FAQ
 Search
Natural Hair Loss Regimen

DIM might be detrimental

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DIM might be detrimental

Post  DM5 on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:41 am

I have read similar reactions to this guys about DIM. He tried it topically:

"Conclusion: DIM might be a good anti-androgen but it does also 2 other things that are bad for hair.

DIM is a powerful anti-angiogenic, meaning that it will prevent new, small blood vessels from forming. This feature is good to fight or prevent cancer but very bad for hair growth.

DIM is also a powerful aromatase inhibitor, meaning that it will prevent testosterone from converting into estrogen in the scalp. this is also very bad for hair- more Test will trigger shedding. I think that this is was what caused my shedding.

While on DIM my libido was very, very high and acne was high, both signs pointing to a sharp increase in testosterone."

Wondering if oral dose 200mg a day would not negatively impact hair?

DM5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DIM might be detrimental

Post  CausticSymmetry on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:39 am

danmrtini - Having anti-angiogenic attributes is not at all negative. The reason is that the human body is far more complex than an on or off switch. In fact, many supplements I have used for years and still do have anti-angiogenic qualities.

Probably the best example of why DIM is not a bad supplement for hair is because it fights a protein that promotes angiogenesis. Why is this good? Secreted matrix metalloprotease 9 is a well documented enzyme that degenerates the hair follicle. This type of angiogenesis via matrix metalloprotease 9 increases blood vessels to feed tumor growth.

You may notice that most natural supplements that help with hair loss also combat cancer. Also, while heart disease benefits from angiogenesis, it does not mean that DIM or others will cause a shut down of this process. Fortunately the body is far more complicated than that.

Generally though, DIM isn't really needed for those under the age of 35 although it does inhibit DHT.

CausticSymmetry
Admin

View user profile http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nuada on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:59 am

Does the 7 hmr lignans do the same thing ?

Nuada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:04 pm

Nuada - 7 hydroxymatresinol (7-HMR) can inhibit angiogenesis, at least in animal studies regarding tumor growth.

CausticSymmetry
Admin

View user profile http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  johnt on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:05 pm

danmrtini wrote:DIM is also a powerful aromatase inhibitor, meaning that it will prevent testosterone from converting into estrogen in the scalp. this is also very bad for hair- more Test will trigger shedding. I think that this is was what caused my shedding.

You're assuming that testosterone is the culprit and not estrogen. There's a theory about prostate problems, for example, that states that there is evidence that aging often involves accumulation of estrogen in the human prostate gland. So estrogen may be a main contributor for benign prostate enlargement. Estradiol, the active form of estrogen creates increased risk for prostate cancer. Combined with its adverse metabolites, high levels of circulating estrogen can also be used to predict an increased risk for atherosclerosis and heart attack.

I actually think there's an inter-connectedness at play between DHT and estrogen when it comes to hairloss, and that is the reason why you start balding at a certain age. I believe that it's the ratio of DHT to estrogen (at some level), that determines hairloss.

As we age, our DHT to estrogen ratio gets out of whack, favoring estrogen. I believe testosterone is good, estrogen is bad (to a certain point of course -- there's an optimal ratio). As we age, we should work to prevent the ratio from getting out of whack, and DIM is one of the key components in doing this.

johnt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:33 pm

Sorry for bumping such an old topic but it is my understanding that DIM doesn't actually inhibit aromatase. Instead it speeds up the liver's metabolization of estrogen (estradiol is broken down and expelled from the body at a faster rate). This study actaully states that DIM is capabale of increasing aromatase http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11294972.

baller234

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JosephineMarie on Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:11 pm

Baller- link's not working

JosephineMarie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sky-walker on Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:18 am

I don't think DIM is aromatase inhibitor , he 's mostly estrogenic. When i was suffering from finasteride sides effects , i took DIM for try and it made my sides worst.

sky-walker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top