Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Can Weight Lifting accelerate MPB?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can Weight Lifting accelerate MPB?

Post  Daredevil on Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:57 pm

Guys, i have shifted to a new place for my work, and i want to get in better shape. I don't want to build a bodybuilder physique, just average weight lifting sessions with a bit of cardio, 3-4 days a week in the gym. Also i don't want to use any supplements, just a good diet. Smile

Now the thing is i know i have MPB, its not aggressive but its there in my genes and i don't want to speed it up. Can weight lifting speed up the process? I read somewhere that since weight lifting increases testosterone, it creates more DHT and thus speed up MPB. Is there any truth to this? Any studies done on how much weight lifting affects Test and DHT?

I'm sure many in this forum workout for overall health benefits, do share your experience.
Daredevil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can Weight Lifting accelerate MPB?

Post  Resistance on Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:08 am

Yes its true, it happens with most body builders and you're only safe if you're not dht sensitive meaning that you don't have many androgenic receptors at your scalp level. IF you know you do, then there's only 2 pathways for your new testosterone, one is estrogen the other is dht. Body builders often use estrogen blockers too to avoid developing gyno when on steroids but bottom line is the more estrogen you have the more dht you will also create because dht is an estrogen antagonist and its your body natural reaction to protecting you from having gyno sides. Now, that is at body building level, I don't think occasionally lifting up weights will have a big impact in your T levels, in fact I very much doubt it, but you can always control these with blood tests.

Resistance

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:14 am

i think the cortisol increase from post exercise would be something to think about it... make sure you are eating right after
sanderson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daredevil on Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:38 am

Thanks for your replies Resistance and sanderson.

So essentially i don't really have to worry about the increase in testosterone and DHT from weight lifting theory if i'm having a moderate gym session about 3 days a week right? I'll certainly not try dirty bulking and would try my best to stick to a clean diet.

EDIT: Also, has anyone come across any studies as to how much increase in testosterone can there be from a weight lifting session. Certainly a minor, or transient increase won't be a concern but if it gradually increases test levels in the long run, could it not affect hair negatively?
Daredevil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Resistance on Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:15 am

Daredevil wrote:Thanks for your replies Resistance and sanderson.

So essentially i don't really have to worry about the increase in testosterone and DHT from weight lifting theory if i'm having a moderate gym session about 3 days a week right? I'll certainly not try dirty bulking and would try my best to stick to a clean diet.

EDIT: Also, has anyone come across any studies as to how much increase in testosterone can there be from a weight lifting session. Certainly a minor, or transient increase won't be a concern but if it gradually increases test levels in the long run, could it not affect hair negatively?

I think different exercises will have different impact, I can tell you for sure that intense exercises like push ups increase your T levels stupidly, this is how I noticed I was thinning on one of my temples, after a summer of pushups (over 100 a day), 3 months after that I got the first signs of MPB, that was last summer, before that I was the occasional gym user (3x/week) and didn't have any thinning. I learnt this the harsh way I wish I had read it somewhere before. I continue to go gym but now control T:E and hairloss overall with some supplements. I wouldn't quit gym because of hairloss...

Resistance

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:35 am

testosterone and DHT are very good for you and your hair.. you want them to be high.. when you put stress on your body... your cortisol is going to go up... it's going to use up your progesterone to turn the hormones into cortisol instead of testosterone.. long distance runners have low T for this reason...
sanderson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SonofOdin on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:17 am

The more compound exercises you do, the more testosterone, growth hormone, and I would assume DHT, you will produce. A man who heads into the gym to do some cardio and maybe hop on the machines a little is not going to have much of an increase. Another man who goes in with the standard five day a week bodybuilding protocol is going to have a larger increase, but a lot of his exercises are going to be isolations. The last option is the full body workout guy who is forced to do only compound movements to fit in his whole body during the workout. That's the workout that will increase these hormones the most.
SonofOdin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daredevil on Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:45 pm

SonofOdin wrote:The more compound exercises you do, the more testosterone, growth hormone, and I would assume DHT, you will produce. A man who heads into the gym to do some cardio and maybe hop on the machines a little is not going to have much of an increase. Another man who goes in with the standard five day a week bodybuilding protocol is going to have a larger increase, but a lot of his exercises are going to be isolations. The last option is the full body workout guy who is forced to do only compound movements to fit in his whole body during the workout. That's the workout that will increase these hormones the most.

Damn. I thought compound exercises was the way to go.

Bro, what would be the best workout routine for someone who wants to add some muscle without hurting his hair too much?
Daredevil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daredevil on Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:46 pm

sanderson wrote:testosterone and DHT are very good for you and your hair.. you want them to be high.. when you put stress on your body... your cortisol is going to go up... it's going to use up your progesterone to turn the hormones into cortisol instead of testosterone.. long distance runners have low T for this reason...

That's good news. Why do most people think DHT is the culprit then?
Daredevil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SonofOdin on Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:47 pm

Daredevil wrote:
SonofOdin wrote:The more compound exercises you do, the more testosterone, growth hormone, and I would assume DHT, you will produce. A man who heads into the gym to do some cardio and maybe hop on the machines a little is not going to have much of an increase. Another man who goes in with the standard five day a week bodybuilding protocol is going to have a larger increase, but a lot of his exercises are going to be isolations. The last option is the full body workout guy who is forced to do only compound movements to fit in his whole body during the workout. That's the workout that will increase these hormones the most.

Bro, what would be the best workout routine for someone who wants to add some muscle without hurting his hair too much?

The best routine is a brisk walk to stay healthy and keep off the pounds. The reason is there is theory on both ends of the spectrum that cardio can be harmful to ones hair(especially when overdone) and lifting can due to the hormonal increases.

But stop and think about this. Is this any way to live? Think about what your goals would be, and take your hair out of the equation for a second. Is the few hairs you -may- lose, worth tossing that away? It's up for you to decide but my personal decision was to lift based on my goals.
SonofOdin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daredevil on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:50 pm

SonofOdin wrote:
Daredevil wrote:

The best routine is a brisk walk to stay healthy and keep off the pounds. The reason is there is theory on both ends of the spectrum that cardio can be harmful to ones hair(especially when overdone) and lifting can due to the hormonal increases.

But stop and think about this. Is this any way to live? Think about what your goals would be, and take your hair out of the equation for a second. Is the few hairs you -may- lose, worth tossing that away? It's up for you to decide but my personal decision was to lift based on my goals.

Yeah, personally the question for me is how much more hair would i lose if i have a average gym routine compared to if i hadn't worked out at all. I hope there won't be much of a difference due to weight lifting alone if everything else remains the same. Then i can quit thinking about hair loss and lift weights. I would prefer being less muscular with hair though, than be a buffed up dude and bald. Laughing
Daredevil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daredevil on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:53 pm

Resistance wrote:

I think different exercises will have different impact, I can tell you for sure that intense exercises like push ups increase your T levels stupidly, this is how I noticed I was thinning on one of my temples, after a summer of pushups (over 100 a day), 3 months after that I got the first signs of MPB, that was last summer, before that I was the occasional gym user (3x/week) and didn't have any thinning. I learnt this the harsh way I wish I had read it somewhere before. I continue to go gym but now control T:E and hairloss overall with some supplements. I wouldn't quit gym because of hairloss...

Since you have worked out in the gym bro, can you suggest a 3 day a week work out routine. Nothing too fancy. Don't want to be a bodybuilder, just build some muscle and lose some belly fat.
Daredevil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hairmaniac on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:15 am

Not sure if the theory that DHT is good for your hair is true, because if that was the case, then most people who inject testosterone into their bodies, would experience hair growth. Instead, they experience hair loss.

However, scientists claim that the increase in testosterone during weight lifting is so insignificant that its very unlikely it will harm your hair. I'd defiently stay away from steroids tho.

Also, be careful to not overtrain
Overtrain = high cortisol

hairmaniac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hairmaniac on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:18 am

Daredevil wrote:
Resistance wrote:

Since you have worked out in the gym bro, can you suggest a 3 day a week work out routine. Nothing too fancy. Don't want to be a bodybuilder, just build some muscle and lose some belly fat.

Not him, but if you want my 2 cents, just go for full body routine plan, that focuses on the compound lifts (squats, bench press, deadlift, overhead press, pull ups, dips etc).

hairmaniac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daredevil on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:26 am

hairmaniac wrote:
Daredevil wrote:
Resistance wrote:

Not him, but if you want my 2 cents, just go for full body routine plan, that focuses on the compound lifts (squats, bench press, deadlift, overhead press, pull ups, dips etc).

Thanks man. Full body 3 days a week fits well in my schedule, but won't i be over training if i hit the same muscle group 3 times a week?

Oh nd yes i will happily stay away from roids. Laughing
Daredevil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hairmaniac on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:35 am

Daredevil wrote:

Thanks man. Full body 3 days a week fits well in my schedule, but won't i be over training if i hit the same muscle group 3 times a week?

Oh nd yes i will happily stay away from roids. Laughing

Highly doubt it since you are not going to hit each muscle group with lot of exercises/sets, for more information check out the program called "starting strength" it's one of the most famous beginner programs. It's optimal for introducing you into compound exercises.

hairmaniac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daredevil on Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:22 am

hairmaniac, thanks for your reply man.
Daredevil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Resistance on Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:25 am

Daredevil wrote:

As I said, before trusting anyone here - an I am sure a lot of people have good intentions - make sure you do your research. DHT is not good for your hair, keep it away from the androgenic receptors at your scalp if you are dht sensitive (some people are not) or else you will end up bald.

Secondly, only you know what muscles you want standing out from the crowd, I work out to be happy with my body not with my hair, I am unaware if my exercises contribute to high testosterone, they probably do but I don't want to know, what I do know is that pushups and other intense exercises like freelectics (I think I spelt that right) increase your T by a big margin so I quit those because I am very sure I started thinning out when I was doing 100 pushups a day.

If you need some advise in terms of gym routine and totally unrelated to hairloss, then my gym exercises are:
day 1- chest (heavy training)
day 2 - biceps, triceps, 6 pack
day 3 - back and shoulders

I don't do cardio because I play intense football sessions on a weekly basis so that's my cardio done.

Whatever you do, you can always add supplements to control your T:E ratio, that's what I do, they sure are best than using nothing.

Resistance

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daredevil on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:08 am

Resistance wrote:
Daredevil wrote:

As I said, before trusting anyone here - an I am sure a lot of people have good intentions - make sure you do your research. DHT is not good for your hair, keep it away from the androgenic receptors at your scalp if you are dht sensitive (some people are not) or else you will end up bald.

Secondly, only you know what muscles you want standing out from the crowd, I work out to be happy with my body not with my hair, I am unaware if my exercises contribute to high testosterone, they probably do but I don't want to know, what I do know is that pushups and other intense exercises like freelectics (I think I spelt that right) increase your T by a big margin so I quit those because I am very sure I started thinning out when I was doing 100 pushups a day.

If you need some advise in terms of gym routine and totally unrelated to hairloss, then my gym exercises are:

I don't do cardio because I play intense football sessions on a weekly basis so that's my cardio done.

Whatever you do, you can always add supplements to control your T:E ratio, that's what I do, they sure are best than using nothing.

Appreciate this post man. Smile

What supplements do you take? I was planning to take Ecklonia Cava, Curcumin and Resveratrol because i can't afford to spend too much money on supplements right now.
Daredevil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Resistance on Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:55 am

My regimen is quite agressive, I have only started last week and I will tackle mainly androgenic receptors and conversion of testosterone to estrogen and thus dht, other than that its de calcification and increased blood flow.

Stinging nettle root - aromatase inhibitor
He shou wu - t:e control, dht catabolism - I am waiting on a new supplement now called Sulforaphane which will help out on dht catabolism too and reducing dht sensivity, or so I read.
Grapeseed extract - bloodflow enhancer, aromatase inhibitor
Vitamin d3, k2 and magnesium - decalcification
Magnesium oil topical before shower - as above
scalp massage with scalp brush and cold hair washes - blow flow

I am tempted to tackle other angles now such as fgf, seen a topical on ebay but quite costly so i will give a couple months to my new regimen and see.

as i said earlier, i only thinned in one of my temples so far, its not aggressive and hasn't progressed for over 6 months where i have only used topicals, 7 star needle, etc...i see a lot of vellus hairs but highly doubt they will grow so im not excited yet.

Resistance

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bov51 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:05 pm

Don't take creatine and you should be good to go.

bov51

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  australian on Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:14 pm

Resistance wrote:

If you play football why don't you train legs?

OP i also recommend doing starting strength, but add pull ups.

The difference lifting weights makes to your hair is negligible, and the physical and mental gains of weightlifting greatly outweigh any tiny difference it might make. Just don't take creatine. The last guy who recommended I take creatine to bulk up was balding hardcore but still told me 'it's perfectly safe and all professional athletes take it'
australian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Resistance on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:58 pm

australian wrote:
Resistance wrote:

The difference lifting weights makes to your hair is negligible, and the physical and mental gains of weightlifting greatly outweigh any tiny difference it might make. Just don't take creatine. The last guy who recommended I take creatine to bulk up was balding hardcore but still told me 'it's perfectly safe and all professional athletes take it'

I played football since I was 4 so I developed my leg muscles quite a lot from shooting and running, I never had skinny legs, quite the opposite, so I never ever in my life trained legs.

Resistance

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daredevil on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:59 pm

Resistance wrote:My regimen is quite agressive, I have only started last week and I will tackle mainly androgenic receptors and conversion of testosterone to estrogen and thus dht, other than that its de calcification and increased blood flow.

Stinging nettle root - aromatase inhibitor
He shou wu - t:e control, dht catabolism - I am waiting on a new supplement now called Sulforaphane which will help out on dht catabolism too and reducing dht sensivity, or so I read.
Grapeseed extract - bloodflow enhancer, aromatase inhibitor
Vitamin d3, k2 and magnesium - decalcification
Magnesium oil topical before shower - as above
scalp massage with scalp brush and cold hair washes - blow flow

I am tempted to tackle other angles now such as fgf, seen a topical on ebay but quite costly so i will give a couple months to my new regimen and see.

as i said earlier, i only thinned in one of my temples so far, its not aggressive and hasn't progressed for over 6 months where i have only used topicals, 7 star needle, etc...i see a lot of vellus hairs but highly doubt they will grow so im not excited yet.

Wow that's a lot. Good luck to you man. Report your progress, we can all benefit from it.
Daredevil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daredevil on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:05 pm

australian wrote:
Resistance wrote:

Thanks man. I won't take creatine, i don't wish to take whey either. Hopefully i can manage my protein requirement through real food.

I have decided to start with a 3 day split, Day 1 - Chest, Triceps. Day 2 -Back, Biceps. Day 3 - Legs and Shoulders.
Daredevil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top