Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Gluten free Sorghum bad for hair?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gluten free Sorghum bad for hair?

Post  dq139 on Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:56 am

hello everybody,

Im fairly new on here and I have been reading some of the forum information and taking in info.

Im 23 and thinning slightly at a slow pace and as much as I want to keep a nice head of hair for the rest of my youth I also want to develope fully and be very masculine. I dont have a full beard yet or much hair on my chest which is wierd because I come from a south Italian backround and both my father & brother had a full beard & alot of body hair by the time they where 18 or 20. (both of which are loosing scalp hair, but my father kept a good head of hair untill 50 & my brother is 35 with some hairline thinning).

Now I decided to go gluten free and do my best to help me keep my hair. So I heard that Sorghum has plenty of antioxidants even more than blueberries and pomegranates. So Ive been eating alot of Sorghum bran, Sorghum Serup Sorghum flour ect..So then I find out that Sorghum raises 5 alpha reductase expression and is a potent DHT increaser.
Look at people from the Middle east & Africa (Ethiopia & Somalia) where Sorghum is a staple in their diet. they are some of the most Hairiest people when it comes to body hair in the world If not the most. And they are not all bald interestingly enough! some of the men have great heads of hair.

Now would the Antioxidants in Sorghum keep hairloss at bay or would it not matter and make the hairloss worse??
because I would love to be one of those guys with a good head of hair and thick masculine body hair, that I can shave  or keep if I want.

P.S: I use Revita shampoo with ketoconazole 3 or 4 times per week and I use Oils like Bhringraj & Amla with Rosemary on my scalp everytime I shampoo. So Idk If you guys think this would help.

Thanks for all the help!
Dominic

dq139

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gluten free Sorghum bad for hair?

Post  champ on Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:17 pm

I'm not sure, but clarification. Somali, Ethiopian and other east Africans have a lot of balding going on. Also notoriously not so hairy, body wise. I've got a full beard and body hair (east African), and this is not so common. Also sorghum isn't a common food nowadays.

champ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dq139 on Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:05 am

Thanks for the info! also its interesting that people from east Africa have balding but don't have much body or beard growth since DHT is responsible for both those actions in the body. in my culture (Sicilian/Italian) & cultures like middle eastern its rare to find a man who isn't very hairy on the body & face. ofcourse south Italians don't eat Sorghum or a lot of grains, and they keep their hair fairly well. Its not un common to find a super hairy man with a good dark head of hair. this might be all genes though, and I may have gotten bad genes :/

And really? I heard that Ethiopian "Injera" bread is made of sorghum & is eaten with most meals.

Anyways it would be helpful to find a type of bread or carb source to eat that is gluten free and wouldn't hurt my hair.

dq139

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh on Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:07 am

This forum does not believe the DHT theory

Ironically, white rice may contain a lignan that suppresses 5 -ar which may explain their hairless bodies in Asian countries

if it enhances DHT, carry on eating it.

iuyyighghghgkh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dq139 on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:47 pm

iuyyighghghgkh wrote:This forum does not believe the DHT theory

Ironically, white rice may contain a lignan that suppresses 5 -ar which may explain their hairless bodies in Asian countries

if it enhances DHT, carry on eating it.

hey thank you for the info!

Also, I know that this forum is into the anti inflammation and calcification theories. But since I am pretty young and don't have a lot of money to spend on keeping my hair, is there any Tips or Pointers you could give me to help prevent the loss or hair or hair regrowth? as long as the supplements or products are fairly cheap I will surely try it out and stick to it.

Thanks.

dq139

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:45 am

high quality coffee and caffeine

taurine

replacing all fats in the diet with coconut oil/high quality butter

is the cheapest way to keep your hair, if you still have it.

iuyyighghghgkh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dq139 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:05 am

iuyyighghghgkh wrote:high quality coffee and caffeine

taurine

replacing all fats in the diet with coconut oil/high quality butter

is the cheapest way to keep your hair, if you still have it.

Interesting!

I use coconut oil sometimes, but I mostly use Olive oil and Red Palm oil (because of the Tocotrienols that are supposed to help hair growth)
Also I eat a lot of Nuts thorough out the day and Egg yolks (4 or 5 per day). Idk if that's good or not.

I was under the assumption that Coffee raises cortisol and tightens up arteries! am I wrong about that?
my father drinks a Italian Espresso everyday since he was young and kept a full head of hair until about 50. even though he shaves his head now he still has a noticeable amount of stubble on top. So maybe Coffee is good for hair, I would like to hear more about your theory behind that.
Also what does taurine do for the hair, that other amino acids like (Cysteine or arginine for ex.) doesn't?

thanks again for the advice!

dq139

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh on Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:50 am

taurine prevents fibrosis,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurine#Other_uses
and is anti estrogen

coffee will certainly be bad for some people, depending on their current health status

it also depends on what fat is currently in your body, for example if you spent a lifetime eating sunflower oil and soybean oil and canola oil, these can stay stored in the body for 4 years and can be released from coffee

And bob's red mill gluten free mix contains white rice flour and sorghum flour, so maybe the DHT balances itself out

iuyyighghghgkh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dq139 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:40 am

iuyyighghghgkh wrote:taurine prevents fibrosis,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurine#Other_uses
and is anti estrogen

coffee will certainly be bad for some people, depending on their current health status

it also depends on what fat is currently in your body, for example if you spent a lifetime eating sunflower oil and soybean oil and canola oil, these can stay stored in the body for 4 years and can be released from coffee

And bob's red mill gluten free mix contains white rice flour and sorghum flour, so maybe the DHT balances itself out

I never really consumed soybean canola or sunflower oil. mostly olive oil in my life.

And I use 100% Sorghum bran or the whole sorghum grains as a substitute for rice. so I don't use the bobs red mill flower mix.

As far as coffee goes I have a cup 2 or 3 times per week (only when I need it) and I use a caffeinated shampoo 3 or 4 times per week so maybe that will help.

Ill see what happens, if I see myself starting to shed more from the increased 5AR from the sorghum I will stop eating and see if that helps.

dq139

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Odysseus on Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:47 am

As far as I know, there's no evidence that a simple wheat protein can affect hair growth, or anything else for that matter, unless you have Celiac's.

Odysseus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh on Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:57 am

Sourdough bread, even if made from wheat, may be safe , even for celiacs

getting carbs from fruit, instead of potatoes, bread, rice, may be better long term

iuyyighghghgkh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Growdamnit on Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:11 am

iuyyighghghgkh wrote:Sourdough bread, even if made from wheat, may be safe , even for celiacs

getting carbs from fruit, instead of potatoes, bread, rice, may be better long term

Ever since you arrive I have added sourdough bread, good coffee, organic ghee, and A2 milk. We will see...

Growdamnit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:23 am

Use common sense and instinct instead of blindly following my advice.

eat sourdough bread (72 hours at least) instead of normal bread

coconut oil/butter instead of cottonseed, canola, margarine etc

Jackson's honest chips instead of other chips

grass fed meat and dairy and organs

free range eggs instead of other eggs.

These are real ideas that make sense.

iuyyighghghgkh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content