Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Does topical iodine cause apoptosis?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Does topical iodine cause apoptosis?

Post  Whip on Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:56 pm

Was reading a bit about the function of iodine (lugol's), and was wondering if topically, it could cause apoptosis in existing hairs. I think it can help with scalp skin, but wanted to make sure I'm not killing off any existing hair - I know apoptosis is a good thing regarding cancers and viruses, scalp bacteria, demo, etc. but I was curious about the benefit.

Thanks.

Whip

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Does topical iodine cause apoptosis?

Post  kijumn on Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:57 pm

Applying once per week you should be fine.
kijumn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Whip on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:00 pm

Thanks JDP, it felt great right after I used it. Will stick to 1x a week.

Whip

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunkyStumpfighter on Mon May 24, 2010 11:09 am

So, is apoptosis caused by iodine a good or bad thing for hair? I have used it 3-4 times in the last week and a half or so mixed with colloidal oatmeal (maybe 3/4-1 dropperfull of 2% lugols per application, like how clay is applied) and leaving it on overnight for my seb derm, and I am seeing pretty decent results in the last week or so. Should I be weary of this, or is it okay as long as it's diluted as much as it is? I have been thinking of ordering some of Wombats highodine salve, or making it myself as per the old instructions, and applying it to my hairline.

Also, does this increased apoptosis occur with iodine in general (or the potassium iodide), or only with higher doses?

TheFunkyStumpfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj on Mon May 24, 2010 3:19 pm

I personally don't see topical iodine as a problem based on enough testimonials on the internet ... used for alopecia areata. Actually, I believe everyone should use it at the first sign of hair loss based on the fact that it prevents scar tissue. TK on this forum also used it often without any problems.

With that said, I have seen some information that if you're in poor health/mental health even topical application can cause problems. Zix Creator in one of his posts on this forum noticed something similiar at his work where too much topical Iodine caused problems.

In short, even topical iodine there isn't a one size fits all so you have to wing it and see how you do and then go from there.

Also, I should mention regarding wombat's Iodine salve it's great but I haven't noticed anything regarding regrowth. I was hoping I would see some regrowth by now. My recommendation if you're going to try this a long your hair line "for regrowth" then possibly try the next step up and mixed 50% with DMSO. That's what I'm trying pretty soon.

BTW, regarding fungal infections, topical lugol's, nascent, SSKI may not work as well as detoxified iodine.

ubraj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Mon May 24, 2010 4:34 pm

TheFunkyStumpfighter - I second jdp710, and wanted to add that hair loss that is sometimes reported with iodine use is actually and not surprisingly........

(drum roll)...............................

A bromide detoxification reaction. This is where salt loading protocol is very useful.

As far as apoptosis, this a very healthy and essential function of cells. If they become abnormal, apoptosis is
a healthy function, perhaps that's a bit of an oxymoron, but nonetheless.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
Admin

View user profile http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  m1234 on Mon May 24, 2010 6:28 pm

for the last month iv been mixing iodine (lugols) with coconut oil and then wrap my head in cling film before bed and leave it all night. My hair is feeling really good at the moment.

I usually do this about 3 times a week--does this seem an ok thing to do?
Sometimes i add a little gse aswell and the reason i do that is because i did all 3 applications the other week ( but applied much too high a strength gse) covered up again and it felt like it killed hundreds of demodex! My face looked a right mess for the next few days (also put all 3 there).

But although it def killed alot of bad stuff it was way too much as i actually burnt my skin and it was so painful that it woke me up at 4 in the morning and i couldn't sleep again!

Iv applied very high strenght gse on my hair and face loads of time before without any problems but this combination of all 3 killed me....and lots of demodex!

I thought it was because id covered my head and forehead with cling film but my cheekbone was very burned and spotty too and that wasn't covered.

Must have had over a hundred pimples on my forehead after!

m1234

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Mon May 24, 2010 7:35 pm

jdp701 wrote:
With that said, I have seen some information that if you're in poor health/mental health even topical application can cause problems. Zix Creator in one of his posts on this forum noticed something similiar at his work where too much topical Iodine caused problems.

jdp,

Do you know the connection between iodine and mental health? I'd pm you but it's disabled.

Paradox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj on Tue May 25, 2010 4:07 am

I was looking for some information in my notes but it's very disorganized.

Besides the quotes posted below, it was something like 40% of all patients in a mental health hospital around the 1940's - 1960's or so was due to bromide ... they use to give out bromide as a way to suppress the sex drive/thyroid back then.

Also, CS has posted a great study showing that in Iodine deficient areas, there is a higher rate of I believe it was MS.

Here's some quotes

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adams found that iodine levels in hair were 45% lower in the children with autism.

"Adequate dietary iodine supplies and thyroid hormones are needed for the development of the central nervous system (CNS) and brown adipose tissue (BAT) function.

The diet with very low iodine content results in a decrease of local blood flow in both brain structures, but the greatest changes were observed in hippocampus. Addition of the iodine to the diet eliminates the above blood flow changes."

"Experimental studies show depressive behavior in rats caused by hypothyroidism and antidepressant effect of thyroid hormones.

quotes taken from http://www.iodine4health.com/body/brain/brain.htm

"Heavy metals get stored in the same receptors that are looking for iodine."

cells are not able to distinguish iodide from other anions of similar atomic or molecular size, which may act as “pseudo-iodides”: bromide, flouride, chlorine, thiocyanate, cyanate, nitrate, pertechnate, perchlorate.[

quotes from http://www.curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1564469

ubraj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj on Tue May 25, 2010 4:13 am

BTW, on another note, I came across some information a week ago regarding zinc supplementation and mercury. I believe it was something similiar to zinc supplementation without copper supplementation causes increased blood brain barrier penetration of mercury. I believe it was Cutler who mentioned that. So you might want to research that a bit more regarding lowering copper with zinc supplementation. I believe I saw some info regarding molybdenum supplementation first then NAC and MSM for copper and oxidized copper. Mercury and MMS causes copper ----> oxidized copper. Also, ALA can increase copper levels and therefore would want to take NAC or similiar to prevent build up.

Might want to double check all that though as I'm working off memory.

Here is one quote I found though

"No Zinc without copper and certainly no zinc without active chelation (ALA)."

ubraj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj on Tue May 25, 2010 4:22 am

Paradox,

found some of my info regarding copper

------------------------------------------------------

Time to spell it all out and save it in favorites, anyone reading this should do the same I am getting very bored having to repeat and repeat and repeat…

Let’s start simple and use Iron since it reflects exactly what happens to copper but is simpler;

Iron and copper are used by the body as oxidizers. Copper is used to change Iodide storage in the Thyroid to Iodine when needed and I am sure you can find pages on what Iron does.

Super oxidizers, those include Hg, Pb, Chlorine and yes MMS, actually oxidize these mild oxidizing metals. They turn Iron into Rust and Copper in oxidized Copper. This change of ions makes them bio-unavailable but still fools the body into thinking you have plenty.

So when a good chunk of your Iron is turned into Rust it can no longer do its job. Yet the body refuses to absorb any more of it because as far as it is concerned it already has plenty.

A 2 minute search on CZ by typing in “Iron IP6” will show you that plenty have fixed Iron deficiencies by removing Iron (Rust) from their bodies.

In short you can be both Copper/Iron toxic and Copper/Iron deficient.

A very similar process occurs with Copper, except that once oxidized the normal adrenal function of binding elemental Copper to an amino acid is broken. The adrenals work 24/7 attempting to bind to this Ionized Copper (IC) and fail until you get adrenal burnout. Finally there is no option left but to store that IC in cells where it continues to play havoc.

Since it is still toxic (not bound to an amino) it breaks the lysine, potassium and salt pump of the cell and also disturbs Taurine levels.

Lysine is a byproduct of normal cell function and together with Selenium is the first line of defense against viruses. So any viral infection will eat up the tiny amount of Lysine produced and always present HSV can go to town.

When we first started biofeedback Lysine was always red (problematic), we like everyone else just figure that was because it was needed to kill HSV. It is only later that we figure out that a copper toxic person is ALWAYS Lysine deficient and that is the reason HSV can flare up.

The best way to deal with this toxic copper is to bind it to sulfur like MSM, I recommend you take both NAC and MSM because it is inevitable that the kidneys will try and steal some to convert it to up the bodies Glutathione (GSH) content. So by supplying both forms you help both the copper detox and improve GSH levels.

Which brings us back to sulfur and chelation, taking sulfur with large levels of Hg and/or Pb is not advisable see Cutler on that…

ALA increases copper excretion in the urine and to some extent intestinal secretions, but inhibits copper excretion in the bile. Copper excretion is as follows in terms of percentages:

Bile - 80%
Intestinal Secretions - %16
Urine - 4%

So ALA can speed up excretion of copper by the channels that get rid of 20% of it, but can also slow or stop excretion of copper by the channel that gets rid 80% of it. The net effect is that for a normal individual, ALA will tend to raise copper levels in the body. If you were never to take a break from ALA chelation, it could raise copper to dangerous levels.

NAC .... chelates oxidized copper which MSM can't

ubraj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Tue May 25, 2010 7:40 am

jdp,

Thanks... I appreciate the info! I didn't realize that I would be getting into copper territory again with the iodine question. I guess I haven't fully acknowledged the issue with copper and chelation because it throws a wrench into removing lead and mercury simply, and I don't have evidence that I am copper-toxic. So, I don't mean to ask repetitive questions and I hear you this time. My dilemma I suppose, is how to assimilate that info into a working plan or protocol. I'd like to make a simple linear "to do list" starting obviously with proper diagnostics.

I know that I am carrying lead and mercury because of the dmsa challenge urinalysis I did. After reading about all copper-toxic people being high in lysine, I am wondering what would be both the most cost-effective, and reliable test to order for copper. If lysine levels are definitive, then I wonder if getting amino-acid levels checked would be the way (added benefit of finding other low levels for supplementation), or if I should go with hair-analysis?

Once I know for certain if I need to address copper, then I can look at how it applies to chelation of lead/mercury from there.

Now because I do have elevated levels of mercury/lead (at least to the extent that a challenged urinalysis is diagnostically useful) then it seems I cannot use MSM.

This leaves me somewhat confused because if I am understanding this correctly (large possibility I am not)... then it seems I have a conundrum?

The one thing I know for certain is that I need to find out if copper is an issue. If it is, I'm having difficulty trying to figure out how to remove it and Mg/Pb in what order with what agents. In the meantime I will reread Cutlers statements on copper to try to make more sense of it. Nothing's ever simple is it? Wink

Paradox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj on Tue May 25, 2010 10:09 am

Here is a good list of symptoms regarding heavy metals/copper toxicity.

http://www.curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1625599#i

ubraj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunkyStumpfighter on Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:49 am

So I have begun using a 3 parts to 1 lugols/dmso mix on my hairline in an attempt to get some regrowth. Skin started peeling off at the third day, and the skin beneath looks so much better than the skin that was there before that I am thinking about using it on my whole face one weekend.

What I was wondering is if whether causing damage in the first place would be beneficial here or not? Forgive my ignorance, but is the damage caused by hair loss (fibrosis, microscar formation, etc) on a scale large enough to cause the kind of regeneration response that would bring these follicles back from the dead so to speak?

I remember there being a fella on HLF who claimed to have regrowth in response to painting his scalp with silver nitrate cauterizing sticks, and while he was practically driven off with torches and pitchforks, I have come across a few examples of peoples hair growing back after being burned (although the one I remember was quite old, and pictured an old man who fell on a fire only to have his hair grow back where his scalp had been burned). The pictures the man who had used silver nitrate on his head were impressive, and it stuck in my head.

The whole "damage the skin to cause regrowth" notion is by no means new, but maybe the causing of damage with the use of chemical peels, or even those silver nitrate sticks, followed by applications of lugols could stimulate a regenerative response stronger than either by themselves? If the more damage caused (within reason, of course), the stronger the regenerative response, then does it not stand to reason that applying lugols to your scalp after damaging it would create a considerably larger response than just the lugols alone?

TheFunkyStumpfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  albe on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:51 am

I'm not sure if I would use topical lugol's. It seems like it might damage the hair follicle as well.

albe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iluvhair on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:05 am

Could topical iodine repair deep scar tissue?

iluvhair

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunkyStumpfighter on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:31 pm

From what I understand, yeah. One of the studies done used lugols on a rather large abdominal scar with decent results. This morning, I started applying it to my appendectomy scar that is about ten years old. During surgery, I went into septic shock that shut me down while under anesthesia, so they did not suture it shut for more than 3 weeks to allow it to drain. Then I got a few stitches (without local anesthetic, which hurt more than I thought it would) which ended up leaving scars as well. Because it had started shutting by itself, the scar it formed is far from the typical dark line scar that most get, and looks more like a woman with a big mouth kissed my stomach with pink lipstick. If it works to regenerate a scar like that, it would probably work for anything, though I am not holding my breath.

I can't find anything that says this kind of therapy damages hair follicles, but I also can't find anything that says it will regenerate them. I would love to use it on my whole scalp every day as a post evening shower rinse, but I am weary of what that might cause. My crown is starting to become obviously thin, and I really do not want to make matters worse. That being said, I do plan on trying a form of wounding followed by lugols after a scab has formed. My strong side, hairline wise, is my right side, so if wounding ends up causing more damage there than good, it would be worth having tried it. As I approach the so called 30 month window, I feel like I should be doing as much as I can about fibrosis.

TheFunkyStumpfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:26 am

CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunkyStumpfighter on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:47 am

CS- You know, I spent so much time om the second part of that pdf that I overlooked all the good stuff on the first half, which I just skimmed through. Anyway, among the more interesting quotes:

Figure 1. Photo of 18 cm abdominal scar which was
opened three times. Note the abundance of hair growth, induced
by iodine, around the scar.

Figure 3. Abdominal scar below the umbilicus. A number
of globular regenerating masses are shown clearly soon after
removing the plastic wrap. There is no special shape or
size. The dark color likely is stored iodine. Abundant hair
is intimately involved with every aspect of regeneration.

Some sense of the finger-like swellings that continuously
bind the two sides together can be seen on both sides. The
large round non-descript area at the bottom of the photograph
is the partially formed umbilical hernia.

Figure 6. This picture is also of the upper part of the scar
closer to the umbilicus. The umbilicus is the round white
mass on the right hand side. The umbilicus was on its way
to disappearing at this point. There is abundant regenate
material and hair around the central crevasse.
Picture is
taken through a plastic wrap. In the middle, some regenate
material can be seen sticking to the plastic wrap. More of
a brown color regenate material is sticking to the wrap on
the lower left side of the scar. The white glistening is an
artifact from the wrap.

Figure 5. This is a picture of the top of the abdominal scar
about a month after starting applications of iodine. Note the
large number of new hairs adjacent to and in the crevasse.

At the end of the crevasse there is a tiny black dot. This
was the first sign of the coordinating centers for the abdominal
scars.

Some of Hair’s Activities:
C Hairs on their own move accurately to any cell
location within reach in all directions. Sometimes
wrist movement aided the hair movement.
C Hair movements were by short rapid jerks.
C Self-amputation is a repeating continuous property
of hair in regenerating tissue.
C Hair stubs with follicle, after complete self- amputation,
may disappear completely for weeks
and then reappear and grow back.

There is a bit more good stuff in the second half as well, and it's that last bit is what is keeping me from using it on my whole scalp. Though, going back to my original point, I wonder if this self amputation is a result of mass regeneration of healthy tissue from a large scar, or if it would happen with tissue that is not so heavily scarred. Also, I wonder if this kind of regeneration needs scar tissue to be present to create the kind of massive response it could take to provoke folliculogenesis. I suppose I will find out soon enough, as I plan on just diving in rather than wait for someone else to report in on results, but it's food for thought. The kind of regeneration Dr. Derry has offered pretty substantial proof of is really nothing short of amazing, I am quite excited to see what it can do for my appendectomy scar.

TheFunkyStumpfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:15 am

TheFunkyStumpfighter - When the anagen phase (growth) is stimulated, it is often preceeded by the exogen stage (where the "old" follicle is ejected from the shaft).

CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj on Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:29 am

TheFunkyStumpfighter,

Iodine on it's own will eventually remove the appendectomy scar but can take a year or more. To speed up the results DMSO and Iodine are used and said to cut treatment down 50%. I believe it's 50% DMSO to 50% 2% Lugol's but might want to double check that.

Anyway, topical Iodine does work to remove a hypertrophic scars IME. I see no reason why it wouldn't work on other hypertrophic scars like an appendectomy scar.

BTW, it's said those who are saturated with Iodine (or is it Iodide?) won't scar. IME, this is true. I use to scar easily. Not anymore. Also, if you cut yourself and believe the cut may scar, you can use topical Iodine and it won't scar.

Back on subject though previously, 2 or 3 links have previously been posted on this forum where about 20+ total sufferers of alopecia areata have used topical Iodine successfully in regrowing hair. I can't find the link right now though. Haven't heard any issues. In addition to those 20 + appears about 6 or so have used Iodine topically for androgenic alopecia and haven't heard any issues. Unfortunately I haven't seen anyone use DMSO and Iodine. Appears you are the first.

hope this helps

ubraj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunkyStumpfighter on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:20 pm

CS- It's not necessarily the shedding that would bother me, it is the observed occurrence of hair self amputation along the length of the shaft that worries me. There would still be a hair in the follicle, but just a "nub" poking out of the skin. I think this might add to the argument that hair is somewhat alive, considering hair self amputation occurred along the length of the shaft. I'm going to try it on my thin right temple triangle before I try it on my crown, considering if hair does start self amputating and then shedding there, It won't bother me any. A bald spot on the top of my head, however, would bother me endlessly.

jdp- Definitely encouraging stuff. I've read a lot of those testimonials, but it seemed like they were all using colorless iodine, though I could be wrong as I didn't read them very closely. If there is one thing I am, it's patient, so I don't have an issue with applying lugols to my appendectomy scar for a year if it meant it would fade, and eventually disappear.

On a side note, the staining really does an amazing job of highlighting any small or velus hairs you normally wouldn't notice too well. I'm happy to see that a lot of the tiny blonde hairs that were turned darker by A&G's hair complex are still there, if only on my right side. My left side does not seem to have fared as well. When I used the AGHC, I went the whole 9 applying it to my right side, as this was the side that had been lost first, and half assed the left. Now my left is falling back hard, while my right has somewhat stabilized. Could be coincidence, but the staining of the iodide did well to pint out that my right side is exponentially stronger than my left.

TheFunkyStumpfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunkyStumpfighter on Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:08 am

So just a little update, the lugols does cause some real change in the skin, that much is sure. I have been applying it to my nasty appendectomy scar, a patch of road rash on my arm, and my hairline for about a month now (a bit longer on my scars), and the changes are starting to become apparent.

The issue I am having is that it seems like there are conditions where regeneration occurs, and some where they do not. I noticed the thick, almost platic-ey like film that formed as a result of repeated lugols applications, had begun to crack, and beneath this film was some clear liquid and what looked like some liquid skin. It seems to have started some kind of degeneration and reformation that causes the skin to enter this damage mode. It is hard to explain, but the flesh gets puffy and leaks liquid from places. I think this is the kind of regenate material that the papers on iodine describe.

The only problem is that to get to this state, you have to apply it 2-3 times a day, and not allow the skin that the lugols plastifies (anyone who has applied lugols on their skin knows what I'm talking about) to peel off. This has proven hard to accomplish on my hairline, for obvious reasons. Between my arm scar, and my gut scar, I am beginning to think that this puffy nasty mess that forms under the leathery skin is what causes the skin to regenerate, and this is something that would be hard for anyone to do on their face/head.

I'm gonna keep with it for a few months though, as it has done wonders on my road rash scar already, and seems to be doing something good with my appendectomy scar. I just wanted to put my opinion out there, as I do not think it is as simple as applying lugols and hoping for the best, I am starting to believe it takes a bit more dedication.

TheFunkyStumpfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunkyStumpfighter on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:30 pm

Okay, for the first time in about two and a half months of maintaining this ugly brick colored patch of skin along my hairline, I stopped applying the lugols about a week ago. It took about that long to allow for all the dry skin layers to peel off, and the skin it exposed looks fantastic. What I have noticed as well is a definite lengthening of the tiny dark colored hairs at my right temple, and even a few new terminals that were definitely not there before. The tiny darker hairs were only visible when you looked very closely, however I can see them much more clearly now, and they are long enough for me to even move them with my fingers (before, they were too small to be moved around, now when I run my finger in that area I can see them all bending and shifting under my fingers). Nothing cosmetically significant, but definite progress none the less.

I would honestly love to just keep on with this, but it is really a lot harder to maintain the lugols scab along my hairline than I would have thought. If my hair isn't laying just right, this crusty red leathery skin becomes painfully obvious.

What I was thinking though, is that my concern that topical lugols needed damage for it to stimulate a healing response was ass backwards. The healing response occurs regardless, and the skin sheds itself pretty regularly every 4th or 5th day. Not just a sunburn style shed, but the kind of skin shedding you get a few days after a decent chemical peel.

This makes me wonder about using lugols in conjunction with a wounding protocol, but instead of creating mechanical damage to the skin, the lugols would take its place. It is pretty clear that repeated lugols application creates a persistent state of healing in the skin, and causes the skin to peel just like a chemical peel or microdermabrasion might with much higher frequency than you would ever be able to use peels/dermabrasion. Maybe applying a solution of lithium and silymarin (for EGFR inhibition) in water and DMSO over the regenerating skin caused by the iodine would allow for new follicles to form, or for the terminalization of miniaturizing follicles. The lugols may not cause the immediate shock healing response like a dermabrasion might, but it does cause the skin to regenerate steadily for a lot longer.

Considering I don't think I can maintain that lugols scab for the 6 months - 1 year it might take to fully regenerate any damaged tissue, maybe this little experiment will hasten any visible hair growth in the few months more that I figure I'll be able to do this. The lugols by itself does seem to have real potential if you can manage to use it for long enough, that much I'm confident of.

TheFunkyStumpfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  j87x on Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:08 pm

Will iodide do pretty much the same thing topically as iodine? Can it heal scars, help fibrosis, form scabs, etc without the brown staining? Also is it safe to apply iodide every day for inflammation or should you only use like once per week?

j87x

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top