Natural Hair Growth Products
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum

Iodine Supplementation.

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Iodine Supplementation.

Post  Decro435 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:22 pm

Well after the past 3 years of having premature hair loss from the age of 17, trying several drugs and forumlations such as Finasteride and Minoxidil I think I might have found the best cure for my hair loss. For the first time yesterday I tried Iodine in the form of Iosol after IH advised me that I had a strong chance of being Hypothyroid due to my family history.

Almost an 25 minutes after trying Iodine my energy levels exploded, but most importantly after a day of quite heavy scalp inflammation it completely subsided. I can honestly say that none of you here have suffered scalp inflammation like I have and to have such a burden lifting off my shoulders is euphoric.

So this morning I wake up and for the first morning in it seems forever I have no inflammation. I take 1 drop of Iosol instead od the 2 drops I took the first day which is about 1.8mg (1 Drop). I get the same enrgetic feelings as the first day but heres the problem. I start getting neck pains. First they started up around my jawline and now they are down around my collar bone, clearly something to do with my Thyroid but what exactly is it?.

I've seen on several forums that it is detox symptoms, but I've also seen on several forums that it could be that I'm aggravating my Thyroid. I've never been diagnosed with any Thyroid condition but I'm now certain I have one due to the elimination of my itchy scalp and the fact that my hair feels better only after one day. I'm afraid that I might be aggravating my Thyroid though, when you get a pain in a area you think it's usually bad, right? Should I be worried?. Could it be that I have Hashimotos? I really want to continue using iodine because it seems to be my cure for hair loss since it eliminated my inflammation almost immediately while almost nothing else could. Are neck pains normal for Iodine supplementers?

Decro435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Iodine Supplementation.

Post  CausticSymmetry on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:31 pm

Decro435 - It's from the bromide being pulled out. There's quite a number of potential symptoms that commonly occur after initial iodine supplementation. All are due to certain halide minerals being pulled out, particulary bromine.

Years ago when I started with iodine, I had some headache pain, which eventually subsided.

See this thread about Salt Loading, which will explain how to overcome the short-term sides of bromide toxicity:

http://immortalhair.forumandco.com/natural-hair-regrowth-f1/iodine-supplementation-protocol-salt-loading-t3369.htm#29730

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/hairconsultation.htm

CausticSymmetry
Admin

View user profile http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Decro435 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:49 pm

I'm going to ask you this once CS. You've possibly been one of the most helpful people I've ever met and I trust your answer..

From what I understand, there is completely no risk in supplementing Iodine, am I right?

Also, I guess the worse the neck pains the worse I was suffering?

And, I in no way will suffer any damage from using Iodine while still suffering neck pains?

I guess this means I'm Hypothyroid, right?

How long do the neck pains usually last and how many others have you seen with this?

Sorry for being so inquisitive but it seems like you were right all along CS, hopefully things will continue like this (apart from the neck pains). Seems like I have a lot to learn about the Thyroid. Thanks for your help..

Decro435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:19 pm

Decro435 - Everyone is a little different. There are a variety of substances that compete against iodine for the thyroid. Halogens such as chlorine, bromine are the most common.

My frontal headache pain occurred for maybe a few days to a week. Others have different symptoms, with different lengths in their discomfort.

We now know that using high dose Vitamin C maybe enough to control many symptoms, or the full salt loading protocol if necessary.

Iodine itself is basically harmless, and most of the controversy over it use was probably born out of poor studies in combination with bromide toxicity.

Bromide is found in everything from fumigants to pharmaceutical drugs (including finasteride), gatorade and anything with brominated vegetable oils (citrus drinks), flour products, etc.

Iodine is found deficient in 96% of people tested.

The whole body needs iodine and stores some 1500 milligrams of it, but only after the thyroid is satisfied with its requirements. The thyroid itself holds 50 mgs of it.

I've had interesting results giving people iodine with various diseases. This is one mineral that is really essential, however due to a medical idiophobia (a new term that describes fear of iodine by dogmatic medical professionals), most people are not getting nearly enough of it for optimal health.

It is said that Dr. Abraham deserves the Noble prize for his work on iodine. It's very doubtful he'll ever get it.

CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  randle20 on Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:14 am

Decro435,

The same exact thing happened to me about 5 days ago. For the past two months I was taking 5 drops of Lugols 5% iodine every day and did not notice any difference in the slow rate that my hair was shedding until 5 days ago when I accidentally filled the whole dropper with iodine and released it in water. Which is probably anywhere from 10-20 drops. I immediately noticed less inflammation and the next day I lost less hairs. Since the past few days I have upped my dosage of Iodine to about a full dropper as well as reading IH's quotes here.

http://immortalhair.forumandco.com/natural-hair-regrowth-forum-f1/quotes-from-causticsymmetry-2-28-10-10-15-08-t2706.htm

There is a lot of information on Iodine regarding the detoxification of metals etc. Both IH and a physician told me that it could take approx 6-9 months to optimize thyroid function.

I never took a look into this because I thought that since I am 22 it might have to do more with Androgen blockade. When I first started loosing hair in 2007 I immediately got a blood test and I remember the nurse telling me that I had a slightly overactive thyroid, hence hyperthyroidism. She also said that it wasn't hyper enough to put me on medication. I also did a search on the forum and found out that Iodine is needed for that as well. I believe that you will not see any results with the top 6 unless everything is in check and I can safely say now I believe two of the main reasons are thyroid function and heavy metals toxicity.

randle20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:48 am

randle20,

You are 100 percent correct and the same thing applied for me.

Back to top Go down

Post  IntoTheWest on Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:50 am

CausticSymmetry - If the side effects of Bromide are present while supplementing with iodine, how long should one supplement with high doses of vit-C to releive those side effects, or is it a constant battle to keep the bromide under controll meaning constant supplementing with high doses of vit-C or even salt loading.

Thanks

IntoTheWest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Decro435 on Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:12 am

Randle and 1... I think we are all in the same position.

Randle, it is intersting that you didn't notice anything on 5 drops of Lugols. I noticed reactions on just 1 drop on Iosol, I'm going to buy some selenium, Magnesium and Vitamin C today and also try salt loading. I'll keep you guys updated.

Decro435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Decro435 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:31 pm

Okay, so my inflammation has subsided considerably since starting Iodine, 5 days ago now. But, along with that I've also had a big increase in hair loss. I'm shedding quite a lot at the moment and I'm wondering whether or not this is a good shed. I know you guys can't tell me for sure, but did any of you notice a shed when you began Iodine?.

I thought that for someone to be successful with a hair loss regimen the first thing that would need to happen would be for their scalp itch to subside, am I seeing the old hairs being kicked out in favour of new hair?.

Decro435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LA-Night on Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:36 pm

Sometimes, intense shedding precedes tremendous growth.

It could be a good thing, man.

LA-Night

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  action<reaction on Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:47 pm

I don't think that Iodine can accelerate hair loss, we've seen through a lot of good studies that all the hoo-hah about iodine inducing Hyperthyroidism is a load of outdated crap.

In terms of well-being Decro, how are you feeling?

action<reaction

Location: Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, the Milky Way

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Decro435 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:01 pm

I wasn't feeling great yesterday, but feel good today. Feel more energized than usual. Did anyone else have a period of shedding after starting Iodine?.

Decro435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:01 pm

IntoTheWest - A few weeks to a month, let's say if you're using salt loading or trying high dose C.

Decro435 - I've experienced some sheds during detox and iodine supplementation, and of course it's impossible to tell whether these are good or bad. It's actually been a long while since I've had any sheds -- at least a year, but I've also been taking iodine for a while.

Iodine pulls out the bromide and other halogens or whatever is blocking thyroid function (mercury, etc.). Everyone will have varying levels of contamination. Then there are other factors, iodine symporter, co-factors, etc.

After the thyroid reaches sufficient levels, the rest of the tissue can benefit as well. A "positive" shed likely occurs when the anagen phases is recapitulated, causes the precursor--exogen stage, followed by a new anagen phase.

CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  action<reaction on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:19 pm

CS - I've always wondered while browsing through hypothyroid / iodine deficient cases how they fare in the in-between phase of treatment, we always see before and after pictures.

One of the first things that is usually noticed and pointed out is the facial features being less bloated, and of course, the hair. Within those six months do you feel that the people in question shed, then grew new healthier hair? or simply resumed a familiar amount of shedding and started just growing new hair in and around those same follicles?

It's always bothered me, the mechanics of that.

action<reaction

Location: Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, the Milky Way

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sky-walker on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:01 pm

I'm not an expert but i Have seen that shedding on iodine thérapy can be due to hyperthyroidism.

sky-walker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top