Reduced beard growth

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reduced beard growth

Post  RC on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:41 am

Since starting on most of the IH supps, I've noticed significantly reduced beard growth. It's shocking actually -- it now takes me 3-4 full days to attain a a light 5 o'clock shadow. Before starting on the IH supps, I would get the same amount of growth in less than 24 hours.

The supps I added after which I noticed this phenomenon are:
Biotin
BCM-95 Curcumin
GliSODin
Green Tea caps
Others:
Zyflamend (anti-inflammatory)
Hyaluronic Acid

What's the "culprit"? Perhaps curcumin?

I believe reduced beard growth correlates with reduced DHT, and is therefore beneficial for hair growth (on scalp).

I haven't been able to take EC consistently because it drastically increases my sleep requirements. I haven't been able to get past the 2 week mark, after which these sides are said to subside. RC

RC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reduced beard growth

Post  johnt on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:13 am

Both green tea and cucrumin are said to play a role in dht reduction, although I'd be surprised if it did by that much. Are you taking any essential fatty acids?

johnt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RC on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:34 am

I have been taking fish oil for several years .. is that relevant in your opinion?

The stunted facial hair phenomenon started almost a week after adding the supplements, so there's a strong likelihood it is one or more of these supps, or a combination of them.

I suppose this means the supps are working, but I'm curious to know which specific supp is responsible. RC

RC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johnt on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:51 am

RC-

Omega 3's help keep dht in check, but from what I understand it acts more to reduce excess dht. I was curious if you had added borage oil, which in my opinion reduces dht to a greater extent (but not nearly like a drung such as fin). But obviously if you've been taking the fish oil for years then it's not whats causing the decreased beard growth.

Perhaps the top 6 reduces dht more than is believed, or perhaps it is inhibiting it from binding to receptors... seems more likely the latter since I haven't heard of anyone suffering from low libido while on the IH regimen alone, quite the opposite actually.

I'll tell you one thing, about two years ago when I started the IH regimen I was on fin. Well I didn't think I had sexual side effects at the time, but when I started the IH regimen in tandem with the fin my libido took a huge hit, it was basically non-existent. Well I eventually weaned myself completely from fin, while retaining the IH regimen, and my libido eventually came back in full force. Oh and back when I was on both the IH regimen and the fin, I was not using curcumin (it wasn't even on the regimen at the time), but green tea was ... long story short, I think green tea is a relatively potent dht inhibitor.

johnt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Petch on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:09 am

Hey Jont, did you manage to keep your hair after quitting fin?

Petch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johnt on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:05 am

Petch- I was a great responder to propecia, it regrew my hairline and maintained it the entire time I was using it, which was about 8 years. I wanted to get off though because I started noticing sides and I started realizing it probably wasn't a good idea to be on it long term anyway. Anyway, I gradually weaned myself (ie, .5 mg for about a month, .25 for a month, .25 eod, then .125 eod), I was on the top 6 the entire time, plus a few other things, I've also been lasering for about 8 months (for full disclosure). That said, I believe I have managed to hold onto most of what I have gained and that is all I ever really wanted to happen. I think the hairline has thinned out a bit, probably not enough to be noticeable by anyone else, but overall I have been extremely satisfied and I feel great and I know I am much healthier because of the switch.

johnt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Petch on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:44 am

That's great to hear mate. I've been on the fin for 7 years, but been a bit to worried about losing hair should I drop it, so good to hear your story! I think dropping fin gradually is the way to go. Cool

Petch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johnt on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:42 pm

Thanks man. I agree. Get a good natural regimen that handles the inflammation that the dht causes, which is the main problem anyway, drop fin gradually, and I think diet is a huge factor also... mine is completely different now than when I first started thinning about 10 or 11 years ago. Best of luck.

johnt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johnt on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:27 am

Petch- I thought this was extremely interesting... Maybe reducing the drug even further in dosage and spreading it out over more days (i.e. up to 7 or more) is an even better strategy for quitting.

http://www.propeciahelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1170

johnt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Petch on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:45 am

Thanks for the link jont, withdrawing slowly is the way to go. Quitting cold turkey increases the DHT receptors or so i've read.. IH top 5/6, plus hair signals, rogain and maybe proxyphen. Should keep my hair as it is now, maybe better...made a few changes to my diet already, been doing it slowly, and plan to make a few more changes.

Petch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GoodThings on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:54 am

RC, i too noticed this when i started the regimen. Now, the hair growth seems to return to its previous state. Or maybe i'm not noticing it anymore. idk.

GoodThings

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top