Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum

GALEA: Scalp Muscle that causes Male Pattern Baldness

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GALEA: Scalp Muscle that causes Male Pattern Baldness

Post  MikeGore on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:28 am

This Galea seems to be the cause of hair loss:

It is a tendon-like tissue which exists only on the top of the scalp. This GALEA looks like a helmet and its shape matches exactly the worst cases of male pattern baldness, all this makes all the pieces of the puzzle fit into place and one must conclude that it plays a role in hair loss. This GALEA is attached to muscles all around the perimeter of the head and these muscles pull on it and stretch it in all directions. That's why all bald men look like they have a stretched, shiny scalp. This tightened GALEA chokes off the blood flow and this causes the DHT to have a greater damaging effect on the top of the scalp than anywhere else. In fact, we only go bald in those areas where this GALEA exists and nowhere else on the scalp.

First I thought skull expansion was the reason, but this makes more sense than that. It because of GALEA!. What is unfortunate is that the propecia, minox companies evident involvement on forums that aim in debunking new or old theories that would reduce their income.

Forum after forum, post after post, where is the freaking solution to hair loss. Google Hair loss cure and nothing really new comes up. Why?

If it is this Galea that is the cause of hair loss. What can be done? Scalp exercises, any herbs that would affect the galea?

Mike

MikeGore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GALEA: Scalp Muscle that causes Male Pattern Baldness

Post  phoenix21 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:21 am

Mike,

I've also previously taken interest in scalp muscles, scalp exercises, etc. and their relationship to hair loss. I definitely think that they are a factor. What I keep coming back to is that circulation is probably one of the smaller pieces of the hair loss puzzle.

In other words, look at some of the things that the seasoned posters on this forum have been talking abuout - endocrine function, (thyroid, etc.), heavy metal burden, calcification, pathogens, insulin resistance and more. There has been sucess for quite a few takling those issues.

IMO scalp exercises can help, but I think its definitely a good idea to get your internal environment in good shape first.

phoenix21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  j87x on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:57 am

Maybe an electric ab belt would help. Scalp exercises are unrealistic, no one is going to stick with them in the long run.

j87x

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zender on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:55 pm

So I guess that women don't have this specific muscle :p

zender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeGore on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:40 pm

Women do have this muscle. But what is the difference with men and women with regards to muscles? Men are more muscular. Apparently, the testosterone levels affect the musculature in the human body. So an increase in testosterone means increased muscle. Look at the baldest peoples' scalp. Its all a layer of muscle which can't be easily seen.

I am not saying the that this on its own will cure hair loss. But its a LARGE piece of the puzzle. People think that all that blood circulation does, is to supply the hair follicle with nutrients. But it also gets rid of the dht that has accumulated in the scalp. Improper circulation means improper removal of dht from the area.

I am saying that a strong emphasis should be given to this galea muscle. All the regimens, dieting, supplements, the change in hormones etc also affects the muscles. It also explains why stress causes hair loss, since tension in the scalp will affect the galea muscle.

I believe it also explains a theory that I had. Some head shapes seem to be less prone to hair loss. So it still is a genetic issue.

From http://www.malepatternbaldness.net:

Letís apply this theory to the pattern and see if it works. If you were to have two equal and opposite forces being applied across a curve, where would the force be greatest? At the exact center or highest point of the curve. Where does the bald spot start? At the center! As it grows, it radiates symmetrically. Why is it that when these muscles contract over the flat plates of the skull there is no hair loss? No curve, no down force, no blood flow impediment. You remember those muscles I mentioned earlier? The ones behind the ears that pull them back? Well, when those contract, guess where the slack gets taken up. Right, these amplify the down force exerted by the side muscles enormously.

http://www.malepatternbaldness.net/fig3.htm

Hope people don't ignore this.

MikeGore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  j87x on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:54 pm

What would cause hairloss on the sides of our heads?

j87x

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  act<react on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:56 pm

This leaves out a hell of a lot and has some outright inaccuracies, but it does explain quite well the "pattern". Thanks for sharing!

act<react

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Misirlou on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:14 pm

If this is true, why do people not able to produce the famous enzymes that converts T to DHT, always keep their hair and develop zero acne? They have many other problems, but I'm sure most of them have the scalp muscles intact.

Misirlou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeGore on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:14 pm

If this is true, why do people not able to produce the famous enzymes that converts T to DHT, always keep their hair and develop zero acne? They have many other problems, but I'm sure most of them have the scalp muscles intact.

I didn't quite understand what you meant, but what you mention still makes sense with the galea theory. In the post, I know I mentioned T and DHT, but the galea theory emphasizes how the muscle affects blood flow.

As for hair loss on the side of the head, other (non-mpb) hair loss types obviously exist.

This is a theory that make sense to me quite a lot. As with all theories, if a person attempts to debunk or discredit a theory, you can be sure that a reason can always be found.

One reason why a person with high testesterone not having hair loss could be due to the headshape. If one head has more curvature compared to the other, the one with more curvature will probably be more susceptible to hair loss. I am not saying there aren't any other factors like the immune system, diet, toxins, hormones, but this large piece of the puzzle could mean the difference between regrowth and maintanence. Maybe the chinese were right all along, circulation IS the cause.

MikeGore

MikeGore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeGore on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:15 pm

I know people like debates, but I don't think it would really hurt if you looked into things which would release tension or perhaps reduce thickness of the galea muscles, or massage the head specifically to relieve galea muscle tension. With the galea muscle in mind, the massage should be done in a different way. Perhaps occipito-frontalis and tempor-parietalis muscle should be lifted upwards or massaged to relived the tension. So basically a little emphasis on these muscle when massaging rather then just massaging the top of the head.

Maybe there are some dietary factors that affect the inflammation of this muscle, permeability or contraction etc. Maybe supplements and herbs that help to relieve tension in muscles would help hair loss. Here are some I found that are muscle relaxers. Interestingly, they also help with hair loss.

Cayenne, Magnesium, Vitamin D, Chamomile, Licorice, GABA, Horsetail, Epsom Salt, Lavender, Rosemary, Catnip, Horse Radish, Caffeine

MikeGore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  act<react on Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:03 pm

MikeGore wrote:I know people like debates, but I don't think it would really hurt if you looked into things which would release tension or perhaps reduce thickness of the galea muscles, or massage the head specifically to relieve galea muscle tension. With the galea muscle in mind, the massage should be done in a different way. Perhaps occipito-frontalis and tempor-parietalis muscle should be lifted upwards or massaged to relived the tension. So basically a little emphasis on these muscle when massaging rather then just massaging the top of the head.

Maybe there are some dietary factors that affect the inflammation of this muscle, permeability or contraction etc. Maybe supplements and herbs that help to relieve tension in muscles would help hair loss. Here are some I found that are muscle relaxers. Interestingly, they also help with hair loss.

Cayenne, Magnesium, Vitamin D, Chamomile, Licorice, GABA, Horsetail, Epsom Salt, Lavender, Rosemary, Catnip, Horse Radish, Caffeine

I know stress can be a very powerful instigator of MPB, but of course that's got many many different mechanisms.
With regards to eliminating stress, especially in the muscles and relaxing I strongly agree that you should learn to just completely relax and let things flow out of your mind, no worries, dealing with the Thyroid and Adrenals have helped me the most with it.

act<react

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  magic_gro on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:08 pm

@mikegore: which ones of those muscle relaxers can be taken orally?

thanks!

magic_gro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lambyjay on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:00 am

I remember finding that website ages ago and thinking I had found the solution. This website as thought me different. I think it does have a part to play but maybe its the final nail in the coffin (tightening of the scalp) rather than the beginning the problem. Scalp excercies do help and in times of extreme inflammation they help me. I believe scalp excercises help in ridding of calcification due to movement of blood flow but I experienced an increase in loss at the hairline doing them. At the same time it is crazy when you see the shape of the galea and the area that MPB occurs. I guess receptors are just contained in the galea.

lambyjay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeGore on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:14 am

I have heard Lavender, Caffeine, Cayenne and Rosemary used as topicals. Other than these, most of them can be taken orally as far as I know.

I have heard of people losing hair as a result of scalp exercises by few people on Tom Hagerty website. It is possible in my opinion that if a person is doing the exercises in a manner that would strengthen this muscle or cause tension that they would lose hair. So maybe it is better to do the massage with the hands as opposed to using the muscles. And when massaging pushing muscles upwards instead of downwards to relieve tension.

I am no expert this is just my opinion. How would you do the scalp exercises lambyjay?

MikeGore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lambyjay on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:29 pm

MikeGore,

I do the scalp excercies the same as Tom Hegarty. Im not sure the loss I experience while doing these could cause regrowth in the future as I have always gotten scared by the loss of hair and stopped doing them. I do believe in some sort of excercises. Scalp massage definately does help to relieve inflammation. Scalp excercese does bring more blood flow to the scalp than massage IMO though. In regards topicals I have tried some of the ones you mentioned. Lavender oil and rosemary oil along with some tea tree oil mixed in some aloe vera gel is quite soothing really on the scalp. Aloe vera gel is also great applied to facial skin when left on over night and is a good astringent. There is a natural 'minoxidol' recipe with :

lavender, thyme, rosemary, and cedarwood
in a base of Grapeseed and Jojoba oils.

That was shown to be as effective as Minox in a study. (plus it smells nice!!)
At the end of the day they prob work in similar fashion. Apparently Minox works by increasing blood flow to the scalp which lavedar rosemary and thyme are thought to do. Cedar wood oil is an anti-septic apparently.
Its really messy though and not exactly perfect for those with wives/GF's. (if left on at night)
I found massaging this in and then doing some meditation with heavy breathing brought good blood flow to the scalp.
You could get up half an hour earlier in the morning and do this before your morning shower (it really sets you up for the day in a good mood too!)
Cayenne pepper did nothing for me externally. The turmeric and resveratrol internally is definately a great combo for fighting inflammation.

lambyjay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top