Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Please help! Advice on saw palmetto shed

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Please help! Advice on saw palmetto shed

Post  goinbacktocali on Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:55 am

Hello,

My first attempt to fix my hair loss from the inside started 9.5 months ago, I found a page from MPB research talking about saw and axtaxathin...

so I started taking saw palmetto with Beta Sitosterol and astaxathin.  The first sides I noticed were upset stomach and my ocd got way worse (racing mind, body sensations).  My hair didn't really improve or worsen, and I was probably a norwood 2 when starting.  Then at about the 7.5 month mark a really really bad shed started, and still continues til this day!!  It has probably brought me to a Norwood 3!  

Of course I start looking around the web and was seeing every different answer imaginable.  It is hard to find people who use just this combo so mostly the ones I read were from saw palmetto users.  I have read this could mean its working and to stick with it, or people have said they always hear of just shedding on saw!!  They say this combo can raise testosterone, then I read that can cause more hair loss!!

I'm in a tough spot cause I can't go see a doctor or call a company to get advice so I came here because it appears there a lot of users here who know what they are talking about.  Do I stop in case my body is adversely reacting and it will only get worse, and plus the ocd?  Or do I see it out...take the risk and if it works live with the ocd aggrevation??  I wish I would have taken a dht blood test prior to starting to see if my levels have dropped!  

If anyone has any input it would be so greatly appreciated, I don't know who to ask or talk to about this.  I have stopped taking the supplements the last two days, again because I just don't know what to do.

Thank you so much

goinbacktocali

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Advice on saw palmetto shed

Post  johndoe1225 on Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:38 am

Raising testosterone isn't really a bad thing

http://www.hairloss-research.org/serumtestosterone.html

http://www.hairloss-research.org/UpdateTestosterone4-10.html

I can't help much with the shed, but I eat avocados in place of beta-sitosterol supplements, saves money and way the hell tastier Very Happy  

I think half of a normal/good sized avocado is plenty for a day.

Avocados are supposedly an aphrodisiac

johndoe1225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rofl on Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:04 pm

quit while your behind. in my opinion it will only get worse. (i have experienced it)
in theory saw and beta seem like great ideas, a natural form of finasteride without side effects. In reality, they dont work, and make you shed, and do give side effects.

not worth it. quit now or continue to shed.
rofl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Changexpert on Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:34 pm

I've been wondering why hair loss happens in the first place. DHT/androgen receptors are definitely involved. Increased DHT activity by androgen receptor can elevate IL-6 (via cell proliferation, not production) and suppress PGE-2 produced by IL-1 and parathyroid hormone (PTH). In addition, IL-6 can increase the responsiveness of androgen receptors, making DHT even more active. It seems clear that DHT is heavily involved in hair loss, so lowering DHT by either inhibiting the conversion process (most DHT inhibitors fall in this category) or blocking androgen receptors seem good on paper.

Saw palmetto has also been researched to decrease IL-6 and downregulate androgen activities by mediating JAK/STAT pathway (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17671686). I had a massive shedding from SP extract use in the past, and maybe the double effect of SP (JAK/IL-6 downregulation + 5-a reductase inhibition) was too much for my body to handle. I've seen numerous comments about heavy shedding from SP extract use, and now I think that's due to too much altered biological pathways.

Other DHT related products I used in the past include oral fin and beta sitosterol and topical SP, all of which led to heavy shedding. Some people argue that weak hairs need to fall out and then wait for telogen phase to be over (3-4 months) to see regrowth. The problem is nobody knows how "weak" your hair currently is, and depending on the state, this shedding of telogen hair can last a LONG TIME. Most forums say give at least 1 year and sometimes even 2 years. Unfortunately, this is not a guaranteed success and some people report shedding a lot of hairs without ever seeing a regrowth.

This is why I have stopped trying DHT approach a long time ago. The shedding was horrific...

I wonder if there is a way to modulate DHT/androgen receptor rather than to inhibit the androgen receptor or the conversion process.
Changexpert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  goinbacktocali on Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:19 am

First let me say thanks to those who have taken time out of their day to respond!! I am really appreciative as I have no where to really turn to for advice on this? If anyone else out there wants to chime in it would greatly appreciated!! I am leaning to accepting the fact that I screwed up and will just hope what I shed will somewhat grow back!!

Rofl and Changepert, did you regain what you lost or no? Also, is the general consensus in the forum to not take internal DHT inhibitors?

Any advice from anyone on what to maybe do next? There seem to be a million routes to go after reading through some of the forum. Is the consult with the moderator worth the money?

I want to be proactive but every time I have been (minoxidil and now my lastest regime) I end up worse off.

Thanks for your help !!

goinbacktocali

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh on Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:31 pm

this forum doesn't really believe the DHT theory anyway

iuyyighghghgkh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johndoe1225 on Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:34 pm

iuyyighghghgkh wrote:this forum doesn't really believe the DHT theory anyway

Well I think there's a huge difference in SP supplements anyway, I'm sure they can be beneficial if you find the right brand.

Before I knew anything about hair loss I bought some random brand of SP powdered capsules with like 450 mg per cap, you were supposed to take it like 3-5 times daily...

johndoe1225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rofl on Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:49 pm

take an aspirin and go to the hospital.
rofl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh on Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:50 pm

beta sitosterol is 600 times more potent than saw palmetto

but it still doesn't really regrow hair

iuyyighghghgkh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh on Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:33 am

pgd2 - explained by soybean oil/sunflower oil consumption
no fap - explained by reducing prolactin

DHT doesn't cause hair loss . this is not a DHT blocking forum.

iuyyighghghgkh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top