Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Resveratrol vs Pterostilbene

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Resveratrol vs Pterostilbene

Post  Guitarfan32 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:11 am

Hi there, I already was taking a great deal of the supplements mentioned in the original IH regimen before ever discovering it. I guess I was on the right track, but I was doing it for other reasons, and haven't seen any halting of hair loss let alone regrowth. I ordered ecklonia cava, and will be getting some of the other supplements to round things out. First things first, there isn't really a great suitable bioavailable form of curcumin, I spent a long time researching this. So I take a variation of the standard C3 complex curcumin which seems to have enough happy customers on the reviews for said products. That being said I have read of Resveratrol's synergy with curcumin, but have also read about it's poor bioavailability as well. I eventually stumbled upon Pterostilbene which appears to be 4x More bioavailable than Resveratrol, and much more effective. Pterostilbene.

Pterostilbene is a chemical cousin of resveratrol, they are very similar. Both are naturally-occurring, with trace amounts in grapes, wine, blueberries and other berries.

Resveratrol and pterostilbene are strong anti-inflammatories, with inhibition of both COX-1 and COX-2. COX-2 inhibition is the important one, associated with lower risk of cancer and dementia, while COX-1 has mixed benefits and problems.
Both pterostilbene and resveratrol show activity against cancer cells in cell cultures.
Both pterostilbene and resveratrol are powerful anti-oxidants, but this is probably not the source of their benefit. The whole oxidative theory of aging has been in decline for quite some years, since the failure of anti-oxidant vitamins to extend life span.
When pterostilbene is directly compared to resveratrol in cell cultures and animal studies, often pterostilbene performs better.

A 2005 study from US Dept of Agriculture reported that pterostilbene beats out resveratrol in its effect on the HDL/LDL ratio in the blood (more “good cholestrol”, less “bad cholesterol”). Tests were performed with hamsters. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf0580364

In a 2012 study out of Case Western Reserve, mice were bred to be vulnerable to Alzheimer’s disease, and pterostilbene—but not resveratrol—helped delay the disease. Using spatial memory tests that are standard for rats and mice, they showed that the mice actually improved performance when fed pterostilbene.

Rats show a decline in memory with age that can be measured in the lab, and various stilbenes (including resveratrol) were tried to bring the rats’ memory back. Pterostilbene worked best. The same study showed that pterostilbene could help maintain levels of dopamine, suggesting that it might be useful in preventing Parkinson’s disease.

"Low-dose pterostilbene, but not resveratrol, is a potent neuromodulator in aging and Alzheimer’s disease. Neurobiology of aging"
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21982274

"Cellular and behavioral effects of stilbene resveratrol analogues: implications for reducing the deleterious effects of aging. Journal of agricultural and food chemistry"
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18954071

So basically I am wondering if this close natural cousin of resveratrol should be considered when taken in tandem with curcumin instead given it's generally superior efficacy. I'd be curious to hear immortal hair's thoughts on this. I also take a supplement called glisodin which really deserves it's own thread, but I can't honestly suggest it does wonder for hair after taking it for years, but it is great as a general antioxidant supplement.

Guitarfan32

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum