FAQ
 Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Has anyone tried topical onion juice with success to regrow hair?

Go down

Has anyone tried topical onion juice with success to regrow hair?

Post  sizzlinghairs on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:39 am

I feel like this prolly has been brought up before but it seems many on the internet have had success with an onion based topical..

Anyone on here?

sizzlinghairs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone tried topical onion juice with success to regrow hair?

Post  angled on Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:24 pm

Onion juice is a well-known remedy for hair health, specifically for hair loss. And from ancient times onion has many medicinal benefits because of the nutrients like vitamins, minerals, sulfuric compounds and many other.

In a small study published in the Journal of Dermatology, researchers indicated that applying onion juice to the scalp might help to regrow hair in some people.

But it doesn’t show the benefits to all people and also not provide any strong evidence to support the benefits of onion juice.

As it also not a cure for hair loss conditions like alopecia or patterned baldness.

Study support that it stimulate and protect the current hair and there is no proven result that it will surely help to reserve the hair loss.

As hair loss is very common and may involve bald patches, complete baldness or gradual thinning.

But the most common cause of hair thinning or loss is a hereditary condition called androgenetic alopecia.

Other causes for hair loss can develop include certain medical conditions, as a side effect of some medications, and hormonal changes.

angled

View user profile https://rejuvenatehairtransplant.com/hair-transplant-in-india/

Back to top Go down

Post  imprisoned-radical on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:01 am

Onion juice is a good source of magnesium, silica, and quercetin. Magnesium is absorbed through the skin pretty well, but I'm not so sure about quercetin and silica. If quercetin is absorbed well, I believe that it would have three major benefits for improving hair:

(1) immune-modulation. It inhibits the release of inflammatory cytokines like TNF-alpha and IL-1a from white blood cells in the skin.
(2) inhibits signaling of corticotropin releasing factor (CRF) in hair follicles, which can be a major cause of stress-induced hair loss
(3) antioxidant

Quercetin protects cutaneous tissue-associated cell types including sensory neurons from oxidative stress induced by glutathione depletion: cooperative effects of ascorbic acid.
Skaper SD, Fabris M, Ferrari V, Dalle Carbonare M, Leon A.
Source

Researchlife S.c.p.A., Castelfranco Veneto, Italy.
Abstract

Oxidation reactions are essential biological reactions necessary for the formation of high-energy compounds used to fuel metabolic processes, but can be injurious to cells when produced in excess. Cutaneous tissue is especially susceptible to damage mediated by reactive oxygen species and low-density lipoprotein oxidation, triggered by dysmetabolic diseases, inflammation, environmental factors, or aging. Here we have examined the ability of the flavonoid quercetin to protect cutaneous tissue-associated cell types from injury induced by oxidative stress, and possible cooperative effects of ascorbic acid. Human skin fibroblasts, keratinocytes, and endothelial cells were cultured in the presence of buthionine sulfoximine (BSO), an irreversible inhibitor of glutathione (GSH) synthesis. Depletion of intracellular levels of GSH leads to an accumulation of cellular peroxides and eventual cell death. Quercetin concentration-dependently (EC50: 30-40 microM) reduced oxidative injury of BSO to all cell types, and was also effective when first added after BSO washout. BSO caused marked decreases in the intracellular level of GSH, which remained depressed in quercetin-protected cells. Ascorbic acid, while by itself not cytoprotective synergized with quercetin, lowered the quercetin EC50 and prolonged the window for cytoprotection. The related flavonoids rutin and dihydroquercetin also decreased BSO-induced injury to dermal fibroblasts, albeit less efficaciously so than quercetin. The cytoprotective effect of rutin, but not that of dihydroquercetin, was enhanced in the presence of ascorbic acid. Further, quercetin rescued sensory ganglion neurons from death provoked by GSH depletion. Direct oxidative injury to this last cell type has not been previously demonstrated. The results show that flavonoids are broadly protective for cutaneous tissue-type cell populations subjected to a chronic intracellular form of oxidative stress. Quercetin in particular, paired with ascorbic acid, may be of therapeutic benefit in protecting neurovasculature structures in skin from oxidative damage.

imprisoned-radical

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johndoe1225 on Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:24 am

Can I use a blender to mix, for example, a full onion with some liquefied (after it's heated) coconut oil to get it going? If I blend it enough would that be more or less the same thing as juicing? It's also MUCH easier to get it to stay in place. Also what types on onion would be best to use? I just use red onions. Throwing in some garlic and maybe other stuff into the mixed would be a good idea too, wouldn't it?

johndoe1225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  imprisoned-radical on Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:00 am

johndoe1225 wrote:Can I use a blender to mix, for example, a full onion with some liquefied (after it's heated) coconut oil to get it going?  If I blend it enough would that be more or less the same thing as juicing?  It's also MUCH easier to get it to stay in place.  Also what types on onion would be best to use?  I just use red onions.  Throwing in some garlic and maybe other stuff into the mixed would be a good idea too, wouldn't it?

Red onions are the best! They have the highest concentration of quercetin, particularly in the outermost layers of the onion. I think adding water to the red onions in the blender would work as well as coconut oil. However the lipids in the coconut oil might increase the absorption of the quercetin into the skin.

I haven't used garlic much as a topical, but my best guess is that it can be more harsh/irritating than onions. Hence there's a possibility of increasing inflammation. But you can experiment.

imprisoned-radical

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  1alexie on Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:18 pm

Here is what I have found online;

"The sulfur from onions may also help promote collagen production. ... Applying onion juice to the hair and scalp could increase blood supply to hair follicles, which in turn improves hair growth."

1alexie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johndoe1225 on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:13 am

imprisoned-radical wrote:
johndoe1225 wrote:Can I use a blender to mix, for example, a full onion with some liquefied (after it's heated) coconut oil to get it going?  If I blend it enough would that be more or less the same thing as juicing?  It's also MUCH easier to get it to stay in place.  Also what types on onion would be best to use?  I just use red onions.  Throwing in some garlic and maybe other stuff into the mixed would be a good idea too, wouldn't it?

Red onions are the best! They have the highest concentration of quercetin, particularly in the outermost layers of the onion. I think adding water to the red onions in the blender would work as well as coconut oil. However the lipids in the coconut oil might increase the absorption of the quercetin into the skin.

I haven't used garlic much as a topical, but my best guess is that it can be more harsh/irritating than onions. Hence there's a possibility of increasing inflammation. But you can experiment.

Sounds great thanks, I never even thought to add water lol, maybe I'll add water and just a little bit of CO.

johndoe1225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rudiger on Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:22 am

I've never tried it long enough to see results but applying an onion to my hair always feels great. I'm quite confident it would work if tried long-term.

Any ideas on how to remove the onion smell? Could a baking soda rinse work?

Rudiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down