Search
Natural Hair Loss Regimen
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum

Concers about side effects of ALC and ALA

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Concers about side effects of ALC and ALA

Post  LittleFighter on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:04 pm

This Dr. think that ALA should be taken in a very small dose and possibly only a few times a week because of its potential side effects.

http://www.raysahelian.com/alphalipoicacid.html
See also http://www.raysahelian.com/juvenon.html

Various users repot heart palpitation, high blood pressure, joint pain and even hair loss:

"Using 300 mg of alpha lipoic acid (approved pharmaceutical grade bought in German drug stores) every day for several weeks seems to have caused a 20 40% hair loss! Alpha lipoic acid intake and hair loss coincide largely. Checking Medline for such effects it appears not unlikely that alpha lipoic acid was chelating too much iron (and may be other essential trace elements) which is a common cause for baldness."

Of course, this is a medical Dr. and he's rather conservative when it comes to supplements and their long term effects. He may not be aware of all research that has been done and he states just that.

What's your opinion on all of this?

Thanks.

LittleFighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Concers about side effects of ALC and ALA

Post  CausticSymmetry on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:28 pm

LittleFighter - That's strictly an effect related to lipoic acid competing for biotin. This is the reason it is imperative to use biotin with lipoic acid. I would imagine even more so using a sustained from, although I much prefer the Stabilized R-Lipoic Acid version which is not sustained but gives a blunt force of protection when a meal is eaten from free radicals and insulin/glucose regulation plus protecting against mitochondrial decay.

Ray Sahelian is definitely one of the most conservative advocates of natural medicine I have ever heard of. Over years he has consistently been very cautious with doses, almost as if they were toxic. Certainly, toxicity is greatly emphasized in allopathic medicine but I wonder if airing on this immense side of caution will fail to facilitate some of the effects that are desired with some of his recommendations.

For example, many herbal formulas often fail to work simply because the amounts are far too low.

Being intimately familiar with protocols concerning lipoic acid in real emergency medicine and preventative medicine I can state unequivocally lipoic acid is quite safe. I wouldn't be surprised if these purported side effects (other than biotin deficiency hair loss) is primarily placebo, but I digress anything is possible yet much higher doses of lipoic acid are used by the tens of thousands for many chronic conditions. I have seen miraculous reversals in serious liver diseases with lipoic acid. Consider the work of Burt Berkson who has pioneered the use of lipoic acid in medicine. He has authored a book called the Alpha Lipoic acid breakthrough in '99.

Here's a recent interview by him. Dr. Burt Berkson uses lipoic acid daily himself.

http://cdn2.libsyn.com/juliaschopick/BERKSON.mp3?nvb=20090708201535&nva=20090709202535&t=03b7ccf32a037ef0b1c78

CausticSymmetry
Admin

View user profile http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  takingaction on Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:00 pm

I was thinking of asking that question. For me, that might be the missing link. I've been shedding for months and taking 100 g of ALA for months. I have been taking it with at least half a gram of biotin and plenty of minerals (lately not at the same time). No thyroid problems according to any tests. Cut the dosage or eliminate altogether for a month or so? Then is there some strong chelator I can take without harming my hair? I'm nearly certain that I have excess mercury in the body, and I believe its presence is bad for the hair. The ALA could be redistributing it in a way that hurts the follices, but who knows.

Rise again...

takingaction

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lund on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:03 pm

Dude your listed weights are screwed. 100g of ALA may be enought to kill you in a day, same with half a gram of biotin per day.

You probably mean - 100mg of ALA and 500microgram of BIOTIN.

takingaction wrote:I was thinking of asking that question. For me, that might be the missing link. I've been shedding for months and taking 100 g of ALA for months. I have been taking it with at least half a gram of biotin and plenty of minerals (lately not at the same time). No thyroid problems according to any tests. Cut the dosage or eliminate altogether for a month or so? Then is there some strong chelator I can take without harming my hair? I'm nearly certain that I have excess mercury in the body, and I believe its presence is bad for the hair. The ALA could be redistributing it in a way that hurts the follices, but who knows.

Rise again...

lund

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ppm on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:40 pm

Awhile back I had bought some pure acetyl L-carnitine, and when I started to use it, it was a quite energy booster.
Unfortunately, I almost immediately started to shed hair (like a day after intake), afair the shed was not specific to the mpb areas. So I stopped it - the shed stopped; I restarted it and the shed restarted.

I thought maybe something was wrong just with me (because I have never heard of this before). So I gave it away to a colleague of mine, actually a nw7 or so. I told him that it was an energy booster and that I cannot use it, but didn't disclose the exact reason. Some day later he came back to me, and he agreed on the benefits of it, but he also told me that he begun to shed hair (in an unusual fashion).

Now, how can this be explained?

ppm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:45 am

ppm - ALC (Acetyl L-Carnitine) should not be used without Lipoic acid. The reason is that it will generate more free radicals. With lipoic acid it is a very different story.

CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lund on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:09 am

May be you should patent the use of ALCAR for becoming KOJAK, sounds like this thing is so darn amazing that it turns the shedding ON and OFF within one day of use.

ppm wrote:Awhile back I had bought some pure acetyl L-carnitine, and when I started to use it, it was a quite energy booster.
Unfortunately, I almost immediately started to shed hair (like a day after intake), afair the shed was not specific to the mpb areas. So I stopped it - the shed stopped; I restarted it and the shed restarted.

I thought maybe something was wrong just with me (because I have never heard of this before). So I gave it away to a colleague of mine, actually a nw7 or so. I told him that it was an energy booster and that I cannot use it, but didn't disclose the exact reason. Some day later he came back to me, and he agreed on the benefits of it, but he also told me that he begun to shed hair (in an unusual fashion).

Now, how can this be explained?

lund

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:27 am

May be you should patent the use of ALCAR for becoming KOJAK, sounds like this thing is so darn amazing that it turns the shedding ON and OFF within one day of use.

lund - You've said some pretty hilarious stuff in the past, but this one takes the cake!

CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top