FAQ
 Search
Natural Hair Loss Regimen

CS, Drinking olive oil in the morning?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

CS, Drinking olive oil in the morning?

Post  teacup on Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:07 pm

An old folk remidy from the middle east is to drink virgin pure olive oil in the morning on an empty stomach, a quck google search shows that olive oil is anti inflammatory, reduces pain and can combat cancer..

What is a good dosage of olive oil taken internally per day?

teacup

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CS, Drinking olive oil in the morning?

Post  misterE on Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:37 pm

Monounsaturated-fat from olive-oil reduces blood flow by 31% and impairs endothelial function [1]. The fat you eat, is the fat you wear! And the fat found in olive-oil is already in the form of triglycerides and is effortlessly turned into body-fat which increases inflammation, estrogen and insulin due to the inflammatory-cytokines and aromatase-enzymes produced by fat-cells. Fat-cells also block insulin from entering the cells, thus causing excess insulin in the blood, which then lowers IGFBP-3 and SHBG

[1] The postprandial effect of components of the mediterranean diet on endothelial function.

misterE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  teacup on Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:46 pm

Mr. E - Thanks. Well, what you wrote makes sense so thanks for your response, however as a result i am confused...

So, is the science you are using wrong, your reasoning of it is incorrect, or are the studies I posted below showing that olive oil reduces inflammation are wrong, or is my interpretation of these studies incorrect?

So, check this one out:

Arthritis Rheum. 2010 Jun;62(6):1675-82.
Effect of oleocanthal and its derivatives on inflammatory response induced by lipopolysaccharide in a murine chondrocyte cell line.

Iacono A, Gómez R, Sperry J, Conde J, Bianco G, Meli R, Gómez-Reino JJ, Smith AB 3rd, Gualillo O.

Santiago University Clinical Hospital, Santiago de Compostela, Spain.
Abstract

OBJECTIVE: In joint diseases, cartilage homeostasis is disrupted by mechanisms that are driven by combinations of biologic factors that vary according to the disease process. In osteoarthritis (OA), biomechanical stimuli predominate, with up-regulation of both catabolic and anabolic factors. Likewise, OA progression is characterized by increased nitric oxide (NO) production, which has been associated with cartilage degradation. Given the relevance of cartilage degenerative diseases in our society, the development of a novel pharmacologic intervention is a critically important public health goal. Recently, oleocanthal isolated from extra virgin olive oil was found to display nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug activity similar to that of ibuprofen, a drug widely used in the therapeutic management of joint inflammatory diseases. We undertook this study to evaluate the effect of oleocanthal and its derivatives on the modulation of NO production in chondrocytes.

METHODS: Cultured ATDC-5 chondrocytes were tested with different doses of oleocanthal and its derivatives. Cell viability was evaluated using the MTT assay. Nitrite accumulation was determined in culture supernatant using the Griess reaction. Inducible NO synthase (NOS2) protein expression was examined using Western blotting analysis.

RESULTS: Oleocanthal and its derivatives decreased lipopolysaccharide-induced NOS2 synthesis in chondrocytes without significantly affecting cell viability at lower concentrations. Among the derivatives we examined, derivative 231 was the most interesting, since its inhibitory effect on NOS2 was devoid of cytotoxicity even at higher concentrations.

CONCLUSION: This class of molecules shows potential as a therapeutic weapon for the treatment of inflammatory degenerative joint diseases.

PMID: 20201078 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

and this one

n Nutr. 2008 Dec;27(6):900-7. Epub 2008 Sep 27.
Inhibitory effect of olive oil on fibrosis induced by carbon tetrachloride in rat liver.

Fang HL, Lai JT, Lin WC.

Graduate Institute of Chinese Pharmaceutical Science, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan, ROC.
Abstract

BACKGROUND & AIMS: In this study, the inhibitory effect of olive oil on liver fibrosis induced by carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4)) has been investigated in rats.

METHODS: Rats were divided randomly into four groups: control, CCl(4), and two olive oil groups. Except for rats in the control group, all rats were orally administered CCl(4) twice a week for 8 weeks. Rats in the olive oil groups were treated daily with olive oil (2 or 10 ml/kg) through gastrogavage for the entire experimental period.

RESULTS: RT-PCR analysis showed that CCl(4) increased the hepatic mRNA expressions of lipopolysaccharide binding protein, CD14, Toll-like receptor-4, NADPH oxidase, nuclear factor-kappa beta, collagen (alpha1) (I), collagen (alpha1) (III), and transforming growth factor beta1. The expression of these mRNAs could be decreased by olive oil treatment. In addition, Western blot analysis also supported these results. CCl(4)-induced liver damage, as characterized by the increase in hepatic malondialdehyde and hydroxyproline levels. Olive oil treatment decreased the hepatic malondialdehyde and hydroxyproline levels. Histological evaluations showed that olive oil could attenuate the liver fibrosis, necrosis, and expression of smooth muscle alpha-actin that are induced by CCl(4).

CONCLUSION: It is speculated that the phenolic compounds in olive oil significantly reduced CCl(4)-induced hepatic fibrosis in rats.

and

The Mediterranean diet, rich in virgin olive oil, improves the major risk factors for cardiovascular disease, such as the lipoprotein profile, blood pressure, glucose metabolism and antithrombotic profile. Endothelial function, inflammation and oxidative stress are also positively modulated. Some of these effects are attributed to minor components of virgin olive oil.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16008542

What do you think?
Could we reach a consensus on this issue?

teacup

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE on Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:50 pm

--Not to mention the body already makes all the monounsaturated-fat it needs on the own. Olive-oil (monounsaturated-fat) is unessential-fat and is not needed by the body. Also I think this is worth mentioning: about 15% of the total-fat content of olive-oil is artery-clogging saturated-fat. Saturated-fat, whether is be from animals (cheese, butter) or plants (coconut-oil, palm-oil) makes the blood fatty and reduces blood-flow [1], in fact, coconut-oil is used to induce atherosclerosis in lab-animals!

You would be better off with ground-flax meal, which contains essential fats (omega-3 and omega-6) and lignans.

[1] Consumption of Saturated Fat Impairs the Anti-Inflammatory Properties of High-Density Lipoproteins and Endothelial Function.

misterE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  teacup on Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:53 pm

let me clarify, on the first study above on "oleocanthal", this is a naturally occurring chemical found in extra-virgin olive oils.

ScienceDaily (Sep. 6, 2005) — A naturally occurring chemical found in extra-virgin olive oils is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent, report scientists from the Monell Chemical Senses Center and collaborators at the University of Pennsylvania, The University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, and Firmenich, Inc.
Named oleocanthal by the researchers, the compound inhibits activity of cyclooxygenase (COX) enzymes, a pharmacological action shared by ibuprofen.

The finding is significant because inflammation increasingly is believed to play a key role in a variety of chronic diseases. "Some of the health-related effects of the Mediterranean diet may be due to the natural anti-COX activity of oleocanthal from premium olive oils," observes Monell biologist Gary Beauchamp, PhD.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/09/050906075427.htm

teacup

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE on Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:54 pm

teacup wrote: Mr. E - Thanks. Well, what you wrote makes sense so thanks for your response, however as a result i am confused...

What do you think?
Could we reach a consensus on this issue?

There might be a small amount of anti-inflammatory properties to olive-oil, like beta-sitosterol, but as far as fat-metabolism is concerned; the fat you eat, is the fat you wear. And body-fat secretes very powerful inflammatory-cytokines.

misterE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunkyStumpfighter on Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:00 am

MisterE's theories on these kinds of things have been debunked many times on this forum, I urge you to take everything he says with a grain of salt. I'm sure he has already forgotten that the vegan propaganda link he provided you was debunked in a many pages long thread here not 2 weeks ago.

I have taken pure olive oil on many occasions, sometimes as a part of a liver cleansing program, and other to "fat load" and experiment on how it would effect me. Taking too much will make you sick to your stomach, not in a painful way, but in a very queasy sense. I took a teaspoon in the mornings for a while, as a means of adding some fat to my breakfast so that the vitamin K I was taking would be better absorbed, and I never saw any adverse effects from it. That said, I also didn't see any obvious benefit, though I only took it for maybe a month 5-6 days a week. I have since switched to coconut oil because of its high MCT content and its flavor.

TheFunkyStumpfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  teacup on Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:37 am

could you please point me to the thread where Mr E.'s theory was debunked, I'd like to read the argument against and for oils .. I want to know if it is the science or the logic that is wrong.. I am open minded to all theories so as of now I can't help but see the logic in his argument Smile until I see a different more convincing logic or science.. having said that, I am not ready to quit adding olive oil to my diet, or quit eating meat, taking fish oil, krill oil, raw butter, kefir, liver etc..

thanks for pointing the thread out to me so i can read the pro/con of Mr E's theories.

teacup

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyj on Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:01 am

The postprandial effect of components of the mediterranean diet on endothelial function

I read this study a while back. This study was done back in 2000 on a small group of people has yet to be duplicated. From what I remember, Dr. Vogel's study suggest that eating foods rich in anti-oxidants negate the vessel constricting effect of olive-oil. Factors such as high cholesterol and high blood pressure are linked to heart disease, none of which olive oil contributes to. And olive oil has been shown to lower blood pressure. So if you are going to take spoon full of olive oil, find an excuse to drink some red wine as well.

tonyj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  teacup on Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:16 am

tonyj - thanks for sharing this clarification on the study cited by Mr. E.

teacup

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnalhorse on Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:25 am

I generally drizzle extra virgin coconut oil with balsamic vinegar on my salad.

Nocturnalhorse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ppm on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:40 am

Way better than unrefined olive oil(OO) is unrefined rapeseed oil(RO). Btw RO has the highest phytosterol content and lowers cholesterol the most.

Some readings on the subject:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8105749
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20206485
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8730609
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7909389

ppm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE on Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:31 am

There is no scientific evidence that a high-fat diet reverses heart-disease or diabetes or even prostate-enlargement for that matter (all three diseases correlate with MPB). However those three diseases were reversed naturally. I'll even give you the names of the doctors who reversed diabetes, heart-disease and prostate-enlargement; Dr. Neal Barnard, Caldwell Esselstyn, and Dean Ornish (in that order). I challenge any one here to find evidence that a high-fat diet reverses heart-disease, estrogen-dominance, or diabetes... it has never been done!

The diet they all used was a very low-fat/high-fiber diet void of all dairy-products, all meats (animal-protein) including chicken and fish, cooking-oils and other fatty foods like nuts, seeds, olives or avocadoes. The diet calls for lots of beans, lentils, peas, etc. Whole-grains like brown-rice, corn, oats, barley, quinoa and other starches. Vegetables like potatoes, carrots, cabbage, broccoli, collards, squash, rutabagas, kale, etc. and Fruits like apples, oranges, banana’s, mango, watermelon, raisins etc.

misterE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven_Tyler on Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:17 pm

After I started with 1 tablespoon of olive oil in my diet, I noticed that my hair was prettier

I think that small amounts will only bring benefits

Steven_Tyler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Directo on Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:21 pm

misterE wrote:There is no scientific evidence that a high-fat diet reverses heart-disease or diabetes or even prostate-enlargement for that matter (all three diseases correlate with MPB). However those three diseases were reversed naturally. I'll even give you the names of the doctors who reversed diabetes, heart-disease and prostate-enlargement; Dr. Neal Barnard, Caldwell Esselstyn, and Dean Ornish (in that order). I challenge any one here to find evidence that a high-fat diet reverses heart-disease, estrogen-dominance, or diabetes... it has never been done!

The diet they all used was a very low-fat/high-fiber diet void of all dairy-products, all meats (animal-protein) including chicken and fish, cooking-oils and other fatty foods like nuts, seeds, olives or avocadoes. The diet calls for lots of beans, lentils, peas, etc. Whole-grains like brown-rice, corn, oats, barley, quinoa and other starches. Vegetables like potatoes, carrots, cabbage, broccoli, collards, squash, rutabagas, kale, etc. and Fruits like apples, oranges, banana’s, mango, watermelon, raisins etc.
Not again please...

Directo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top