Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Cannabinoids inhibit hair growth

Go down

Cannabinoids inhibit hair growth

Post  mphatesmpb on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:06 pm

Inhibition of human hair follicle growth by endo- and exocannabinoids

Andrea Telek, Tamás Bíró, Enik Bodó, Balázs I. Tóth, István Borbíró, George Kunos and Ralf Paus

Recent studies strongly suggest that the cannabinoid system is a key player in cell growth control. Since the organ-culture of human hair follicles (HF) offers an excellent, clinically relevant model for complex tissue interaction systems, we have asked whether the cannabinoid system plays a role in hair growth control. Here, we show that human scalp HF, intriguingly, are both targets and sources of endocannabinoids. Namely, the endocannabinoid N-arachidonoylethanolamide (anandamide, AEA) as well as the exocannabinnoid (9) -tetrahydrocannabinol dose-dependently inhibited hair shaft elongation and the proliferation of hair matrix keratinocytes, and induced intraepithelial apoptosis and premature HF regression (catagen).These effects were inhibited by a selective antagonist of cannabinoid receptor-1 (CB1). In contrast to CB2, CB1 was expressed in a hair cycle-dependent manner in the human HF epithelium. Since we successfully identified the presence of endocannabinoids in human HF, our data strongly suggest that human HF exploit a CB1-mediated endocannabinoid signaling system for negatively regulating their own growth. Clinically, CB1 agonists may therefore help to manage unwanted hair growth,while CB1 antagonists might counteract hair loss. Finally, human HF organ culture offers an instructive, physiologically relevant new research tool for dissecting "nonclassical" effects of endocannabinoids and their receptor-mediated signaling in general.—Telek, A., Bíró, T., Bodó, E., Tóth, B. I., Borbíró, I.Cayenne Pepper is the only natural CB1 blocker known and this mechanism may account for its apparent hair growth stimulation effects, especially when orally consumed with Soy Isoflavone extracts. Cayenne pepper has profoundly beneficial effects for certain types of heart disease and is considered curative for certain types of cancer.
mphatesmpb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cannabinoids inhibit hair growth

Post  9rugrats5 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:34 pm

Very interesting news, thank you. Do note, however, south asians typically consume a lot of cayenne or red pepper in their meals, and hair loss in men here is as prevalent as anywhere else. So, there might be more to that story.

What about natural CB1 agonists, though, are there any? Some of us have more body hair and less where it should be. Maybe, if hair growth is suppressed elsewhere, it might grow better in the head!

happy new year to all.
-9r5-
9rugrats5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  crincrin on Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:23 am

rugrats, do you live in South Asia?

A distinction needs to be made between red peppers in general and cayenne pepper. Are you sure that South Asians eat cayenne pepper and not some other sort of pepper?
crincrin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  9rugrats5 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:49 am

crincrin wrote:rugrats, do you live in South Asia?

A distinction needs to be made between red peppers in general and cayenne pepper. Are you sure that South Asians eat cayenne pepper and not some other sort of pepper?

Yes, I'm in S Asia. You do have a point there, cayenne pepper is probably a different pepper, but distinctions don't seem to be very clear between the different types, and their chemical constituents. Here, the peppers are usually called chillies (mirch), and the same pepper is used in food when green or red (ripened, dried).

Here's a link that I could find, click image to enlarge.
http://www.agricultureinformation.com/mag/?p=5241

-9r5-
9rugrats5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:12 am

I guess we're all South Asian on this thread? lol

MPB seems to be unfortunately prevalent among our people. It makes me think that genetics is the deciding factor in hair loss.
mphatesmpb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  crincrin on Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:44 am

mphates I thought your name was Mikhail over at Tom Haggerty's forum?

Yea seems to me we get hit with a lot of diffuse thinning. How about this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-alcoholic_fatty_liver_disease#Genetics
crincrin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:09 am

Hahaha. 'Mikhail' is my alias. It was just the most ridiculous name I could think of when I was registering for accounts on various hair loss forums. I didn't realize that you used Tom Hagerty's forums - what was your sn? Do you do the scalp exercises?

-MP
mphatesmpb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:13 am

Hahaha. 'Mikhail' is my alias. It was just the most ridiculous name I could think of when I was registering for accounts on various hair loss forums. I didn't realize that you used Tom Hagerty's forums - what was your sn? Do you do the scalp exercises?

Interesting article about Indians and the fatty liver disease. Our people have some pretty awful genetics.

-MP
mphatesmpb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  crincrin on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:14 am

lol I just lurk there from time to time. I keep meaning to do the exercises but I always forget.
crincrin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:18 am

The search function on here doesn't seem to go back far enough, but the functions of cannabinoids has been discussed at some length.

Do note that Resveratrol and Curcumin in combination act as antagonists towards endo and exo cannabinoids.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
Admin

View user profile http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:32 pm

crincrin,

Following up on the prevalence of MPB in Indian men:

Vitamins, selenium, iron, and coronary heart disease risk in Indians, Malays, and Chinese in Singapore.

Hughes K, Ong CN.

Department of Community, Occupational, and Family Medicine, National University of Singapore, Faculty of Medicine, Singapore.

Comment in:

* J Epidemiol Community Health. 1998 Nov;52(11):764.

Abstract

STUDY OBJECTIVE: To examine the hypothesis that the higher rates of coronary heart disease (CHD) in Indians (South Asians) compared with Malays and Chinese is partly because of differences in antioxidants (vitamins A, C, and E, and selenium) and pro-oxidants (iron).

DESIGN: Cross sectional study of the general population.

SETTING: Singapore.

PARTICIPANTS: Random sample of 941 persons aged 30 to 69 years.

MAIN RESULTS: There were moderate correlations between vitamin A and vitamin E, and between these vitamins and selenium. Mean plasma vitamins A and E were similar by ethnic group. Vitamin A concentration for Indians were (men 0.66 and women 0.51 mg/l), Malays (men 0.67 and women 0.54 mg/l), and Chinese (men 0.68 and women 0.52 mg/l). Vitamin E concentrations for Indians were (men 12.9 and women 12.8 mg/l), Malays (men 13.6 and women 13.3 mg/l), and Chinese (men 12.6 and women 12.6 mg/l). In contrast, mean plasma vitamin C concentrations were lower in Indians (men 5.7 and women 6.9 mg/l) and Malays (men 5.1 and women 6.4 mg/l) than Chinese (men 6.3 and women 8.4 mg/l). Mean serum selenium was lower in Indians (men 117 and women 115 micrograms/l) than Malays (men 122 and women 122 micrograms/l) and Chinese (men 126 and women 119 micrograms/l). Mean serum ferritin was much lower in Indians (men 132 and women 50 micrograms/l) than Malays (men 175 and women 85 micrograms/l) and Chinese (men 236 and women 92 micrograms/l).

MAIN CONCLUSIONS: Lower vitamin C and selenium in Indians, particularly in combination, could play a part in their increased risk of CHD. Vitamins A and E, and ferritin (iron) have no such role. Lower vitamin C in Indians and Malays is probably because of its destruction by more prolonged cooking. In Indians, lower selenium is probably because of a lower dietary intake and the much lower ferritin to a lower dietary intake of iron and its binding by phytates.
mphatesmpb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  9rugrats5 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:04 pm

Good posts there, mp and crincrin. So, a liver detox and increased vit-C and selenium might be a good start for those of us in the subcontinent.

mp, it isn't just the Indians suffering from mpb, so it's probably not genes. I've noticed a greater proportion of younger population affected in the west, though that is just a personal observation, and might well be wrong.

-9r5-
9rugrats5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb on Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:43 am

Do note that Resveratrol and Curcumin in combination act as antagonists towards endo and exo cannabinoids.

It's been mentioned that the resveratrol/curcumin combination counteracts the stress-based inhibition of hair growth. CS, do you know if activation of the cannabinoid receptors in hair follicles is the only pathway by which stress causes hair loss? (Are there any other receptors which might mediate the effects of stress)?
mphatesmpb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:43 am

mphatesmpb - I sure wish it (endocannabinoids) were the only trigger. The study link at the bottom is quite interesting. I've been taking Panax Ginseng regularly and there are two studies that show promise that it may help counteract the cortisol factor.

http://immortalhair.forumandco.com/t5007-discussion-of-corticotropin-releasing-hormone-and-mpb

http://immortalhair.forumandco.com/t5318-l-ornithine-attenuates-corticotropin-releasing-factor-induced-stress-responses-acting-at-gabaa-receptors

http://www.fasebj.org/content/early/2005/07/29/fj.04-1968fje.long

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
Admin

View user profile http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rudiger on Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:40 am

If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't this mean THC is bad for hair but CBD (Cannabidiol), the non psycho-active and anxiolytic part of cannabis would be pro-hair since its a very potent indirect CB1 and CB2 antagonist? (CBD acts as an antagonist to CB1/2 agonists)

Rudiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  calvicie on Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:24 am

Rudiger wrote:... CBD (Cannabidiol)... would be pro-hair since its a very potent indirect CB1 and CB2 antagonist?
I sure hope so because I put some in my homemade shampoo (and I feel like it's working, but it could be wishful thinking)
calvicie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down