Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Natural Hair Growth Products
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum

what do the experts have to say about trans fat content in meat??

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

what do the experts have to say about trans fat content in meat??

Post  fumanchu on Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:22 pm

I noticed meat, aside from the mighty saturated fat, has a trans fat content. I suppose this would apply dairy products as well?

So is eating more than one little slice of roast beef daily bad for your health?

Of all the meat threads I've come across here, I don't remember reading any posts regarding the trans fat issue.

Anything important we should know?

fumanchu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what do the experts have to say about trans fat content in meat??

Post  misterE on Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:17 pm

fumanchu wrote:

So is eating more than one little slice of roast beef daily bad for your health?

Well regardless of the trans-fat (which we all know is bad), the protein in the roast-beef directly lowers SHBG, which allows testosterone conversion. The way protein lowers SHBG is by increasing free-IGF-1; the most potent inhibitor of SHBG.

misterE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fumanchu on Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:36 pm

I'm a protein type, I would break like a twig without it.

My question was about trans fats, if you can't answer it, don't post.

fumanchu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:05 pm

fumanchu - Meat does not contain trans-fat unless it is fried in vegetable oils.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/hairconsultation.htm

CausticSymmetry
Admin

View user profile http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  fumanchu on Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:58 pm

Really?!

Ahh, now i see. I bought some hungarian salami the other day. One of the ingredients is corn syrup solids. It's the processing.

This is good news. Though, I'm not ready to give up my salami.

fumanchu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:01 pm

fumanchu wrote:

My question was about trans fats, if you can't answer it, don't post.

Trans-fat is known to decrease HDL-cholesterol and increase LDL-cholesterol, which increases the risk for atherosclerosis, a disease that correlates with MPB along with diabetes and prostate-enlargement!

Plus the body does not need trans-fat, nor saturated-fat or mono-unsaturated-fat. The only fat needed by the body is your omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty-acids.

misterE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:12 pm

CausticSymmetry wrote:Meat does not contain trans-fat unless it is fried in vegetable oils.

There is a small of trans-fat in red-meat naturally, regardless of being fried or not. If anyone buys ground-beef (which I don't suggest) look at the nutritional-facts on the back and look at the trans-fat serving, chances are you will see that there is trans-fat in red-meat!

Also I read that there is also some trans-fat in dairy-products as well, but nowhere near the amount in processed-pastries and other chunk-food like Oreo-cookies or Hostess-cupcakes. I’m not sure if poultry or fish have any or not, but the protein-problem is enough to keep me from eating ‘em anyway.

misterE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  2Young2BeBald on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:16 pm

CausticSymmetry wrote:fumanchu - Meat does not contain trans-fat unless it is fried in vegetable oils.

Is that just in vegetable oil, what about frying with coconut oil? Also is frying classed as healthy cooking depending on which oils used?

2Young2BeBald

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:27 pm

2Young2BeBald wrote:

Also is frying classed as healthy cooking depending on which oils used?

No, in fact the fat in vegetable-oils (including palm, olive, and coconut) is already in the form of triglycerides (free-fatty-acids), so when you consume the triglycerides, it turns directly into body-fat. Now the nasty on body-fat is that body-fat contains aromatase-enzymes, which turn free-testosterone into estrogen! Also, body-fat causes insulin-resistance by coating the muscle-fibers and preventing the muscles from taking insulin out of circulation.

Cooking-oil is a processed-food and also the most fattening, clocking in at 120-calories (from fat) per tablespoon!

misterE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zerx on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:13 am

WTF are you doin on this forum MisterE. You are probably the only vegan om this forum but you try to hijack every thread with your ideas. Most of us dont like the grains that you are praising so drop it already.

The craziness(confusion/lack of grasp of basic facts) in your last post is there for everyone to see.

And for you to cast coconut oil in a bad light makes me think that you must be a troll.

zerx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:37 pm

misterE - SHBG is good to lower when it is too high. This is not normally the case except for young males (it's corrected by improved glucose metabolism).

Most of the time in those who are in the mid-20's and beyond, their SHBG is too high, which takes makes testosterone more inactive than before and allows estrogen to have a greater presence.

It is a common mistake for many in health areas to equate with X="bad" and Y="good"

Normalization might be a better term.

Regarding coconut oil, unlike long chain triglycerides (LCT), which are of greater benefit to a medium and faster oxidizer than a slow oxidizer like yourself (I'm assuming here), medium chain triglycerides found in coconut oil are directed into the liver where it all of it is converted into energy.

Slow oxidizers typically benefit from the low fat, high carbohydrate diet, so a long chain fatty acid load will require more energy to metabolize. Medium and fast oxidizers can eat more LCT because they will be converted into energy much faster.

However, all camps will have no trouble with MCT from coconut oil.

CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE on Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:26 pm

CausticSymmetry wrote:misterE - SHBG is good to lower when it is too high. This is not normally the case except for young males (it's corrected by improved glucose metabolism).

Most of the time in those who are in the mid-20's and beyond, their SHBG is too high, which takes makes testosterone more inactive than before and allows estrogen to have a greater presence.

Women have twice as much SHBG as men, which is why they don't bald. Their testosterone is bound by SHBG, unable to convert. The problem isn't high SHBG in men, in fact low SHBG is associated with many diseases: cardiovascular-disease, diabetes, cancers, acne, PCOS, etc.

SHBG is supposed to increase as we age to help our longevity, but the problem comes from lowering SHBG too much (eating too much protein, fat, processed-foods) when it is supposed to be increasing (after age 30).

The problem is low SHBG, which leaves a high (total) estrogen/DHT to (total) testosterone ratio. Since testosterone is "free" to be converted and not bound to SHBG, it leaves plenty of room for estrogen and DHT to bind, when this happens estrogen and DHT are not being excreted or metabolized and are starting to accumulate inside the body.

Estrogen, DHT and testosterone all compete for the same receptor. That receptor is SHBG.

misterE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:27 pm

misterE - Of note, it is the liver (condition) in how it metabolizes sugar, and not so much insulin that effects it.

So we might be making a lot of noise, because it doesn't seem that we disagree so much, except on the diet issue.

Yes, PCOS is definitely associated with low SHBG, and iodine is pretty important in this regard.

Improving the liver is a critical step to correct this.

Eating meat has nothing to do with a good or bad SHBG to any degree worth debating in my opinion.

CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:07 pm

CausticSymmetry wrote:

Eating meat has nothing to do with a good or bad SHBG to any degree worth debating in my opinion.

In the study called Diet and Sex Hormone-Binding Globulin, it shows that protein consumption is inversely related to SHBG, while fiber consumption is positively associated with SHBG.

The way protein lowers SHBG is by increasing free-IGF-1; the most potent inhibitor of SHBG, by lowering IGFBP's [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7], which makes sense because protein is needed for growth. But research shows that less stimulation of growth actually slows the aging process [6] [8] [9] [10] [11]! So after a person hits puberty, it is best for them to stop stimulating themselves to grow (drinking milk, eating lots of protein and fats) in order to prevent The Metabolic Syndrome and premature aging.

[1] Dietary correlates of plasma insulin-like growth factor I and insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3 concentrations.
[2] Determinants of circulating insulin-like growth factor I and insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3 concentrations in a cohort of Singapore men and women.
[3] The influence of dietary intake on the insulin–like growth factor (IGF) system across three ethnic groups: a population–based study.
[4] The associations of diet with serum insulin–like growth factor I and its main binding proteins in 292 women meat–eaters, vegetarians, and vegans.
[5] Relationship of Dietary Protein and Soy Isoflavones to Serum IGF-1 and IGF Binding Proteins in the Prostate Cancer Lifestyle Trial.
[6] Long-term effects of calorie or protein restriction on serum IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 concentration in humans.
[7] Effects of caloric or protein restriction on insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) and IGF-binding proteins in children and adults.
[8] Early growth and ageing.
[9] Role of the GH/IGF-1 axis in lifespan and healthspan: lessons from animal models.
[10] The scientific basis of caloric restriction leading to longer life.
[11] A low-fat, whole-food vegan diet, as well as other strategies that down-regulate IGF-I activity, may slow the human aging process.

misterE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Directo on Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:49 am

Not about meat, but I just found this: click

Directo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum