Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Diagnose me (pls)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Diagnose me (pls)

Post  froyd on Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:33 am

So I think after all these years I've found the root (pun intended) cause of my hair loss.

I managed to halt my hairloss for a good year through diet, but it wasn't sustainable. I realised early on that both dairy and carbs made me shed like crazy. I adopted a wholefood low carb paleo vegan diet ( Rolling Eyes ) and my hair loss stopped and even grew hairline back over the year.

Benefits I noticed along with hair loss stopping was:

• terrible bacne cleared
  • dark rings under eyes went
  • headaches went
  • immune system was a beast
  • nasal congestion cleared completely
  • ridiculously vivid dreams
  • anxiety went

However I completely fucked my thyroid after a while from undereating and completely depleting my adrenals. Lost about 2 stone in weight, was depressed af, lost interest in sex, had bad digestion issues, lunulas on fingers disappeared (fuk).
My older brother didn't change his diet and his hair loss progressed, his bacne stayed and he has terrible nasal congestion, but didn't lose lunulas etc.

I'm now eating a standard vegan diet, but tried every variation of diet for the last two years. All made my hairloss worse to varying degrees (all had carbs - even fruitarian caused hairloss). All symptoms described above are back.

My hair loss is worst when my allergies are bad. My allergies are worst when I eat grains (even white rice) or dairy. My brother's allergies are a lot worse and so is his hairloss. It's a dust mite allergy.

What do you guys think? initially I thought it was insulin which is why i went low carb, but now I think it's some kind of auto immune response to some infection that carbs fuel due to the symptoms, or maybe just a histamine problem. Both mine and my brother's thyroids are screwed as evident in our eyebrows and RHR, but our dad went bald earlier and his thyroid is a tank so possibly not the main cause of our hair loss...

Any advice/insight would be great
Any questions more than welcome

froyd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diagnose me (pls)

Post  johndoe1225 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:55 am

That's interesting, what does a low carb Paleo/Vegan diet look like?  Is that like keto without dairy or something?

I'm on a modified Paleo diet now (I still eat cooked beans).

Also what kind of hairloss did you have, MPB pattern?

EDIT Nevermind, keto would include meats.

johndoe1225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Growdamnit on Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:26 am

Let me shine my light on the vegan experience. I grew up eating meat and had always been lean, perhaps underweight. Hair loss started when I was about 19. Ever since then I looked towards health as I NEEDED to know how to solve this problem that was ravaging through my body at such a young age; it honestly scared the shit out of me. It was a rocky as hell road because everyone's body is different, but it was a complete learning experience for me. I thought I knew what health was 10, 5, 3, hell, even a year ago, but it is a process and you learn as you go.

Long story short, I had a hard childhood which made me overly empathetic. I ended up watching "Ohio Dairy Farm" on Youtube and it flipped my world. I stopped having all dairy immediately after that video. The road went deeper as that year went on. I cut so many things out that I didn't have any dairy and was down to pescetarian (Only eat fish, no meat. Hard to give up sushi.)

Very soon after that, I was a very strict vegan for 3 years up until recently. My hair loss definitely slowed, but I had attacked the problem from as many angles that I could conceive, so it wasn't certain on if it was the vegan diet alone.

...and then my hair loss continued and I searched other alternatives. I debated on the ethical side of veganism and the claims it makes for health. I ate more produce and I'm ripped now, so I can't complain, but my hair loss had not stopped. Even David Wolfe (a huge vegan proponent) had reverted back to vegetarianism. I believe this is a good step to go back on. I started ingesting A2 milk occasionally and high quality ghee. Just make sure you can get a good source and decide what feels right for you.

Growdamnit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  harechallenge on Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:26 pm

Veganism and vegetarianism have been debunked too many times to count. Intestinal imbalances (dysbiosis) are common with this type of diet(read Dr. Lawrence Wilson's interesting critique of vegetarian diets).  Many others have pointed out that this is not a sustainable or universal way as growing children and pregnant woman can have more issues on such diets. The claim is that there are more birth defects and perhaps  issues that are passed  to future generation. Having said that, veggies are good but in proportion.  Grown adult can get away with a vegan diet but it seems to be doubtful  it is wholesome or complete.  According to Dr. Wilson,  it is difficult to correct intestinal dysbiosis of a long time vegetarian.

harechallenge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johndoe1225 on Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:58 am

harechallenge wrote:Veganism and vegetarianism have been debunked too many times to count. Intestinal imbalances (dysbiosis) are common with this type of diet(read Dr. Lawrence Wilson's interesting critique of vegetarian diets).  Many others have pointed out that this is not a sustainable or universal way as growing children and pregnant woman can have more issues on such diets. The claim is that there are more birth defects and perhaps  issues that are passed  to future generation. Having said that, veggies are good but in proportion.  Grown adult can get away with a vegan diet but it seems to be doubtful  it is wholesome or complete.  According to Dr. Wilson,  it is difficult to correct intestinal dysbiosis of a long time vegetarian.

What about a low-carb Paleo diet, or a Keto-Paleo diet? But with carb refeeding on the weekends or something?

johndoe1225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  froyd on Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:53 am

johndoe

No it was a vegan keto diet of sorts, although I never checked to see if i was in ketosis.. it was just a whole load of veggies, nuts & seeds, beans, herbas and spices, coconut and olives. All of this food was from a local organic farm shop too. Really don't recommend this in hindsight though as I have a feeling that all my success was just from my test levels being super low...

keto Paleo type diet really fucked with my digestion and I was always constipated and I felt the worst I have ever felt.

I have MPB... both granddad's started losing hair in their 40s, dad, brother & I started losing at 19.

Growdammit

Thanks for sharing the experience. I'm equally in the moral and health camps with veganism. I know from personal experience that dairy does me wrong. Acne, scalp + joint inflammation, pseudo-gyno, lots of water retention, blocked nose etc.. I actually feel the best on a vegan diet other than my allergies.

harechallenge

I'm not sure how you can talk with that much conviction when the majority of evidence is to the contrary. But then I suppose we haven't seen a fair study such as paleo vs veganism etc. I personally feel the best eating vegan and it aligns with my morals much better than the rest. (I'll probably have changed my mind in 6 months but we'll see)

Sorry to be selfish guys but does anyone have any thoughts on my allergies? I would really love some direction in that department

froyd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johndoe1225 on Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:57 am

froyd wrote:johndoe

No it was a vegan keto diet of sorts, although I never checked to see if i was in ketosis.. it was just a whole load of veggies, nuts & seeds, beans, herbas and spices, coconut and olives. All of this food was from a local organic farm shop too. Really don't recommend this in hindsight though as I have a feeling that all my success was just from my test levels being super low...

Well I kind of feel that way eating beans so it has to be on an individual basis.

I'm going to eliminate legumes and do proper Paleo and get back to you.

johndoe1225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  froyd on Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:11 am

johndoe1225 wrote:
Well I kind of feel that way eating beans so it has to be on an individual basis.

I'm going to eliminate legumes and do proper Paleo and get back to you.

Fair enough. Look into the Wahls Protocol if you wanna take it to the next level. Good luck

froyd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  harechallenge on Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:48 am

Mr Froyd, I'm not paleo.  Nor am I vegetarian. My main point is that there is no universal across the board plan. If it works for you, fine. But you are complaining that you feel bad? A lot of people on those diets have echoed that. So your own self is evidence (if you feel so bad) that's tending to refute your own diet.
There are a lot people saying they abandoned strict veget. and healed. Whether 1 diet is better for gut flora than another? You get conflicting studies due to variables. For example, juink & meat eating couch potatoes vs veggie health nuts.
Some vegetarians go into denial that such a diet is the cause and blame other things.

Last edited by harechallenge on Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total

harechallenge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  froyd on Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:50 am

fair points

froyd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  harechallenge on Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:55 am

sorry I just edited. Have you looked into what diet goes with your blood type?
It's an interesting theory that's more current than acid/alkaline and yin-yang.

harechallenge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  froyd on Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:52 am

yes I'm blood type A which is another reason why I am vegan (although I'm unsure of the legitimacy of this). thanks for the suggestion.

froyd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  harechallenge on Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:42 pm

Actually, mostly vegetarianism is recommended for Type A, but meat eating is good for type O. That's according to Dr. D'Adamo's works.
The claim is based on the way blood typed immune systems typically react to food types. But you feel unwell? Did you get a physical w/ blood tests recently?

harechallenge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  harechallenge on Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:23 am

https://authoritynutrition.com/top-5-reasons-why-vegan-diets-are-a-terrible-idea/

harechallenge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  froyd on Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:48 am

Thank you for the link harechallenge, but as I stated above I am well versed in the pro's and con's of many different types of diets. I have been reading non stop since i started losing hair in 2013. We can both back and forth with sources that contradict each other forever so it's pointless. My choice of a vegan diet is me going off what diet makes me feel the best - it took me a long time to learn to stop reading blog posts about which diet is best and start listening to my body.

It isn't perfect, but is the best compromise of symptoms. I feel vibrant and healthy with lots of energy - my only issues are blocked sinuses, back acne, rings under eyes and of course hair loss, all of which are made worse when animal products are added. This is why I am asking for help - as it seems no matter what I do these things persist, which makes me think it isn't a dietary problem. I haven't had any blood tests ran for at least a year now, so no help there sadly.

froyd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  vg on Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:08 am

harechallenge wrote:https://authoritynutrition.com/top-5-reasons-why-vegan-diets-are-a-terrible-idea/

! month ago I finished an essay about cardiovascular diseases and plant based diet. I found amazing benefits in vegan diet in at least 12 journal articles-studies.

From your source ''There Are No Studies Showing That They’re Better Than Other Diets''

I stop to read here.

vg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  harechallenge on Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:19 am

vg, at least I cited a source. no offense, but you referred to 12 journal articles without a citation or name. Maybe you can convert me.
I know somebody who is a vegetarian and her many arguments and claims annoyed me, but I got in good shape because she stimulated an interest in health and longevity. So the veggie cause is useful in many ways. It does bring some positives. But even she admitted to consuming whey powder.

froyd, are you taking supplements? blood tests revealed I was D3 deficient. Another possibility is allergy tests.

harechallenge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  vg on Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:37 am

harechallenge wrote:vg, at least I cited a source. no offense, but you referred to 12 journal articles without a citation or name. Maybe you can convert me.

If I cite sources like the one you post in an essay for my univercity, I will probably not pass the exam:P
The sources I talk about are closed in the univercity's library. You have to pay to open them if you are not studying there.
I don't know if vegan diet can benefit hair, but health in general? yes I m sure.

That's my opinion though

PS. I don't like vegan nazis btw:P

vg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  harechallenge on Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:50 am

well, I figured you wouldn't produce details. I have read that 7th Day Adventists , who are often vegan or the like, have less heart disease and live longer. Yet many contend that those studies are facile. For instance, these people rarely drink or smoke and probably exercise more than the general population. Is that how university is spelled in UK?

harechallenge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  vg on Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:12 am

No it is univesity:) yes these are some simple limitations that dont exist in a proper study. For example you can find the factor that plays the greater role. Nevertheless each of us can keep his opinion for health and veganism, while there is no evidence for hair benefits.

vg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  harechallenge on Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:50 pm

I wonder if Prince's death is being blamed on his diet?

harechallenge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top