Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Thoughts on Sleep

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thoughts on Sleep

Post  john3333 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:08 pm

Sleep is important, yet the body does not have a quick negative reaction to sleep deprivation. Staying up late at night doesn't hurt. Sometimes when we do something harmful like touching fire, we will react and feel pain. Sleep deprivation is harmful, but there isn't a reaction like that. The body reacts slowly over days, and weeks, and months, etc... It's similar to eating unhealthy food. It can feel good and it doesn't hurt even though it's bad for you. The difference is that the morning after a night with little sleep you feel sleepy.

Another difference between eating bad food and sleep deprivation is that I don't really care about flavor much. Sleep deprivation is about time. I guess I do it because I feel like I'm missing out on something or I will miss out on something or that whatever I'm doing will benefit me in the future. I guess I sleep deprive because I think that whatever I use my time not sleeping will help me somehow.

But really, sleep deprivation doesn't really help. I don't use my time doing anything useful. In the long run its bad. It makes me lose concentration throughout the day.

But it's tough to start sleeping early. I try to go to sleep at 10PM. If I allow myself to stay awake any later, it becomes a slippery slope. If I allow myself 10 or 20 minutes, it truly becomes 3 hours or 4 hours. I'm able to do this by telling myself that it will help me in the future. I tell myself that it'll eventually become a habit.

So it's best to be strict on myself and go to sleep at 10 PM.

I don't know what to do at those times where I am awake at midnight and later. The thought of going to sleep does cross my mind, but I don't obey it. At those times I feel unmotivated to start sleeping. I guess at this point it feels like going to sleep won't help me in the future. I've already failed. But it's a gradient of failure. More sleep deprivation is worse. Less is less bad. But nothing works. I guess it's because I can't say this will become a habit. I wouldn't want it to be a habit to sleep at 3 AM.

But I guess it is a good habit after all. To form the habit of being able to sleep when it's late at night. To form the habit of going to sleep when I've avoided sleep.

Now that I've realized this, I feel motivated to sleep. There's a difference between the habit of sleeping at a certain time and habit of going to sleep when it's way past that certain time. Maybe habit isn't the right word, but you know what I mean. It may sound ridiculous, but I think I'm motivated to go to sleep now! Good night! Sleep
john3333

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Thoughts on Sleep

Post  john3333 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:02 am

The creation of the habit(or whatever you can call it) of going to sleep at 10PM and the creation of the habit of starting to sleep after I've failed to go to sleep at 10 PM may seem excessive, but its necessary. They are two different habits and both needed.
There are two different periods.
The first period is the time before the habits are actually made. During this time I will fail many times and sleep at times later than 10PM, so the second habit will become handy to prevent even more sleep deprivation and to move towards a normal sleeping schedule. I'll also be trying to work on habit #1, of course.
The second period is where habit #1 is actually made. At this point I won't need habit #2, but it helped me get to this point. This period will hopefully last to the end of my life. I can finally have peace and happiness.

Both habits are part of the same goal. They are almost the same muscle I'm training. Habit #2 seems more useless, but it's actually an important part since it's a common problem of mine. Or it's like Habit #1 is the muscle and habit #2 is a small part of the muscle. By training #2, I help #1 or my goal. Either way, it helps me. But really, both habits are different muscles, but they work for the same goal.
john3333

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top