FAQ
 Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Brewing Time of Green Tea; Balancing Caffeine Content vs Antioxidants?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brewing Time of Green Tea; Balancing Caffeine Content vs Antioxidants?

Post  johndoe1225 on Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:46 pm

Hey all

I was wondering, what is the ideal time to "brew" green tea? I'm trying to get the minimum amount of caffeine, but maximum antioxidants and all the other good stuff.

The way I do it is simply to heat about 8 ounces of filtered water on my stove, and before it actually boils, remove it and just drop in 1 or 2 tea bags, weigh them down with a spoon and then forget about it for like 10 minutes Very Happy

This method probably creates excess caffeine. I've seen places say to "steep" for 2 minutes, 5 minutes, I don't know. I want to limit caffeine, but I also want to drink the tea.

Any suggestions on the idea "steeping" time?

Thanks Very Happy

johndoe1225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Brewing Time of Green Tea; Balancing Caffeine Content vs Antioxidants?

Post  Beebrox on Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:24 pm

johndoe1225 wrote:Hey all

I was wondering, what is the ideal time to "brew" green tea?  I'm trying to get the minimum amount of caffeine, but maximum antioxidants and all the other good stuff.

The way I do it is simply to heat about 8 ounces of filtered water on my stove, and before it actually boils, remove it and just drop in 1 or 2 tea bags, weigh them down with a spoon and then forget about it for like 10 minutes Very Happy

This method probably creates excess caffeine.  I've seen places say to "steep" for 2 minutes, 5 minutes, I don't know.  I want to limit caffeine, but I also want to drink the tea.

Any suggestions on the idea "steeping" time?

Thanks Very Happy

most of caffeine (app 70%) will go out in first two minutes. You can ignore that batch, if going for antioxidants only. To make things even simpler, eat green tea and not all caffeine will be absorbed.

Beebrox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johndoe1225 on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:03 am

Eat green tea, very interesting, but I'd really rather drink it, I'm trying to replace my coffee and if I eat it I will probably end up still drinking coffee

So Basically, around two minutes then?

johndoe1225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top