Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

One problem tooth

View previous topic View next topic Go down

One problem tooth

Post  The Hulk on Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:41 pm

I have a tooth that was filled about a year ago. It had a massive cavity and the Dentist said that the cavity was so large that it came real close to the root. The Dentist was concerned and advised that I may need a root canal. For a while now it has been sensitive to cold and hurts when I bite down on the tooth. I went back to the Dentist last month and he advised there is gum recession and maybe a possible crack in the filling or tooth. The Dentist filled the tooth again and did his best to make sure it was sealed.

The tooth is still sensitive to cold and hurts to bite down on.

Can anyone share what they have done in a similar situation to me? I do not know what to do. I do not want a root canal and I would rather not have the tooth pulled out.

Thanks,

The Hulk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: One problem tooth

Post  shaftless on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:44 am

Brush with sensodyne toothpaste and chew a gum with xylitol (alcohol-based sugar) in it like trident gum. Xylitol has been proven to reduce bacterial infections if that is part of the problem. I had a similar situation and the pain will usually go away in time. But your tooth is on borrowed time. Mine lasted a while before the filling eventually broke and fell out. Root canals are painless these days but expensive. Maybe when it breaks have it removed and make a false one with a bridge to hold it in place. I still have my tooth but it's only half there and so far I'm getting away with it. Don't feel any discomfort or anything and you can only see it when you smile really big.

shaftless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hulk on Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:39 am

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am not sure a root canal is the way to go. I have read that these can be real bad for your overall health. Do you think the tooth is too far gone?

The Hulk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shaftless on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:12 pm

Hard to say. Don't chew anything too hard on that side if you can help it. In my case the tooth was dying and nothing really could've been done...which why it eventually broke when I bit somethng too hard by accident.

shaftless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johndoe1225 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:55 pm

Like shaft said try sensodyne, maybe even coconut oil pulling because just why not.

I promise I'm telling the tooth.

johndoe1225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Delphine on Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:24 pm

johndoe1225 wrote:Like shaft said try sensodyne, maybe even coconut oil pulling because just why not.

I promise I'm telling the tooth.

...the whole tooth, and nothing but Smile

http://mizar5.com/heal.htm

Dr. Nara told us just how much healing could be expected from a tooth: "It ranges from some little pinpoint cavities here and there all the way to a tooth that's rotted right off at the gum line, you're not going to grow a whole new crown on it. The little ones will heal, remineralize up to about two millimeters deep. What will happen in a tooth that is severely decayed is that the stump will firm up. Instead of being soft and mushy, it develops a leathery consistency. A healed tooth will remain resistant to decay as long as the oral conditions are beneficial."

Erling Johansen, D.M.D., Ph.D., a dental researcher at the University of Rochester, also told PREVENTION that teeth can heal themselves. "The extent of remineralization depends on the location of the cavity. If the cavity is in an area where the saliva has access to it - and if you have sufficient saliva - that cavity can be hardened. The cavity won't progress any further. If the person decides he or she wants it filled for aesthetic reasons, you can just touch it up a bit. The drilling is much simpler, then."
Delphine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top