Search
Natural Hair Growth Products
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum

Curcumin and good sleep

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Curcumin and good sleep

Post  mambo on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:23 pm

I happened to take two pills of curcumin supplement beore sleeping and noticed that fell asleep so much easy. I usually have a hard time falling asleep quick; plus no matter how much I sleep it never seems to be enough with me being still tired the next morning. I have made this curcumin before sleep a habit now for me and fall asleep like a baby and the next day, even if i sleep little, feel so much more rested than before. Has anyone else had this effect from curcumin or can you explain it?

For your information, I usually take curcumin with some soy milk cause i hear this is how it works best. And what I take is this: http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Curcumin-120-Vcaps/13441?at=0

mambo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Curcumin and good sleep

Post  Amaranthaceae on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:14 pm

It is a sign that your body needs curcumin and wants you to keep taking it : )

Amaranthaceae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung on Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:12 pm

Do you take resveratrol with your curcumin? Have you noticed any hair loss improvements?

tooyoung

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:46 am

mambo, do you believe that the (soy) milk may also have something to do with your restful sleep?

The Natural

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 am

mambo - This is how curcumin works:

Brain Res. 2006 Nov 29;1122(1):56-64.
Curcumin reverses the effects of chronic stress on behavior, the HPA axis, BDNF expression and phosphorylation of CREB.

Xu Y, Ku B, Tie L, Yao H, Jiang W, Ma X, Li X.

Department of Pharmacology, School of Basic Medical Science, Peking University, 38 Xueyuan Road, Beijing, 100083, PR China.

Curcuma longa is a major constituent of the traditional Chinese medicine Xiaoyao-san, which has been used to effectively manage stress and depression-related disorders in China. Curcumin is the active component of curcuma longa, and its antidepressant effects were described in our prior studies in mouse models of behavioral despair. We hypothesized that curcumin may also alleviate stress-induced depressive-like behaviors and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis dysfunction. Thus in present study we assessed whether curcumin treatment (2.5, 5 and 10 mg/kg, p.o.) affects behavior in a chronic unpredictable stress model of depression in rats and examined what its molecular targets may be. We found that subjecting animals to the chronic stress protocol for 20days resulted in performance deficits in the shuttle-box task and several physiological effects, such as an abnormal adrenal gland weight to body weight (AG/B) ratio and increased thickness of the adrenal cortex as well as elevated serum corticosterone levels and reduced glucocorticoid receptor (GR) mRNA expression. These changes were reversed by chronic curcumin administration (5 or 10 mg/kg, p.o.). In addition, we also found that the chronic stress procedure induced a down-regulation of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) protein levels and reduced the ratio of phosphorylated cAMP response element-binding protein (pCREB) to CREB levels (pCREB/CREB) in the hippocampus and frontal cortex of stressed rats. Furthermore, these stress-induced decreases in BDNF and pCREB/CREB were also blocked by chronic curcumin administration (5 or 10 mg/kg, p.o.). These results provide compelling evidence that the behavioral effects of curcumin in chronically stressed animals, and by extension humans, may be related to their modulating effects on the HPA axis and neurotrophin factor expressions.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/hairconsultation.htm

CausticSymmetry
Admin

View user profile http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  mambo on Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:25 am

Thanks everybody for your replies and interest. Well, I definitely feel it is doing something in getting me relaxed.

As for the soy milk I drink it with, I thought it could be related but probably not. The thing is that for soy milk I just take the sip necessary to swallow the pills (i take two before i sleep) and thats all, so not really much. Plus in exchange for soy milk, I might use at other times other milk based drinks like drinkable yoghurts. Anyways, I notice it works even better in putting me to sleep if i take the sips with the drink at room temperature.

As for the reseveratrol, I take it but not regularly. I did not notice any particular response from my body, except i might have had some muscle pain from it.

mambo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  longhairedredhead on Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:29 pm

mambo wrote:I happened to take two pills of curcumin supplement beore sleeping and noticed that fell asleep so much easy. I usually have a hard time falling asleep quick; plus no matter how much I sleep it never seems to be enough with me being still tired the next morning. I have made this curcumin before sleep a habit now for me and fall asleep like a baby and the next day, even if i sleep little, feel so much more rested than before. Has anyone else had this effect from curcumin or can you explain it?
I experience exactly the same after I started taking curcumin. For years I've had problems to fall asleep (it could easily take me from 00.00-02.30 just to lay down on my back and wait until I would fall asleep). Three days after I started taking curcumin in the morning, I noticed I felt some sort of 'exhausted' around 11.30 PM. Half an hour later I got into bed, and it took me under an hour to fall asleep!
I also felt some kind really tired feeling as soon as I lay down, like my body wanted to tell me "You're in bed now, fall asleep."
Waking up also got easier for me - I have had a hard time waking up for all those years too. I always woke up being extremely exhausted, wander through the house like I was Ozzy Osbourne or something, and whatever people would ask me or tell me for the first 15 minutes - I couldn't remember a thing of what they said or even what I replied.
It didn't matter how much I would've slept - whether it were only four hours or even eight-nine hours.

Now, I wake up and don't even have a hard time getting out of bed. Today I got out of bed 45 minutes earlier than usual, and had no troubles at all! I also didn't feel like an Ozzy anymore, and could even think clearly from the first minute I got out of bed.

I can hardly believe it... I've only been taking curcumin for five days now, but this sure looks promising. Smile

longhairedredhead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Beebrox on Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:55 pm

I never tried curcumin before the bed. I take 2 capsule a day with resveratrol after the meal. I am on detox, and taking humifulvate every evening before i go to sleep. Dont want to mix it with anything. I will break the rule today since i have difficulties falling asleep and waking up. I dont expect miracles since i am most awake in the evenings.

Beebrox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dreft on Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:39 pm

Should take it with meals for increased absorption and twice a day (one pill in the morning, the other in the evening) in order to have it in your blood as long as possible in a 24 hours period if I remember correctly what CS was saying.

dreft

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Beebrox on Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:59 pm

mihai wrote:Should take it with meals for increased absorption and twice a day (one pill in the morning, the other in the evening) in order to have it in your blood as long as possible in a 24 hours period if I remember correctly what CS was saying.

that's how i take it. i see, it can be read other way as i thought... i try not to eat a few hours before bed. i've read it's good this for the insulin levels regulation.

Beebrox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Curcumin also supports restful Sleep

Post  Edgar Branton on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:16 am

mambo wrote:I happened to take two pills of curcumin supplement beore sleeping and noticed that fell asleep so much easy. I usually have a hard time falling asleep quick; plus no matter how much I sleep it never seems to be enough with me being still tired the next morning. I have made this curcumin before sleep a habit now for me and fall asleep like a baby and the next day, even if i sleep little, feel so much more rested than before. Has anyone else had this effect from curcumin or can you explain it?

For your information, I usually take curcumin with some soy milk cause i hear this is how it works best. And what I take is this: http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Curcumin-120-Vcaps/13441?at=0
you can also try Super Bio-Enteric Curcumin 800mg 100 Tabs Enteric Coated for Ultimate Absorption and formulated with Bioperine and Bromelain is the Gold Standard for Curcumin supplements from PhysicianNaturals.com

Happy to heard that! so among Curcumin Benefits we can add one more benefit as "Curcumin also supports restful Sleep"
- Stress has become an unwelcome addition to our daily discourse, Insomnia is a condition that is characterized by lack of sleep.

Natural Sleep Supplements that supports For Stress, Sleep and also Relax are SimplyPure L-Tryptophan 500mg High Potency or 5-HTP with Vitamin B6

L-Tryptohan -L-Tryptophan 500 mg 60 veg caps

5-HTP with Vitamin B6

Last edited by Edgar Branton on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspell and ref url)

Edgar Branton

View user profile http://www.physiciannaturals.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top