora has the best brand of it. It's something that can be taken indefinitely, and is actually recommended!

nidhogge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johnt on Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:32 pm

How about this one I just picked up on iherb?

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=4785&at=0

johnt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:29 pm

Johnt - I got some of that stuff, Iosol, it's decent. It's not as potent as Lugol's which contains both Iodine and iodide, but it's still good.

JHarsh80 - 5% Lugol's solution is 12.5 milligrams per two drops.

CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:18 am

Thanks IH, I think I should of bought the 2% now. I don't want to be taking much more than 1 drop a day (6.25mg) then right?

Paradox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nidhogge on Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:25 am

Two drops of the 5% a day is 12.5mg. You can take 100mg with no problems a day. In fact, if you're fighting Candida, more than 12.5mg is recommended.

nidhogge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:09 am

Holy S Nid...100mg a day! You mean 100mcgs right? This is what George Eby has to say about it below from his website: http://george-eby-research.com/html/depression-anxiety.html#iodine

IH, George doesn't seem to condone the use of iodine on a daily basis (3rd Paragraph). What is your take on this? It seems logical to me that if you were to take it daily then you should check your thyroid levels at some point, correct? If you don't take it everyday then how do you know how frequently to take it and how to monitor any effects?

Also...If he is comparing it with an antibiotic, does that mean that it will kill the good bacteria with the bad, and have the same aftermath as an antibiotic? If this is true, then it seems that high doses for the purpose of killing candida fungi wouldn't be a good idea because of iodines antibiotic nature.

"Perhaps the world's cheapest, most traditional, and best anti Candida agent is the simplest. It is iodine. Yes, I am describing the same iodine found in "tincture of iodine" that your mother used to treat your cuts and scratches when you were a child. Because Big Pharma drug companies have re-educated us to believe that the fancy new (expensive) antibiotics are better and safer than (dirt cheap) iodine, we have lost sight of the one truly miraculous and completely natural antiviral, antibiotic and antifungal agent. Nothing is likely to beat iodine in this regard. However, Big Pharma marketing has taught us that we shouldn't tolerate the deep, long lasting stain that iodine causes when applied to our skin. Yes, iodine will stain your skin, but when used properly that stain can be of enormous value to you in your battle against Candida. Scientists say that if you apply a several-inch round stain of iodine to your skin, say to your belly, that if it disappears within 24-hours, you are iodine deficient. Well, I tried that and my iodine stain always disappeared within 6 to 12 hours, and I am clearly not iodine deficient. Marketing has also taught us that iodine in excess is dangerous, that it can mess up our thyroid. Physicians, especially surgeons, for many years world-wide disinfected multiple square-foot size areas of skin with iodine prior to major surgery, sometimes resulting in toxic overdoses of iodine. Excess iodine can also damage our thyroid function causing either reversible hypothyroidism or reversible hyperthyroidism. However, the benefits of proper use of small amounts of iodine are so enormous that iodine must never be neglected or discarded or disrespected, or we will pay dearly! And we are paying that price.

How does one use iodine to battle Candida? If the Candida infection is intestinal, then we must treat the intestines either through the oral route or topically. That iodine is anti Candida is clear from this report. What I found works extremely well for me is to take 3 mg Prolamine Iodine tablets from Standard Processes with each meal and at bedtime for about 3 weeks, but never for longer than that. (Note: look for "Prolamine Iodine" in their Alphabetical List.) I repeat! Never take 3 mg iodine tablets for longer than 3 weeks because that dosage for longer than 3 weeks can interfere with thyroid function. I could not find this product when I first started to research iodine, so I added a few drops of Strong Tincture of Iodine 7% to a full glass of water and that worked well too. Iodine can never be swallowed straight (it is poisonous straight) and it must always be highly diluted. The taste of a single drop will provide clear evidence of that! From what we have read about Candida Albicans becoming resistant to various antifungals after a single week of treatment, one could hypothesize that such would also be true for iodine. Thus, there would be no need to treat for more than a week. However, in this article, are the words "All Candida Albicans strains tested showed similar susceptibility to the medicaments tested." This suggests to me that Candida Albicans is totally responsive to iodine, and that even if mutations occur, such is irrelevant to efficacy of iodine. However, in me after 3 weeks of 12 mg of iodine per day, I noticed that my body temperature has fallen a full degree, suggesting mild hypothyroidism. Worse, as one might expect from this figure concerning hypothyroidism and low magnesium, I notice a strange low level depression and malaise that just lingers and smolders, not evident to other people, but clearly evident to me." ....

"Obviously, after waiting a few months from stopping anti-candida treatment with iodine, one can return to use of iodine, perhaps as a 3 mg tablet / day as an irregularly-taken food supplement. Please note that the RDA for iodine is 0.150 mg/day (150 micrograms/day), although I personally believe that higher doses of iodine can be very beneficial to some but not all people. No one knows why some people can not tolerate large (therapeutic) amounts of iodine, but I believe that it is because they are too magnesium deficient to handle it. I am daily reminded that the Okinawans who live to be 120 years old eat much kelp, which is high in iodine (10 to 20 mg iodine per day) and taurine, and they also get very large amounts of magnesium from their foods. Another effective anti-Candida treatment is to apply tincture of iodine to the skin so that it can be absorbed from the skin and not the intestines in an equivalent dosage. I calculated each drop of Humco Strong 7% Tincture of Iodine to release 1 mg of iodine when applied to the skin using its special applicator. I am amazed at how fast 10 drops of iodine disappears into my skin (about 6 hours), while it seems to stay for several days on other people's skin. I am not certain that the "24-hour" test is valid. I think that if there were no other treatment available for Candida infection, iodine would be a fully acceptable choice, if the thyroid remains unaffected. Since there are other treatments that should be tried first (unless one is truly desperate), and because one can overdose on iodine, I mention it last. Obviously, if Candida infection is topical, perhaps genital, iodine might be used directly to treat the infection, but some experimenting with strength would be necessary. Bright red groin area rashes are usually Candida Albicans infections, and they should be aggressively treated with topical iodine in my opinion. Tincture of iodine is too strong for application to genitalia without stinging and possibly burning, and one must dilute it with water, perhaps in a 1 to 10 or 100 ratio. The only use of iodine (Lugol's solution) to treat genital Candida that I found in the literature was in mares. Be careful! Repeated application may be necessary. A final thought. Have you noticed that use of antibiotics causes Candida suprainfections? Have we made progress? Big Pharma thinks so. Check google for "iodine" and "candida". Eckerd's Drug stores in the United States carry Povidone iodine as a topical anti-fungal."

Paradox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:28 am

JHarsh80 - The coastal Japanese consume an average of 100 Milligrams (not micro) per day.

If iodine is vanishing within 6 to 12 hours in your case, it's means you are iodine deficient.

The research on iodine comes from two people that would be David Brownstein and Dr. Guy E. Abraham M.D.

Take a look at the following link and the associated links on them, it should answer a lot of questions.

http://www.healthsalon.org/274/iodine-dr-guy-e-abraham-md/

CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  nidhogge on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:38 am

Nope, I mean 100mg. Note the part in the article where he mentions that he believes lack of Magnesium is the reason why many folks can't handle larger doses of Iodine. You see, Iodine is used by the thyroid, but it's also used by every cell in your body. What your thyroid doesn't need, it sends out to the rest of your body, and what your body doesn't need, it excretes.

The Nascent Iodine I have is 1% Iodine and 99% Organic Alcohol. Iodoral tabs are something like 5.5mg of Iodine and 6.5mg of Iodide, though that could be wrong (around that though). Good read though for sure!

nidhogge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:57 am

Wow...OK thanks guys.

IH, Thanks for the link...I will read it and I'm sure it is consistent with what you are saying.
I'm jut confused as to how a guy like George would get his facts wrong, but more importantly where he got his facts from. I suppose that at the time that was written, the data was outdated as far as the maximum dosage (although I doubt it because iodine has been around for so long). I follow you on the premise that if one IS iron deficient, than they can tolerate higher doses, but what is confusing is that George says he did the iron test and it disappeared quickly but he was "definitely NOT iron deficient." He noticed symptoms of hypothyroidism after taking just 12mg/day for 3 weeks! I did the test as well with a 2% tincture (Don't know if that is strong enough) and it also disappears quickly, but George seems to be saying that that iron test is bunk.

"IH, are you saying that George is just plain wrong when he says:

"Physicians, especially surgeons, for many years world-wide disinfected multiple square-foot size areas of skin with iodine prior to major surgery, sometimes resulting in toxic overdoses of iodine. Excess iodine can also damage our thyroid function causing either reversible hypothyroidism or reversible hyperthyroidism."

His historic facts are wrong too? Nid, You said that any excess is excreted, but that doesn't seem logical unless the above statement is completely false. It also seems odd that they would have a skull and bones poison logo on all the store bought iodine I've seen, and tell you to call poison control if you consume it. I know that they can be overly fanatic sometimes with warning labels but in this case in light of what George says (again unless it is factually and historically wrong) it seems that is not the case?

This is contradictory with what you are saying about the Japanese as well:

"I am daily reminded that the Okinawans who live to be 120 years old eat much kelp, which is high in iodine (10 to 20 mg iodine per day)..."

George was off by 80%??

I need to read the links you gave me, but I am still wondering how George messed up his facts so badly, and where he got them from?

Paradox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:29 am

JHarsh80 - The information on Iodine is relatively new. Also, iodine is tainted with a bad reputation for erroneous reasons.

Dr. David Browstein has one of the largest iodine patient groups on record, so he has seen a tremendous resolution as far as iodine supplementation goes.

When you said iron test, you mean iodine right?

I will say that the facts concerning iodine intakes, while cited in several sources is not necessarily accurate. Whether George is right or the others are, I'm not sure.

Changes in TSH are temporarily and do not reflect actual thyroid states, so it is a common mistake to assume that iodine could cause a hyperthyroid for example.

The contraindications are what to really look for. Iodine allergies do exist, but they are rare.

Keep in mind that iodine was used heavily in the 1800's though early 1900's and only patent medicine scientists got a little confused.

CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sdguy on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:33 am

I did the Candida spit test yesterday and it came out positive, I see the reference to iodine helping battle candida, how does it do that exactly? Also, the link for the iodine deficiency test goes to a basically dead page at http://cypress.he.net/~bigmacnc/drflechas/index.htm/iodine.htm

IH, do you recommend taking 50mg of iodine/day to fight candida?

sdguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sdguy on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:14 pm

Also, has anyone had luck using grapefruit seed extract to fight candida?

sdguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:35 pm

sdguy - Yes 50 Milligrams for 3-weeks (max), then continue with two drops or 12.5 mgs until you're clear.

GSE on it's own is not enough for Candida unless it's really mild.

CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sdguy on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:41 pm

I see a number of different possible treatments on your page, which would you recommend to go along with GFE? Or am I getting ahead of myself and should I go get tested by my doctor first to find out how severe it is? Thanks!

sdguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:44 pm

sdguy - There's a simple three-pronged approach. Kolorex, Lugol's solution, Dr. Ohhira's probiotic 12 Plus. There's also Niacinamide, but I have limited feedback on its effects.

CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:07 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top