FAQ
 Search
Natural Hair Loss Regimen

Is brown rice or fruit better?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is brown rice or fruit better?

Post  Paradox on Sun May 30, 2010 7:57 am

I have low blood sugar and insulin resistance. I'm pretty much adopting the paleo diet because I do well on high protein and already eliminated grains. The only grain I consume is brown rice. I eat a lot of it. Rice is a grain and isn't allowed on paleo. The thing is that fruit is high in sugar and I'm concerned about insulin spiking. I figure that brown rice is more filling, and it breaks down to sugar more slowly/steadily. Of course the logic is that we didn't eat any grains until 10,000 years ago, so brown rice wasn't an option. what would you say the better way to go would be. Any amount of sugar just fuels craving for more sugar. Of course candida plays a role too. Should I stick to rice, or take my chances with fruit?

Paradox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is brown rice or fruit better?

Post  Silverlin on Sun May 30, 2010 8:27 am

I would say stick with brown rice, its really quite a perfect food. Also I'm sure you could spare a piece of fruit a day. IMO fruit is more or less 'OK' depending on your metabolic type, though in any case, in moderation.

Keep in mind the use of agriculture has only been "documented" in the last 10,000 years, doesn't mean it wasn't used before.

Silverlin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Sun May 30, 2010 8:37 am

Thanks for your opinion Silverlin. I don't have any noticeable reaction or symptoms of indigestion from it, so I'd like to keep eating it. Moderation with fruit is hard. Once I start it's hard to stop. Same as pasta, candy, baked goods, ice cream, alcohol, etc. etc.

Going off on a tangent, but can you imagine how many alcoholics there are in the world trying to talk away their insulin resistance, hypoglycemia and diabetes? Poor bastards eating sugar like no tomorrow and they wonder why the success rate is 3%?

Paradox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silverlin on Sun May 30, 2010 8:45 am

Paradox - I too also have a bit of a sweet tooth. Though over the past year I have noticed a gradual change in taste buds and 'cravings' for a lot of sweet things, but this comes with a complete lifestyle change.

I think you might find once you get stuck into Kefir it will take the edge off of your sugar cravings, at least I found it helpful with myself.

Silverlin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Sun May 30, 2010 8:56 am

Silverlin wrote:Paradox - I too also have a bit of a sweet tooth. Though over the past year I have noticed a gradual change in taste buds and 'cravings' for a lot of sweet things, but this comes with a complete lifestyle change.

I think you might find once you get stuck into Kefir it will take the edge off of your sugar cravings, at least I found it helpful with myself.

I'm looking forward to it. I assume you make it flavored with fruit? Is it sour plain? I bought some organic plain yogurt from Australia the other day. I'm used to eating the yoplait yogurt or whatever so I was surprised at how thin the consistency was. It was almost drinkable like the coconut kefir I've had. I've never eaten plain yogurt either. It was kind of sour. I'm guessing kefir is really similar?

Paradox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silverlin on Sun May 30, 2010 9:08 am

Kefir does have a sour taste similar to yogurt(though not the same), except the sourness of the kefir depends on how long you ferment it. If you put it in the fridge after you have strained it for a period of time, it will become even more sour.

Once you strain the milk kefir from the grains it's beneficial to regularly let the kefir sit at room temperature for another 24hours, this process is called "ripening". Ripening produces (among other things)a greater B vitamin, lactic acid content in the kefir.

Once in a while I'll have some fruit with some kefir ice cream, but generally I don't have milk kefir with fruit(they don't mix well from a food combining point of view).

Silverlin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rdkml on Sun May 30, 2010 7:54 pm

I'll second Silverlin in that brown rice is really a perfect food. Although, I should add soaking the brown rice for a bit in water to remove the phytic acid is what should be done.

Eating fruit year round is really only a recent phenomenon. In short, if you're lineage doesn't come from the equator then you'll depress your phosphate levels = calcification issues.

You can try the best of both worlds and consume small amounts of fruit for X number of months and then stop for the rest of the year.

rdkml

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Amaranthaceae on Sun May 30, 2010 8:32 pm

Many fruits will make blodsugar rise and this is especiallly true for smoothies. By eating a fiber-rich raw vegetable also
when eating sweet fruits you keep the bloodsuagar balance intact .. carrot is a ideal for this.

Amaranthaceae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Mon May 31, 2010 1:49 am

Thanks for all the advice. Jdp, If you boil the brown rice until all the water has evaporated...is that enough? On a similar note, I've read that cooking/soaking renders lectins inactive. Thoughts on that one?

Paradox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sdguy on Mon May 31, 2010 4:00 am

Bump for soaking brown rice. How long do you need to soak it to remove phytic acid and how does that affect the time spent cooking? I like brown rice and usually just wash and cook for 30 minutes.

sdguy

View user profile http://healthyfixx.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rdkml on Mon May 31, 2010 5:34 am

Rice doesn't need to be soaked for very long IME before cooking. When I do soak my rice before I cook it to reduce phytic acid (which isn't very often as it's inconvenient) I usually do white rice/brown rice for about 1 or 1 1/2 hours. Any longer and becomes too soft. Other grains, nuts and seeds you'd soak longer as they have more phytic acid. Phytic acid is fiber which basically reduces the vitamin and mineral content. I've personally noticed I don't get nearly as hungry later in the day if I've soaked the rice to remove phytic acid. I should mention that I've never tried other grains, nuts and seeds as I don't consume them so can't say for those.

Also, soaking the rice before cooking doesn't change the cooking time but again does make the rice softer.

Paradox,

Regarding lectins, yes, that's true to an extent and I believe that article you posted the other day mentioned that. Keep in mind you want to remove the water and put new fresh water in though.

hope this helps

rdkml

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Mon May 31, 2010 9:01 am

It does help jdp thanks. good to know about the cook time on the rice too.

Paradox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  takingaction on Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:10 am

jdp701 wrote:I'll second Silverlin in that brown rice is really a perfect food. Although, I should add soaking the brown rice for a bit in water to remove the phytic acid is what should be done.

Eating fruit year round is really only a recent phenomenon. In short, if you're lineage doesn't come from the equator then you'll depress your phosphate levels = calcification issues.

You can try the best of both worlds and consume small amounts of fruit for X number of months and then stop for the rest of the year.

Yeah, he's right. Fruit consumption historically was low in many parts of the world, according to a book I read. I can't imagine that drinking fruit juice was common anywhere. Generally fruit should not be consumed in drink form.

takingaction

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson on Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:03 pm

Brown and White rice are the same. White rice has all of the rice bran removed. Brown rice has some left on. Rice bran is a superfood, but it goes rancid quickly because of the enzymes. Stabilized rice bran can be had. Brown rice is more nutritious than white, but not a superfood in my book. It doesn't really contain that much bran and germ, and if it did it would be rancid anyway.

Gibson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE on Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:13 pm

Fruit is better because fruit and vegetables are the primary foods humans evolved eating. Brown rice is a very good staple too. White rice contains no fiber and contains less vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients (like beta-sitosterol) than brown rice. Even thou fruit is better than brown rice...brown rice is defiantly better than eating lots of processed foods or fatty foods.

misterE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top