FAQ
 Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Flight attendants fall ill after wearing 'toxic' uniforms which 'make their HAIR fall out'

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Flight attendants fall ill after wearing 'toxic' uniforms which 'make their HAIR fall out'

Post  Xenon on Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:03 pm

I thought I'd create a separate thread on toxic fabrics, as I feel this one deserves special attention:

"Hundreds of Alaska Airlines flight attendants say their new uniforms are making them ill.
The attendants have complained that the outfits, which may be contaminated with a toxic chemical, have caused itching, hair loss and other unpleasant reactions.
In a letter to the companyís president, union leaders representing Alaska Airlines employees demanded that the uniforms are changed.

The Association of Flight Attendants says that 280 flight stewards - roughly one in 10 of the total workforce - have suffered from the side effects since the new uniforms were introduced last year [later reports stated that 700 attendants complained of allergic reactions to the uniforms].
One of the flight attendants told KING5 on Thursday night, 'Iíve never had a uniform like this. I broke out this week. I broke out on my back first, then on my legs.í

The attendant said he didnít know whether the uniform was definitely the cause of the rash but added: ĎI didnít have it until I flew six, seven days in a row and then I started breaking out.í †
It is thought that the smart navy blue suits, made by TwinHill, may be contaminated with the chemical tributyl phosphate, a toxic substance used in synthetic textile manufacturing."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2139763/Hundreds-flight-attendants-toxic-new-uniforms-causing-hair-fall-making-ill.html
Xenon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flight attendants fall ill after wearing 'toxic' uniforms which 'make their HAIR fall out'

Post  Xenon on Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:19 pm

Disperse Orange 37/76, a banned skin and respiratory irritant was found within the fabric of the flight attendant's uniforms...

"Last year, the airline issued new uniforms to its flight attendants. The new uniforms were manufactured by Twin Hill (a division of Men's Wearhouse: †(NYSE:MW) ), and have been found to contain Disperse Orange 37/76, which is a dye that has been banned from use in apparel products, because Disperse Orange 37/76 is a known skin and respiratory irritant. Almost immediately after the new Twin Hill uniforms were issued to the flight attendants, they began to experience skin symptoms -- rash, hives, redness, or itching. A growing number of attendants are also reporting abnormal thyroid functions, hair loss, eye irritation/inflammation, fatigue, shortness of breath, congestion, coughing and asthma."

PGD2 connection to allergic inflammation:

"Prostaglandin D2 (PGD2) is a major prostanoid, produced mainly by mast cells, in allergic diseases, including bronchial asthma. PGD2-induced vasodilatation and increased permeability are well-known classical effects that may be involved in allergic inflammation. Recently, novel functions of PGD2 have been identified. To date, D prostanoid receptor (DP) and chemoattractant receptor homologous molecule expressed on TH2 cells (CRTH2) have been shown to be major PGD2-related receptors. These two receptors have pivotal roles mediating allergic diseases by regulating the functions of various cell types, such as TH2 cells, eosinophils, basophils, mast cells, dendritic cells, and epithelial cells. This review will focus on the current understanding of the roles of PGD2 and its metabolites in TH2 inflammation and the pathogenesis of bronchial asthma."
Xenon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top