FAQ
 Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Sulforaphane promotes murine hair growth by accelerating the degradation of dihydrotestosterone

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sulforaphane promotes murine hair growth by accelerating the degradation of dihydrotestosterone

Post  CF on Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:47 pm

Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016 Feb 25. pii: S0006-291X(16)30288-1. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2016.02.099. [Epub ahead of print]
Sulforaphane promotes murine hair growth by accelerating the degradation of dihydrotestosterone.
Sasaki M1, Shinozaki S2, Shimokado K1.

Abstract
Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) causes the regression of human hair follicles in the parietal scalp, leading to androgenic alopecia (AGA). Sulforaphane (SFN) increases the expression of DHT degrading enzymes, such as 3α-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (3α-HSDs), and, therefore, SFN treatment may improve AGA. To determine the effects of SFN on hair growth, we administered SFN (10 mg/kg BW, IP) or vehicle (DMSO) to ob/ob mice for six weeks and examined hair regeneration and the plasma levels of testosterone and DHT. We also tested the effects of SFN on the expression of two forms of 3α-HSD, aldo-keto reductase 1c21 and dehydrogenase/reductase (SDR family) member 9, both in vitro and in vivo. SNF significantly enhanced hair regeneration in ob/ob mice. The mice treated with SFN showed lower plasma levels of testosterone and DHT than those treated with vehicle. SFN increased the mRNA and protein levels of the two forms of 3α-HSD in the liver of the mice and in cultured murine hepatocyte Hepa1c1c7 cells. These results suggest that SFN treatment increases the amount of 3α-HSDs in the liver, accelerates the degradation of blood DHT, and subsequently blocks the suppression of hair growth by DHT.

CF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sulforaphane promotes murine hair growth by accelerating the degradation of dihydrotestosterone

Post  Resistance on Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:15 am

This is actually interesting because I read in other studies that "Sulforaphane, an organosulfur compound found in broccoli (especially the sprouts), cabbage, brussel sprouts, and cauliflower, inhibited mitochondrial permeability and reduced oxidative stress by increasing glutathione activity in rats."

I also have knowledge, from a diffferent study that it was found that balding scalps have 30% less glutathione in circulation than a normal scalp.

I have also read before about all the benefits of broccoli making you less sensitive to DHT

Worth a try for some

Resistance

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sulforaphane promotes murine hair growth by accelerating the degradation of dihydrotestosterone

Post  Resistance on Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:29 am

Just found another piece of evidence

"Sulforaphane is a naturally ocurring isothiocyanate that was first isoleted in broccoli. It protects against carcinogen-induced cancer in many rodents. Mice given 240mg of broccoli sprouts per day showed a significant reduction in growth of prostate cancer cells. Sulforaphane treatment lowered androgen receptor protein and gene expression"
Understanding Pathophysiology
By Sue E. Huether, Kathryn L. McCance

And guess what? Its super cheap, might as well give it a go.

Resistance

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CF on Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:23 pm

Good stuff, Resistance. Thank you.

CF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Resistance on Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:10 am

For the price, I have added it to my routine.

Resistance

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CF on Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:15 am

Nice, CS. I am going to start reading the Daily Topic!

CF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Resistance on Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:05 am

CF wrote:

Nice, CS.  I am going to start reading the Daily Topic!

Are you giving it a go?

Resistance

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CF on Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:43 am

Resistance wrote:Are you giving it a go?

I think am going to order some BroccoMax.

http://ca.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-BroccoMax-Myrosinase-Activated-60-Veggie-Caps/4297

CF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Resistance on Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:57 pm

I ordered the Swanson ones, I am looking forward for it. I have been increasing my brocolli intake ever since I had read the studies about broccoli reducing dht receptors but this will take it to another level and confirm whether its true or not.

Resistance

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shaftless on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:30 am

Sulforaphane comes in a lotion and ointment as well. Have to buy it online I think. Might be worth trying it as a topical.

shaftless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top