Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

The truth about rancid fish oil

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The truth about rancid fish oil

Post  Biffy on Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:03 am

Interesting! I was scared of rancid fish oil - at very least it seems it would do no harm. But I think his bashing of Krill oil is just marketing gimmick, for example: "Krill manufacturers have long claimed their product is “better absorbed” than fish oils. A recent study called that into question and I will get to that in the future." F*** me this is like opposite of all the things I read about Krill: http://drdaveunleashed.com/2014/01/krill-better-than-fish-oil-more-chicanery/

Biffy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh on Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:37 pm

http://raypeat.com/articles/nutrition/oils-in-context.shtml

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/unsaturated-oils.shtml

are far better reads

but I warn you, once you start reading ray peat's articles, there's no way back

iuyyighghghgkh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Abyad on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:18 am

According to THIS article:

"Omega-3 fats are extremely fragile and are VERY easily damaged by oxygen. This is true for ALL omega-3 sources, whether animal-based or plant-based.

However, this is where krill oil stands out as a clear winner.

Krill oil would also be highly unstable if it wasn't for the fact that it contains the antioxidant astaxanthin, which keeps it safe from oxidative damage. In fact, in tests performed by Dr. Moerck, the krill oil remained undamaged after being exposed to a steady flow of oxygen for 190 hours!

Compare that to fish oil, which went rancid after just one hour.

That makes krill oil nearly 200 times more resistant to oxidative damage compared to fish oil!"

Abyad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:21 am

Abyad wrote:blah blah blah !"[/i]

the problem is , all unsaturated fats are anti-thyroid and don't belong in the body

If you had some antique watches that needed re-oiling, yes, grab the fish oil.

iuyyighghghgkh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  j87x on Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:54 am

ray peat followers have mental disorders.

j87x

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  4039 on Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:06 am

j87x wrote:ray peat followers have mental disorders.

I'm a silent follower of Jack Lalanne. Smile He not only had a full head of hair into his nineties, but was performing feats of strength into his seventies.... including towing 70 rowboats (1 with a person aboard) while handcuffed and shackled for 1.5 miles in Long Beach Harbor.

And yeah, Jack was one of the first proponents of bodybuilding and blended *smoothies* with a healthy ratio of vegetables to fruits, also protein powders along with cod liver oil and desiccated liver. You might even call him the father of the smoothie. Smile

From the few pictures of Ray on the Internet, he is balding and looks unhealthy. This could be the result of all that refined cane sugar and fructose from fruits and processed OJ. However Ray's recommendation of consuming gelatin is wonderful.

My only recommendations with fish oil would be to keep air and heat away from the capsules. And always ensure an antioxidant charge is in your body, so a rancid anything isn't allowed entrance into your cells.

As for krill oil, astaxanthin is a super-powerful antioxidant which makes rancidity almost an impossibility. The phosphatidylcholine component gives the oil extra allowance into the cell, nature's own liposome. This is what indeed makes the oil better than ordinary Omega-3.

On the cheap, I usually purchase gallon-sized containers of salmon oil and add astaxanthin to it. A crude liposome could be created by adding some phosphatidylcholine with the oil/astaxanthin and blending it.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Biffy on Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:19 am

This Salmon oil has naturally occurring Astaxanthin in large quantities (6mg), and is also cheap and with no fishy burp!

http://www.iherb.com/mrm-freshomega-pure-extra-virgin-norwegian-salmon-oil-90-pesco-veggie-softgels/47731?rcode=dfq107

"Using a technique 10 years in development, FreshOmega's Extra Virgin Norwegian Salmon Oil is extracted within only hours of being caught. By avoiding high temperatures, distillation, solvents and high pressures the oil is as complete as raw whole food."

I agree with you 4039 Ray Peat followers are nuts and will continue to bald - they try to stop baldness with caffeine and aspirin - what a joke. Krill oil/Fish oil is amazing for your body and hair - I can attest that.

Biffy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sage 1 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:41 pm

Biffy wrote:This Salmon oil has naturally occurring Astaxanthin in large quantities (6mg), and is also cheap and with no fishy burp!

http://www.iherb.com/mrm-freshomega-pure-extra-virgin-norwegian-salmon-oil-90-pesco-veggie-softgels/47731?rcode=dfq107

"Using a technique 10 years in development, FreshOmega's Extra Virgin Norwegian Salmon Oil is extracted within only hours of being caught. By avoiding high temperatures, distillation, solvents and high pressures the oil is as complete as raw whole food."

I agree with you 4039 Ray Peat followers are nuts and will continue to bald - they try to stop baldness with caffeine and aspirin - what a joke. Krill oil/Fish oil is amazing for your body and hair - I can attest that.

The only issue is that the farmed Norwegian salmon has been caught all the time in fish ponds, and fed with pellets made from hodge-podge that include oil and flesh of smaller fish (e.g. herring and anchovies), corn gluten, ground-up feathers, soybeans, chicken fat, genetically engineered yeast, and to make it look tasty pink they add pigmenting astaxanthin.

Sage 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top