Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Blood Test Results - Serious Issues

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Blood Test Results - Serious Issues

Post  Columbo on Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:25 am

I learned this week molybdenum can be quite important in regulating iron, I'm on 250mg a day for a bit out of curiosity. fascinating how dietary minerals interact with each other.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/25/10/1022.abstract

Both copper and molybdenum influence the internal transport and release of iron. There is evidence that copper, as a component of ceruloplasmin, increases the rate of oxidation of ferrous to ferric iron for transport by plasma transferrin; and that molybdenum, as a component of xanthine oxidase, participates in the reduction of cellular ferric to ferrous ferritin. An excess of either copper or molybdenum, by giving rise to a relatively undissociable Cu-Mo-S complex, may produce a deficit of the metal in marginal supply. As dietary excess of copper is known to be common in the United States, and preliminary data suggest that molybdenum intake may not be optimal, it is possible that a conditioned deficit of molybdenum may contribute to abnormalities of iron metabolism and utilization.
Columbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  turbojet on Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:10 am

Reducing the toxic load on the body is the best way to improve liver function. I like to use a FIR sauna once or twice a week. I also occasionally take Thorne Liver Cleanse, especially after drinking alcohol.

turbojet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:06 am

Columbo wrote:I learned this week molybdenum can be quite important in regulating iron, I'm on 250mg a day for a bit out of curiosity. fascinating how dietary minerals interact with each other.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/25/10/1022.abstract

Both copper and molybdenum influence the internal transport and release of iron. There is evidence that copper, as a component of ceruloplasmin, increases the rate of oxidation of ferrous to ferric iron for transport by plasma transferrin; and that molybdenum, as a component of xanthine oxidase, participates in the reduction of cellular ferric to ferrous ferritin. An excess of either copper or molybdenum, by giving rise to a relatively undissociable Cu-Mo-S complex, may produce a deficit of the metal in marginal supply. As dietary excess of copper is known to be common in the United States, and preliminary data suggest that molybdenum intake may not be optimal, it is possible that a conditioned deficit of molybdenum may contribute to abnormalities of iron metabolism and utilization.

Mainstream medicine has not followed this up very well, however this can be truth.

Upon a high blood ferritin test, it is possible that too much copper (which produces the hydroxyl free-radical) and in turn produce too much fibrin (which can be measured via fibrinogen levels).
As a result of iron load, the copper damage gets worse also, because it deposits too much fibrin.
Curcumin/Resveratrol/Quercetin (all found in Antioxidant Boost) help to chelate both iron and copper.

If copper is suspect to be too high (a short term experiment with this would be a good test)
http://www.iherb.com/Nutricology-Liquid-Molybdenum-1-fl-oz-30-ml/3430

On further note, magnesium (helps deal with the clots) and shouldn't be left out of any health regimen.

Depending on the ferritin level after these inclusions, blood donation maybe necessary.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
Admin

View user profile http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:09 am

gorilla_power wrote:Acids are very real and chew up on tissues. Meats are so acid forming.
The metabolism of high protein foods create toxic by products(like uric acid).

Books written in the 1930's and '40s used to pronounce many diseases from uric acid metabolism. 

Interestingly, fructose creates a greater derangement of elevated uric acid than meats

Cherry juice and/or celery seed extract helps with this....but by no means is everyone susceptible to high uric acid.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
Admin

View user profile http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Changexpert on Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:47 am

stresssucks wrote:
herbalman wrote:of course you have high cholesterol, so by taking a thyroid gland  it wouldn't be random.

doesn't that assume that the only cause of high cholesterol is not enough T4/T3? I'm not a doctor, but I think that's a bad assumption.

Very bad assumption. My TSH, T4, T3 levels are all low (secondary hypothyroid caused by pituitary gland or hypothalamus), but my cholesterol level is very healthy.

Measuring copper level is very difficult as serum level fluctuates a lot, making the result very unpredictable and generally inaccurate.

Have you gotten tests for thyroid antibodies including TgAB and TPO? Your iodine intake could be triggering autoimmune response, which could potentially damage the liver.

If you suspect that you are not producing enough stomach acid, get antiparietal cell antibody test along with intrinsic factor antibody test. B12 absorption could be an issue as well, although I am not sure how that would tie only to lipid levels. Also, taking too many supplements will damage the liver, so cutting back on supplements for two to three months would be a good starting point. If cutting back on supplements does not improve the liver or cholesterol level, then you may need even more lab tests to find the root cause. It is also very possible that you are genetically predisposed to have high cholesterol level since your father has this condition. In that case, correcting cholesterol level with supplements would be a good avenue, either through niacin (flush version, niacinamide does not work) or pantethine. When I took 300 mg patethine weekly and occasional 200-300 mg niacin, my LDL/triglyceride were very low while my HDL was fairly high.

I have been in your shoe before, with wacky lab results that do not make any sense. Chasing after the root cause is a long shot, especially when you are on several supplements that could be altering your lab results one way or the other. The problem with supplements is that when they are taken together, it is very difficult to predict the outcome. This is why it is important to try supplement one at a time and figure out what works best for you.

One more word of caution. Looking for answers online is usually not wise. Nobody here, including myself, is a doctor, and cannot give you accurate medical advice. The best thing you can hope for is to get some ideas and do your own research to see if it fits your picture. Perseverance is key. Always discuss with your doctors about what you find out on this forum or any other places.

Changexpert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hulk on Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:05 am

Thanks for your replies...

Lots of food for thought, wow. A bit overwhelming.

I think I am going to stop iodine altogether for a while. It is the only thing that I can think might be messing me up. I am sure I have my father's genetics with cholesterol and triglycerides. I am remaining positive that I have been able to lower them through Taurine and high dose krill and fish oil. I will keep these up for this. With the liver, I will keep up the IP6, milk thistle and choline.

I have been consistently taking the IH top 6 as well as some other supplements for a good while now. Maybe I have a different thyroid issue and the iodine is impacting this? My Doctor actually said he wanted me to stop taking all the supplements. I am not prepared to do that though, but maybe scale back some and work on the ones that my Doctor suggested.

One thing about my Doctor that I thought was pretty good is that he seemed to be open to some supplements. With my latest cholesterol results, he didn't even bring up statins... So I am happy with that.

I feel my biggest issues are the thyroid and liver.

The Hulk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hulk on Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:00 am

I spoke with a Pathologist and had a second opinion from another Doctor and these are the responses I have received;

* - Majority of your tests are within range. The lipid profile is abnormal with elevated cholesterol and triglycerides. Dietary and lifestyle modifications will help. If not medication can be used.
Iron is within range with minimal elevation of Ferritin. Ferritin is a protein which contains iron. Elevated ferritin may indicate that your body is storing more iron.
It could also point to liver disease, rheumatoid arthritis, other inflammatory conditions or hyperthyroidism.
If you are otherwise healthy then this could even be a normal value for you as most of the values are averages of a set of population. So some people can fall outside this range.
Your liver function tests are within normal range - Total protein, albumin, globulin, bilirubin, ALP, AST, ALT, GGT and LDH.
ALT is the only enzyme minimally elevated at 53U/L. An isolated test being out of range is not necessarily indicative of liver damage/disease. Mild elevation can be due to damage to skeletal muscle or cardiac muscle. Vigorous exercise prior to getting the test done can also increase the levels of AST or ALT.
So nothing here is indicative of liver disease. An ultrasound exam of the liver will pick up very early changes of fatty liver. - *

Based on the above comments from the main stream medical fraternity, I am ok and there is nothing to be alarmed about, other than the cholesterol and triglycerides.

The Hulk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Changexpert on Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:27 am

Have you ever gotten tested for your hormone levels like free T, total T, estradiol, DHEA, cortisol, and progesterone? Cholesterol is the precursor to all these hormones. If your cholesterol level is that high, it could mean two things.

1. You have a block in the system for cholesterol conversion
or
2. Your other hormone levels are also through the roof, so cholesterol level is in equilibrium with other hormone levels

Either way, your cholesterol metabolism process is not working. I am very curious what your hormone levels were.
Changexpert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hulk on Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:43 pm

The Doc is testing me for Cortisol and some other things next time, so maybe this will be a better indicator?

Meanwhile... I am downing the fish oil and krill like there is no tomorrow

Thanks.

The Hulk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hulk on Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:56 pm

Hi everyone,

After a while trying to sort all this out, I am back again... I have just had my blood test results come in. My Doctor is saying that I am hypertrigglyceridaemia and have borderline low testosterone.

I weight lift, eat well, use supplements and am in good condition. I am in my early 40's.

My Ferritin is going up and up and up on each blood test, my cholesterol has gone down from 8.8 to 6.7. My ferritin has risen a lot on the past three blood tests (242 - 287 - 367).

Here are my recent blood test results;

TSH - 0.5 mIU/L ( Reference range - 0.3 - 3.5 )
Free T4 - 14.9 pmol/L ( Reference range - 9.0 - 19.0 )

Prolactin - 110 mIU/L ( Reference range - less than 500 )

Total PSA - 0.29 ug/L ( Reference range - 0.25 - 2.2 )

Cortisol - 267 nmol ( Reference range - 100 - 535 )

Chemistry (serum)

Sodium - 141 mmol/L ( Reference range - 135 - 145 )
Potassium - 4.7 mmol/L ( Reference range - 3.5 - 5.5 )
Chloride - 107 mmol/L ( Reference range - 135 - 145 )
Bicarbonate - 21 mmol/L ( Reference range - 20 - 32 )
Anion Gap - 13 mmol/L ( Reference range - 5 - 15 )

Ca (corr) - 2.34 mmol/L ( Reference range - 2.10 - 2.55 )
Phosphate - 1.1 mmol/L ( Reference range - 0.8 - 1.5 )

Urea - 5.6 mmol/L ( Reference range - 3.0 - 8.0 )
Urate - 0.40 mmol/L ( Reference range - 0.20 - 0.50 )
Creatinine - 73 umol/L ( Reference range - 60 - 110 )
eGFR - >90 ( Reference Range - >59 )

Fast Glucose - 5.6 mmol/L ( Reference range - 3.6 - 6.0 )
Random Glucose - 4.7 mmol/L ( Reference range - 3.6 – 7.7 )

Total Protein - 74 g/L ( Reference Range - 66 - 83 )
Albumin - 47 gL ( Reference Range - 39 - 50 )
Globulin - 27 g/L ( Reference Range - 20 - 39 )
T Bilirubin - 12 umol/L ( Reference range - 4 - 20 )
ALP - 60 U/L ( Reference Range - 35 - 110 )
AST - 40 U/L ( Reference Range - 10 - 40 )
ALT - 66 U/L ( Reference Range - 5 - 40 )
GGT - 33 U/L ( Reference Range - 5 - 40 )
LDH - 193 U/L ( Reference Range - 120 - 250 )

Cholesterol - 6.7 mmol/L ( Reference range - 3.9 - 5.5 )

Haemolysis Index - 11 ( Reference Range - 0 - 40 )

Androgens

Testosterone - 8.5 nmol/L ( Reference Range - 11.0 - 40.0 )

Anaemia Profile

Iron - 25 umol/L ( Reference Range - 5 - 30 )
Transferrin – 2.3 g/L ( Reference Range – 1.9- 3.1 )
TIBC - 57 umol/L ( Reference Range - 45 - 72 )
Saturation - 44% ( Reference Range - 20 - 55 )
Ferritin - 367 ug/L ( Reference Range - 30 - 300 )

My Doctor has suggest I see an EndoChrinologist, I am hoping to avoid this if possible.

What do you think?

Thanks so much!

The Hulk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top