Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

MSM straight in at the deep end

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MSM straight in at the deep end

Post  Benjamin Button on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:19 am

Having already done basically every supplement known to man, it's hard to know what worked in the long run..   I did small doses of msm before but never singled it out as a winner.

Recently however, I read good things about high dosing so I put it back on the squad.

I casually decided to begin dosing at 30 grams a day. (Because I'm a special human and the rules don't apply to me.)

...Jesus Christ, maybe that was too much too soon, I've been shitting my guts out for 3 days, my head is thumping and I am exhausted.

But this is great, it means I'm Detoxing like a champ. And I swear my hair is softer healthier already!
Benjamin Button

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MSM straight in at the deep end

Post  johndoe1225 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:37 am

How do you measure it?

I have kitchen measuring spoons, but is a tablespoon really 15 grams, or is it less since MSM is a powder?

And you have to level the spoons out to be accurate right?

Right now I just use a heaped teaspoon and don't really worry about it.

Also are you taking vitamin C? Vitamin C works together with MSM to help it get absorbed or something. Also I think that CS said that MSM antagonizes the mineral molybdenum, so perhaps a multimineral would be a good idea?

johndoe1225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Benjamin Button on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:15 pm

I was taking two heaped tea spoons x 3, figured that was 30g.

I also read the molybdenum thing, but in another post I saw he said that the guy who originally said that turned out to be wrong, I will supp molybdenum at some point in future but sulphur is way more important right now.

Yeah I take vit c after 30 minutes.
Benjamin Button

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:53 am

It's an odd supplement.

Taurine - which is also sulfur - in theory does the same thing and at least has science behind it

iuyyighghghgkh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Benjamin Button on Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:20 pm

I already did a run with taurine. I may do another run at high dose.

My response to msm 30g and 5g vit c is one of the fastest responses to a supp I have ever had.
It's only been a week, and the texture of my skin and hair is noticibly improved. Very soft bristles everywhere.

I'm no newb to this shit either, I've done the immortal hair regimen, the Ray peat thing, even other regimens. When you do a little bit of everything inconsistently, it's hard to make serious gains.
I find that progress gets slower when you try to justify every pill with published "science". You miss opportunities, under dose, and trust papers that have little real world affect.

I bet most of the people pining over all the literature, don't even cover the basics. Like mag chloride topicals on your body daily, or hit even the RDAs of vitamins and minerals.

At this point in time all you have is anecdotal reports, but they are a valuable source of info... In the future this stuff will all be common knowledge, but for now why don't you order pure msm powder and vit c, and smash 30-40 grams for a month and tell us what happens?
Benjamin Button

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johndoe1225 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:24 am

MSM is also supposed to be good topically for skin.

Are you going to lower the dose a bit and work it back up slowly to avoid severe side effects like you mentioned? When I finally increase my dose I'm going to do it slowly so I only get slight detox symptoms over a period of time instead of all at once.

johndoe1225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Benjamin Button on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:35 am

Bro if this shit is fixing my body, then I'm prepared to stick out the detox...

I am on a work break so I can afford to go hard, lol

I keep sayin this detox is too much, but then when I go to spoon out the msm, I shovel it in coz I'm a hard bastard who wants his hair thickness back
Benjamin Button

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johndoe1225 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:11 am

Well if you have a break I guess it's better to get the detox out of the way ASAP, but for me I think it's best to go a bit slower

johndoe1225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Benjamin Button on Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:02 am

I need some information, it would be great if a veteran or CS himself could answer..

Basically, how long should be adequate to complete a sulfur replenishment protocol with MSM high dosed at 40 grams?

I'm prepared to do a year if needs be, but that's probably unnecessary.

It's safe, but I did read one thread here about negative effects in rats at huge doses.

I'm seeing great results after 2 weeks. I feel pretty lousy due to detox, but my skin and hair is definitely improving.

There are no timeframes out there for high dose stints. An msm forum talks about getting up to 40 grams but does not state how long to stay at that level, before reducing to maintenance dose. Maybe 2-3 months should be good before dropping right down to 6 grams.
Benjamin Button

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johndoe1225 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:14 am

^ Also, I read somewhere that too much MSM could actually CAUSE a sulfur deficiency, that's not true is it?  I'd really like some reassurance if possible.

What brand of MSM are you using Benjamin? I'm using Vitamin Shoppe brand of OptiMSM.

johndoe1225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Benjamin Button on Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:23 am

I use "bulkpowders.co.uk". They do a pure msm powder at good value.

Sulfur deficiency? Whaaaat? ..source?

I just listened the msm clip from longevity post. He says a teaspoon for every 45kg of body weight, twice a day. So I'm like 80kg, round up, 2 teaspoons in the am and 2 in the pm, for a total of 4 teaspoons. That's about 16 - 20 grams... I think I'll just go with that then... From now on, if my calculations are correct?
Benjamin Button

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johndoe1225 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:48 am

Oh, that sounds very manageable

I don't remember where I read that, I just hope it's not true Very Happy

It doesn't really make sense so I don't think it is anyway

johndoe1225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:06 pm

There are some related threads on this in the past.

The "Immortal Hair" regimen if we can call it that is highly sulfur based. Meaning that besides the sources of sulfur, there are sulfur transporters. There is a "4th" phase (gelatinous form), that would turn the blood into "jello" so for the body to transport sulfur it has to go through an elaborate process.

Take with a lot of water (sulfur side-effects are generally expected)...taking more actually helps (contrary to most other things) yet plenty of water is emphasized along with more sulfur.

So yes, thing like headaches, feeling sick will be expected (if you take too little), especially in the beginning or have a lot to "clean out" The solution is to take even more and yes, also plenty of water.

Also, yes molybdenum will be depleted if you take it long enough. This can cause other issues.

So, whether you take sulfur in powder or tablets, either add some molybdenum at some point or take a form that has it already, such as: http://amzn.to/2mg8hT3

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
Admin

View user profile http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  johndoe1225 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:27 pm

CausticSymmetry wrote:There are some related threads on this in the past.

The "Immortal Hair" regimen if we can call it that is highly sulfur based. Meaning that besides the sources of sulfur, there are sulfur transporters. There is a "4th" phase (gelatinous form), that would turn the blood into "jello" so for the body to transport sulfur it has to go through an elaborate process.

Take with a lot of water (sulfur side-effects are generally expected)...taking more actually helps (contrary to most other things) yet plenty of water is emphasized along with more sulfur.

So yes, thing like headaches, feeling sick will be expected (if you take too little), especially in the beginning or have a lot to "clean out"  The solution is to take even more and yes, also plenty of water.

Also, yes molybdenum will be depleted if you take it long enough. This can cause other issues.  

So, whether you take sulfur in powder or tablets, either add some molybdenum at some point or take a form that has it already, such as: http://amzn.to/2mg8hT3

Thanks for the info CS!

I eat a ton of Great Northern Beans, which I think are kidney beans, they are white, and WHFoods lists 225 calories worth of kidney beans as having 295% of the daily recommended amount of molybdenum, and I'm pretty sure I eat more than that.  Do you think I'll be ok without supplementing additional molybdenum considering that, say if I take maybe 10-20 grams of MSM a day? Or even 30 grams?

johndoe1225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Benjamin Button on Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:29 am

Thanks for the Input CS, really appreciate it. I'm a big fan and I do read your blog posts and websites, and search this forum for archived threads.

...But some of the posts are a decade old now, and I just want to make sure the info still stands, ya know?.... alot can change over time and we're always learning new things. Also some of the posts are contradictory, as can be expected over a decade, so sometimes clarification can really help with my decisions.

But while we're talking MSM, I have more questions, if you feel like answering.

1.) Can MSM make you smell like garlic/egg/sulfur???

2.) A health coach told me not to take MSM because too many people are "under-methylators" or something... is this nonsense?
Benjamin Button

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:01 am

johndoe1225 - That's about 132 mcg of Molybdenum. With that type of dose of sulfur, you'll probably want to take in a little more.

CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:12 am

Benjamin Button wrote:
Thanks for the Input CS, really appreciate it. I'm a big fan and I do read your blog posts and websites, and search this forum for archived threads.

...But some of the posts are a decade old now, and I just want to make sure the info still stands, ya know?....  alot can change over time and we're always learning new things.   Also some of the posts are contradictory, as can be expected over a decade, so sometimes clarification can really help with my decisions.

But while we're talking MSM, I have more questions, if you feel like answering.

1.) Can MSM make you smell like garlic/egg/sulfur???

2.) A health coach told me not to take MSM because too many people are "under-methylators" or something...  is this nonsense?

DMSO when taken internally can make a person smell like this, but not MSM form of sulfur (which is made from DMSO), yet no internal smell.

Yes, the belief by the coach that MSM would be "inappropriate" for an under-methylator is in fact not supported by research. In fact, I've seen many "under_methylators" do well with it. Being an under-methylator really means not being able to use sulfur as effectively as others (they need it just as much as others).

CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  johndoe1225 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:35 am

Thanks CS!

johndoe1225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johndoe1225 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:03 am

Oh by the way, is "OptiMSM" a good type of MSM?  I buy Vitamin Shoppe brand MSM, and in the ingredients it says MSM (OptiMSM).

OptiMSM is made in the US by Bergstrom Nutrition.

So whatever brand I buy, as long as it says OptiMSM it should be fine?  Because I noticed the price varies a bit between the VS brand and, for example, Source Naturals, which is more expensive, but also uses "OptiMSM".

johndoe1225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top