Natural Hair Growth Products
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum

Diatomaceous earth for hair loss?

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Diatomaceous earth for hair loss?

Post  TheFunkyStumpfighter on Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:47 am

After a few mid morning hours on curezone, I've decided to buy some diatomaceous earth for general health purposes. While I know it's mostly silica, and that silica is good for hair, I'm wondering if too much silica can have adverse effects? It's fairly cheap, and there's more than a few people who swear by it, but I'd be less apt to take it in large amounts if all that silica could be bad for hair loss. Any other info or opinion on the stuff would also be appreciated if anyone has anything worth throwing my way.

TheFunkyStumpfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diatomaceous earth for hair loss?

Post  kijumn on Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:25 am

I doubt it would be a problem.

I've personally consumed large amounts of Willow's Water (silica) without any ill effects.

kijumn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  youngbalder on Sun May 16, 2010 3:56 am

Funkystumpfighter- I too have started taking DE in the morning first thing when I get up. I've only been using it for couple of days. Are you still using it? And if so have you seen any difference? Too early for me to tell but I've been using heaping spoon per day. I guess I'll report back in three months.

youngbalder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Sun May 16, 2010 4:07 am

source: http://www.health-spy.com/bacterial.html#diatom

Diatomaceous Earth (pictured above) is 'a naturally occurring, soft, chalk-like sedimentary rock that is easily crumbled into a fine white to off-white powder, sometimes even light brown powder. This powder has an abrasive feel, similar to pumice powder, and is very light, due to its high porosity. The typical chemical composition of diatomaceous earth is 86% silica (as silicon dioxide), 5% sodium, 3% magnesium and 2% iron. Diatomaceous Earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae [one of the most common types of Phytoplankton].'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatom

Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is mainly sold as either food-grade, for use with animals or humans, or for use with filtration applications (e.g. pool-grade). 'Food-grade' DE is mined (as Diatomite) and then generally packaged and sold as is. No processing or treatment is required. The FDA has classified it as GRAS (Generally Recognised as Safe). Food-grade DE has been use in conjunction with animals for thousands of years, and can be used internally (for remineralisation, de-worming etc. - usually mixed in with the animal feed) as well as externally on the animal fur/feathers and in animal pens to kill off parasites and red mite. Food grade diatomaceous earth is chiefly marketed as a delousing/bugging product for external use on pets, for example, cats, dogs, horses, or farmyard animals such as chickens. It is rubbed into the fur and/or sprinkled onto animal's bedding, and brushed out after 48 hours. In this application it punctures the exoskeleton of a variety of larger parasites, such as red mite, lice, fleas, and absorbs their fluids, effectively dehydrating them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous

According to Perma-Guard, US-based suppliers of DE, there is a significant difference between DE products on the market. Deposits where Diatom is mined/extracted can be either of Fresh Water or Salt water origin. This will affect the species of Diatoms in the DE but perhaps also the state of preservation. Fresh water diatoms, specifically Melosira Preicelanica, in the Perma-Guard product Fossil Shell Flour, are 89-95% amorphous silica, a higher silica content than many DE products. Less pure DE products may contain different Diatom shapes or Diatom fossils that are more fragile and less effective (typically from salt water deposits).

www.perma-guard.com/

www.perma-guard.com/fossilshell.html

Food-grade diatomite is largely amorphous silica (as Silicon Dioxide). However, a small proportion is in the form of crystalline silica. This latter form is extremely detrimental to health, and if inhaled/ingested in any significant quantity can result in silicosis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicosis

DE with a high crystalline silica content (typically 60% crystalline silica) and not for human or animal consumption (i.e. not food-grade) and is commonly used in swimming pools and industrial applications as a filtration agent. Pure food-grade, for example, Fossil Shell Flour by Perma-Guard, contains 0.05% crystalline silica. The 'Diatom' brand of DE, conversely, is said by manufacturers to contain a maximum of 1 to 1.5% crystalline silica, which does not tell us what the average is, but it does sound considerably less pure.

Amorphous silica is changed into crystalline silica by the action of extreme heat, which is typically through volcanic activity or through industrial heat treatment processing. Industrial heat treatment is typically used on filter-grade DE, as crystalline silica is more useful for filtration purposes, e.g. in swimming pools etc. However, some sources of food-grade DE are heat-treated to 600 degrees Celsius, for 'sterilisation', although of course this does increase the crystalline silica content. Such manufacturers do state this, and warn customers not to inhale it as it becomes harmful (a consideration which is not nearly as significant for non-heat treated DE). Such DE is best avoided, as is any DE with a significant naturally occuring high crystalline silica content, and it is probably best to try to find as pure a source of (non-heat treated) DE as possible with a low crystalline silica content.

Diatomaceous Earth (DE) under 7000 times magnification is shown below.

Notice the cylinder-like shapes of the diatom fossils. The outside of the fossil cylinders is said to be negatively charged. When ingested, the fossil cylinders are said to attract endotoxins, pesticide and drug residues, heavy metals that are present in the GI tract. Some claim that they also attract bacteria, fungi, protozoa and viruses, as well. The cylindrical shape is said to trap these microbes so they can be passed out of the digestive tract - BlackSpy is uncertain exactly how effective this really is in this latter application. Perma-Guard have reported that bacteria have been observed to have actually been killed by the negative electrical charge of the fossilised diatoms, under microscopy. It is possible that the DE may have some impact on both good and bacteria.

www.earthworkshealth.com/How-Diatomaceous-Earth-Works.php

DE is extremely hard and is classified as 7 on the hardness scale. Diamonds are classified as 9. The sharp edges of the cylinders also act mechanically to cut up larger parasites such as worms inside the GI tract. As DE does not leave the GI tract, then clearly it is not able to kill worms and eggs elsewhere in the body, if present. However, the majority of such larger parasites reside in the GI tract, especially the colon.

Other applications for internal use include assisting in the removal of mucoid plaque and the movement of stool through the colon in general. Earthworks Health claim that it is possible to remove all mucoid plaque (containing hardened mucus, faeces and moulds etc.) after a few months of taking DE on a daily basis. In some respects it is perhaps more convenient to use than Psyllium and Bentonite shakes for mucoid plaque removal, as DE is not a form of soluble fibre, but is insoluble fibre, unlike Psyllium which has a tendency to clog up the GI tract and stick to the sides of the colon if too much is taken. Also DE is much easier to prepare than P&B shakes. It also has other nutritional advantages. It may not however be quite as effective as an absorbant as bentonite clay.

DE is well know for its ability to remineralise the body. It is slightly alkaline with a pH of 8.0. As it is mostly Silica, a small part of the silica is able to dissolve and be absorbed/utilised by the body. This has been shown to help with keeping down cholesterol and reducing atherosclerotic plaque formation in the arteries. The silica content also has a use in helping to lower high blood pressure, and is beneficial for healthy teeth, nails and hair. The fossilised Diatoms contain a number of nutritional metal elements, as well as some heavy metals such as Aluminium, albeit in the Oxide form that is non-toxic (as do many other beneficial mineral clays and soil products) - and it is insoluble in any case and not likely to come of out the fossil matrix.

www.earthworkshealth.com/human-use.php

A typical dosage for human consumption of food-grade DE (for internal usage) is approximately one heaped tablespoon per day. The exact daily maximum amount is calculated by body weight (based on animal consumption figures). Some users take 2 tablespooons per day. It will likely be most effective if taken on a daily basis, for a least a few weeks at a time, and preferably for a few months. Probably best taken on an empty stomach mixed in a glass of (deionised/distilled) water, or perhaps mixed with psyllium husks into a 'P&DE' shake. After drinking it down, you may want to rinse out your mouth with water, as you don't want any abrasion on your teeth caused by the fossilised diatoms. Permaguard advised BlackSpy that there are many different opinions on how to consume DE and that there have been few clinical studies or testing on human consumption of DE.

BlackSpy has tried D.E. for a couple of months, and has found that it seems to work best when mixed in with a thick medium, which can give the D.E. some leverage from which to actually scrape the most effectively in the GI tract. When mixed in on its own in water, it does not appear to be so effective as the equivalent amount of fibre mixed in with water. BlackSpy therefore believes that D.E. is best consumed either in a glass of water taken with food, or mixed in with a glass of water/fibre mixture, with or without an absorbant like bentonite or charcoal. If using the latter absorbants with D.E.,it is best consumed on an empty stomach. D.E. does not appear to be as efficient an absorbant or binder of heavy metals as either Bentonite Clay or Charcoal.

Diatomaceous earth can be purchased very cheaply, most cost effectively in bulk, but of course for human use, you probably won't need much more than 500g to start with. Whether you want to take it with meals or in between meals is up to you, but animals don't tend to complain too much if there is some 'mud' or 'earth' in their food, but you might! BlackSpy has taken it on an empty stomach, together with a Psyllium and Bentonite 'shake', for colon cleansing, although in this application, the Bentonite might absorb some of the mineral content from the DE. There is no reason why you cannot take it on it's own however, mixed in with a glass of water, or together with a psyllium/water mixture.

Most suppliers are based in the US, although international shipping can be cost prohibitive. It is typically sold in pet shops or in farmyard supply stores. BlackSpy is currently investigating how this product compares to other DE products on the market.

There are many diamtomaceous earth products on the market that are combined with other ingredients. One example is NanO Bio-Sim. This is said to target candida, parasites (which kind?), worms, yeast, fungi and amoebas (in the GI tract only) without causing any harm to the body. BlackSpy would however take any claims to kill anything other than candida with a pinch of salt, but would like to see any research data on the subject. Bio-Sim contains diatomaceous earth as well as a small amount of sugar cane and kosher distilled vinegar to order to encourage a little micro-organism activity. The nanoised silica in the earth is said to slice up the harmful microorganisms but without harming the body.

www.fulvic.org/html/nano_bio-sim.html

Paradox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  youngbalder on Sun May 16, 2010 8:16 am

Paradox- Thanks for posting this. Great info! Surprised

youngbalder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunkyStumpfighter on Sun May 16, 2010 12:59 pm

I take it in the morning with breakfast, get it from a repackager of permagurad. I can't say I have noticed any substantial changes in most things since starting, but my bowel movements started becoming super regular around that same time (I could set my watch to it every morning at 8am, it'll even wake me up if I'm still asleep). Don't know if I can attribute that to the DE, but it did start around the time I started taking it.

Got a 10lb bag for like $25, and it'll probably last me all year at least. I don't expect it to do much of anything for my hair, but I am hoping it'll work well with the other minerals I'm taking to help with bone strength

TheFunkyStumpfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  youngbalder on Sun May 16, 2010 6:34 pm

Funkystumpfighter- that's awesome, I too hope that it will help with my hair. If not the cleansing effect along with minerals is a plus!

youngbalder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj on Mon May 17, 2010 3:12 am

DE is good to remineralize reverse osmosis or distilled water. Excellent source of silica.

However, it can chew up your stomach like wheat bran. Best to add the DE to water, let the DE sink to the bottom over a long period then drink the water for the silica.

ubraj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Mon May 17, 2010 3:29 am

jdp,

I don't want to go too far OT here, but what are the benefits of silica in your opinion health-wise?

This is completely unrelated, but I found a thread online about someone claiming to have eliminated an eye mucus problem inadvertently after starting a hair/skin/nails formula. They seemed to believe this was due to the silica content... something about silica breaking up mucus.

When I worked in a health store many women were buying a liquid silica there and claiming huge results related to hair thickening and growth. I remember reading up on it at the time and finding that silica isn't digested orally? Of course my memory could be wrong or that may be incorrect.

Paradox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj on Mon May 17, 2010 4:48 am

Hey Paradox,

Yeah, silica definitely does work for women regarding better skin, health and hair. Regarding men, apears to be mixed reviews. It won't stop a receding hairline but there are some who have reported thicker hair.

My results = it's OK. When I start getting dry skin or around my nails I take some and it works. I personally would rather focus on AGE's by Vitamin B6 (Brewers Yeast may be best option) and carnosine/Beta Alanine and Benfotiamine, etc..

By the way, you can always tell some of the female reporters on TV who have better hair or skin tone for their age ----> silica (e.g. BioSil) as well as others.

ubraj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Mon May 17, 2010 5:51 am

Thanks jdp.... I'd like to try some silica out eventually. Too many pills!

Paradox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Tue May 18, 2010 2:32 am

Paradox - There is at least on study showing benefits on women on hair with silica. However, in men as shown on the forums, personal experience as well as myself. It doesn't seem to make much impact.

Nevertheless I take a little silca in one form of another. I take Country Life magnesium that has 6mg of silica.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/hairconsultation.htm

CausticSymmetry
Admin

View user profile http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

IS DIATOMACEOUS EARTH EATING UP MY STOMACH???

Post  ford2m on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:22 am

I began stirring up about 1 tsp of food grade DE in a glass of water and took it daily for 3-4 days.

Last week I noticed an unusual pain in the right side of my abdomen. Yesterday, I began feeling pretty bad with terrible stomach pains, etc. I was physically exhausted and had to go to bed. Thought I might be coming down with something.

I think my colon is having a spastic colon attack, which I haven't experienced since college days. I'm 57, and am having lower back pains, as well.

Member, jdp710, mentioned:

"However, it can chew up your stomach like wheat bran. Best to add the DE to water, let the DE sink to the bottom over a long period then drink the water for the silica".

Don't know if this is just a coincidence that I got sick within a few days of ingesting DE, or if it's literally eating up my stomach.

Has anyone had similar symptoms?

How long would you need to let the DE sit in a cup of water before drinking the solution, and would you just strain the DE from the water? (I'm really scared to death to try DE again).

ford2m

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  elan164 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:37 am

ive taken 3 tbsp of DE in a glass of water for a week and never noticed any problems.

elan164

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:49 am

I've read of others with similiar symptoms. Of course most will say the pain is due to parasites getting cut up by the DE but this is where you have to think for yourself. What sounds more plausible... pain being caused by the parasites getting cut up or your stomach getting cut?

Regarding the silica benefits, I forget how long it should stay in water but my guess is 12 - 24 hours. You'll notice when the DE drops to the bottom and the water is just slightly cloudy. Then just drink the water but not the DE at the bottom.

IMO/IME there are better ways to get silica benefits such as taking tri-boron though.

hope this helps

ubraj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum