Search
Natural Hair Growth Products
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum

Vitamin C, Copper & Healthy Blood Vessels

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Vitamin C, Copper & Healthy Blood Vessels

Post  hapyman on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:55 pm

Just read this today over at Dr. Mercola's website. It was at the bottom of the article about IV vitamin C used to cure a bad case of Swine Flu.

A Word of Caution about Vitamin C Supplements

Itís important to remember that every nutrient you ingest raises or lowers up to nine other nutrients in your body.

Every nutrient needs certain synergistic nutrients, and if you are already low in those synergistic nutrients, taking more of one thing will only further deplete the existing deficient levels, worsening any problems relating to that nutrientís metabolism.

For example, taking large doses of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) on a regular basis lowers your level of copper, so if you are already deficient in copper and take high doses of vitamin C, you can compromise your immune system.

So, whereas temporarily taking megadoses of vitamin C supplements to combat a case of the cold or flu is likely not going to cause a problem, for long-term, daily use, your best bet is to eat an diet that is full of high quality organic vegetables and fruits that are minimally processed. Not only will you get vitamin C, but you will get all the other accessory nutrients and micronutrients that are needed to optimize it.

What's interesting is that just yesterday I had a weird encounter on the toilet. I had some mild pain down under right after. Usually something like this goes away but lingered throughout the day and this morning. Upon further inspection Shocked it appears that I have a mild hemorrhoid. It is not entirely painful or bleeding but protruding a bit on my rectum. The interesting part was this morning I was researching hemorrhoid causes and some treatments and I read about a possible link to copper deficiencies. Then I read that mercola article. Sure enough looking around verifies this further. When digging deeper into this problem it appears Zinc can prevent the proper absorption of Copper.

So here is my concerns. I have been on the pauling protocol for a bit and have been taking relatively high doses of vitamin C every day, about 4-8 grams per day. Also I have been taking a zinc sulfate pill along with selenium and Iodine for thyroid support. I am wondering if this could be my cause along with too much strain during a BM and some constipation over the last couple of weeks.

Anyhow I am looking for anything that can help remedy this problem and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Currently I am considering getting this e-book called the "H Miracle", which supposedly is a mix of 5 common root plants that will help "cure" the hemorrhoid within 2 days along with much more advice, exercises and dietary things.

Also ran across this tidbit:

Alternative medicine also offers some effective treatments like galvanic (Keesey treatment) and infrared cauterization. Both are non-surgical outpatient procedures with high success rates and few complications. Some naturopaths are doing these procedures. In addition, make sure you are drinking enough water to stay fully hydrated.

The most effective agents, though harder to find are aortic GAGs (glycosaminoglycans) from highly purified bovine sources. These contain dermatan sulfate, heparan sulfate, hyaluronic acid, chondroitin sulfate and other GAGs. Two double-blind studies have compared aortic GAGs to bilberry and HER (a flavonoid preparation like rutin and citrus bioflavonoids). The aortic extract produced far better results in both hemorrhoids and varicose veins.

Flavonoids strengthen connective tissue, especially capillaries. They help keep tissues from falling apart. Varicose veins, hemorrhoids, bleeding between periods, and lymphedema can be aided by flavonoids. Anthocyanosides from bilberry (European bilberry) act more effectively than the common flavonoids rutin and hesperidin. The herb horse chestnut and witch hazel (topically) have a long historical use.

Dosages

* HER 1,000 - 3,000mg per day (better than rutin and citrus bioflavonoids).
* Bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus) (25% anthocyanosides) 80-160mg tid.
* Butcher's broom (Ruscus aculeatus) (9-11% ruscogenin) 100mg tid.
* Horse chestnut (aesculus hippocastanum) extract for 50mg of escin per day.
* Grape seed extract 100mg bid-tid.
* Vitamin C 500-1,000gm tid with Bioflavonoids 3,000-6,000mg per day.

Some doctors are using different forms of iodine (SSKI or Lugol's) to help shrink and relieve the pain of hemorrhoids. A drop, placed on a finger and massaged into the affected area, can be very effective, though it may sting temporarily. Consider mixing 20 drops with an ounce of flax oil and storing it in the refrigerator. Apply twice per day; rapid relief should be on the way.

May try the Iodine thing. And what's strange is the suggestion of Vitamin C.

Also found this product by "Enzymatic Therapy" that cotains GAGs from aortic extract (see above & below):

Better Veins (formerly Aorta-Glycanô) by Enzymatic Therapy

Sorry for the long post but I thought I would provide as much information as possible. Once again hopefully I can nip this in the bud Very Happy quickly.

hapyman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Vitamin C, Copper & Healthy Blood Vessels

Post  Guest on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:01 pm

taking large doses of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) on a regular basis lowers your level of copper...

could be happen?
I'm taking 2-3gr of C vitamin...is this considered a large dose?

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:02 pm

Steve_Gr wrote:taking large doses of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) on a regular basis lowers your level of copper...

could be happen?
I'm taking 2-3gr of C vitamin...is this considered a large dose?

Yes, it can. However, it can be a good thing if anyone drinks water coming from copper pipes.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/hairconsultation.htm

CausticSymmetry
Admin

View user profile http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:24 pm

what about water from aluminum pipes? (like mine)
in that case is it better an occasional break from C supplement?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:56 pm

What's interesting is that just yesterday I had a weird encounter on the toilet. I had some mild pain down under right after. Usually something like this goes away but lingered throughout the day and this morning. Upon further inspection it appears that I have a mild hemorrhoid. It is not entirely painful or bleeding but protruding a bit on my rectum. The interesting part was this morning I was researching hemorrhoid causes and some treatments and I read about a possible link to copper deficiencies. Then I read that mercola article. Sure enough looking around verifies this further. When digging deeper into this problem it appears Zinc can prevent the proper absorption of Copper.

I take for almost a month this c vitamine, 4 caps a day. (2gr)
http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-Metabolic-C-500-mg-180-Capsules/19180

and starting two weeks ago this form of zinc
http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Zinc-Picolinate-50-mg-120-Capsules/878

I'm on the 5th day that i have painful hemorrhoids which are accompanied by blood...
Should i stop C vitamin and Zinc or to add a copper supplement?

Back to top Go down

Post  987 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Get and only take a zinc that adds copper along with it like L opti Zinc, and you should lay off the vitamin C for a little bit imo.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:26 pm

J987 wrote:Get and only take a zinc that adds copper along with it like L opti Zinc, and you should lay off the vitamin C for a little bit imo.

thank you j987. I will stop both of them for the moment. At least until getting an opti zinc.
But, what about that...
"appears Zinc can prevent the proper absorption of Copper"
how then a compo of zinc and copper can be beneficial?

Back to top Go down

Post  Orchid on Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:45 am

eating beef liver once a week will more than take care of copper, regardless of supplementing zinc daily or not

Orchid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:49 am

thx orchid, i will...

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum