Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Blood Test Results - Serious Issues

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Blood Test Results - Serious Issues

Post  The Hulk on Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:09 pm

My Doctor did not seem to be too alarmed. He did not bring up statins this time as he saw the numbers improving for my cholesterol and triglycerides. I saw the other numbers too and wondered about them, but he did not seem to worried. He basically said the following;

1. Avoid refined carbs
2. Take even more fish oil, but in liquid form
3. Get another blood test done in January and we shall see how things look then

The Doctor said he was getting my cortisol checked next time and a couple of other things. Other than that, he felt things would continue to improve.

I checked my results for the Ferritin and according to the range (which now seem to say that the upper range is 300), I am still below 300 ug/L, but it has risen since April.

Since April, I have really hammered the Milk Thistle, Taurine, Choline and IP6 as well as taking the standard IH Regimen. Don't get me wrong, I am glad the cholesterol and triglycerides are going down, but I am a little disappointed/concerned that there has not been a bigger improvement. Even though the Ferritin is within range, why is it still going up?

My testosterone is really low and I spoke to my sister inlaw (a Doctor) about pregnenolone and boy did I get a wrap across the knuckles for even exploring the option of messing with hormones.

So... I am at a bit of a quandry on all of this. The Doc seemed ok this time. Last time he called and asked to see me.

One other thing I wondered... Could any of the IH Regimen (including Boron) be effecting things like cholesterol, triglycerides or ferritin?

Thanks!

The Hulk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris2211 on Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:46 pm

Check your gut flora!! Check your liver phase 2!! Check your galbladder. Please do nothing with thyroid or other hormones!!

Chris

Chris2211

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hulk on Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:41 pm

I am wondering if 3g of Vitamin C each day (even though I take before bed, 2hrs away from food) is causing any issues?

The Hulk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  takingaction on Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:04 am

Supplements can affect liver function.

I'm no iron expert, but I personally recommend cutting intake and being less aggressive in chelation (not good to have so much flowing in the blood). Most of all, I say insist on more testing before January, even if it means choosing a new doctor.

takingaction

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hulk on Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:53 am

One thing I did before getting these latest blood tests was stop all supplementation (even whey powder) 24-36 hours before the blood test was done and as standard I had the blood tests done in a fasted state.

I am upping the dosage of fish oil as per my Doctor's suggestions (the Ray Peat community condemn fish oil for some reason) and had already decided I was going to get another lot of blood tests done end of November or beginning of December.

Something weird is going on with me though. Ferritin is going up (even though it is still in range according to the medical fraternity) and my testosterone only went from 7.6 to 9 (Testosterone range is 11-40).

Again, I am in good shape, lift weights, and watch what I eat. I am also getting better sleep now too.

Looking back at the records of my lab results, my last good results were in 2005. Somewhere between 2005 and 2015, my cholesterol/triglycerides skyrocketed, my testosterone dropped and my ferritin went skew whif. I think I started seeing thinning hair around 2007. It was a diffuse thinning and I have a feeling it may be related to all these bad results we are talking about. Just a feeling...

The Hulk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  takingaction on Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:07 am

I think that's the right feeling. Maybe you could estimate the time frame based on past major nutritional change, decline in sexual function (e.g., when morning wood stopped), or loss of ability to easily add muscle.

FYI, at least with some liver tests, it takes several weeks or more after supplement (or medication) changes to really show up in tests.

takingaction

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hulk on Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:54 am

So... With trying to decipher my lab results, Doctors seem to be saying that my ferritin levels are ok and are definitely in range.

I am not sure what to make of all this now... Can someone help and give me an opinion of my lab results that I posted?

The main issues still seem to be high cholesterol, high triglycerides and low testosterone.

For what it is worth, my waking body temperature is 36.29 degC (97.3 degF).

Thanks!

The Hulk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hulk on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:49 pm

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/temperature/

According to the link above, my body temperature is low. I have been consistently taking iodine for quite some time now and currently take 7 drops most mornings.

Is this not enough?

The Hulk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  liverock on Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:54 am

High cholesterol, high blood pressure(148/86), high triglycerides and low HDL all go hand in hand with low magnesium.

http://www.wholefoodsmagazine.com/supplements/features/reduce-high-cholesterol-nutritional-magnesium.

Low magnesium will also lower T levels.

http://www.anabolicmen.com/magnesium-and-testosterone/

liverock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hulk on Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:37 am

Thanks Liverock!

I am taking a magnesium capsule 2-3 times a day and before bed I have started applying magnesium oil topically via a spray. With the magnesium capsules, what is the best type? I am now confused on this too (so much contradicting information out there).

What is the best thing to do if my body temperature is low? I am confused about whether I need to stop the iodine or increase it or take desiccated thyroid?

I am taking high doses of fish oil and krill for cholesterol and triglycerides. In the Ray Peat community, this is frowned on. I am not sure what to do there as even the Doctor endorsed the fish oil.

Thanks.

The Hulk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  liverock on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:24 am

How much actual magnesium is all that?
Stress will lower Mag (as well as zinc). Gym work also will lower Magnesium.
High Blood Sugar level will also lower Magnesium.

A shortage of support minerals can also cause hypothyroid.
You can try a Now Foods Thyroid Support formula from iherb.com

liverock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  takingaction on Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:33 pm

The magnesium issue is interesting and I agree consuming more magnesium probably is a good idea, but it's also an example of how people here guess and fixate on things that aren't especially helpful. I'm pretty sure that magnesium deficiency alone wouldn't cause all those abnormal test results even if severe, and if it were severe there would be symptoms. Same goes for maybe every other nutrient. A nutritional panel never hurts, by the way.

My limited research says non-alcohol fatty liver disease and hemochromatosis are the only causes that fit all the test results, and apparently only hemochromatosis is likely to also cause hair loss.

takingaction

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hulk on Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:18 pm

So with my latest lab results, what are the key areas of concern ( other than the cholesterol, triglycerides and testosterone ). I am having Docs say my ferritin levels are ok. I am confused at the moment.

If I do have hemochromatosis, what do you do?

Thanks

The Hulk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  takingaction on Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:15 am

Consume less iron and regularly donate blood, I think.

It's not that ferritin is very high, but inherently it is too high and that should be a concern, especially given the presence of liver abnormalities. There's plenty of research linking the two.

takingaction

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hulk on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:58 pm

Thanks, but how do I fix these liver abnormalities? I have been taking choline, but am not sure if that is doing anything?

I am going to look into donating blood, but I was hoping to get rid of the excess iron with milk thistle and IP6.

Thanks again

The Hulk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  takingaction on Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:03 am

If it's hemochromatosis with nothing else, the liver abnormalities should eventually disappear after the excess iron is gone.

takingaction

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  turbojet on Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:42 am

The ferritin levels are high but not egregiously high like some have stated. Donating blood every 3 months would quickly bring this back into range.

Cycling supplements around too quickly doesn't give your body enough time to adjust, stick to fairly basic routine (Immortal Top 3 or 6) with a good whole food multivitamin if you're concerned about gaps due to heavy lifting. This is a good anti-inflammatory regimen and if you have the willpower try avoiding inflammatory foods like grains for a few months. This has made a big difference for several people I know.

turbojet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  australian on Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:26 pm

Which supplements are in the IH top 3?
australian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh on Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:57 pm

australian wrote:Which supplements are in the IH top 3?

res/curcumin - one supplement
ecklonia cava
k2

iuyyighghghgkh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  australian on Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:06 pm

Cheers.
australian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hulk on Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:54 pm

Thanks... I have been on the IH top 6 for about 3 - 4 years now. I have been consistent also.

I am hoping to ditch the elevated iron without donating blood.

The Hulk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gorilla_power on Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:21 am

High protein diets cause acidosis lead to cholosterol plaquing .Cholesterol is the natural antacid mechanism of the body to buffer the toxic remnants of protein digestion.

Thanks god i left the myth of protein foods and all the other foods that causes encumbrances to the flow of the system.

gorilla_power

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:43 am

gorilla_power wrote:High protein diets cause acidosis lead to cholosterol plaquing .Cholesterol is the natural antacid mechanism of the body to buffer the toxic remnants of protein digestion.

Thanks god i left the myth of protein foods and all the other foods that causes encumbrances to the flow of the system.

gorilla power - I tried that approach over 20 years ago...didn't work for me...we are different "animals" metabolically.

All of this pH, acid/akaline diet information has been debunked so many times.

Some people will do fabulous on your diet...yes they will...but some will not.

But all vegans will benefit from that wonderful stuff in read meat called Carnosine. 

Okay...now back to the regularly scheduled thread....

I've never been too inclined on blood donation (my veins are not an easy reach, except for the hands)...so they won't do it. I use lipoic acid to keep my iron in check (from oxidation).

Also in the spirit of my above comment speaking of diet....it is relevant for iron overload. Load up on the saturated fat.

High Fat Diet Subverts Hepatocellular Iron Uptake Determining Dysmetabolic Iron Overload

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4315491/

All that said, elevated ferritin (iron levels) is not always from hemochromatosis

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4327557/

There is also sometimes a relationship with folate metabolism and iron overload.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
Admin

View user profile http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  gorilla_power on Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:11 am

Acids are very real and chew up on tissues. Meats are so acid forming.
The metabolism of high protein foods create toxic by products(like uric acid).

gorilla_power

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hulk on Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:04 pm

So I should keep persisting with the IP6 and milk thistle in high doses to bring it down?

I am still a bit worried about my liver. All I have been taking for this is choline. I somehow think my liver is the root cause for everything with me.

Thanks

The Hulk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top