View previous topic View next topic Go down

IGF suppelment??

Post  Nanas on Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:26 am

Nanas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: IGF suppelment??

Post  mphatesmpb on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:21 pm

Why would you want to supplement IGF? SHBG levels are decreased by high levels of insulin and insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1).
mphatesmpb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nanas on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:23 pm

I dont understand , IGF is good or bad for hair?

IGF responsible for much of what is attributed to HGH and triggered by HGH, so if increase Hgh is good why IGF is not?

Some quotes ive found on growth factor discussion from hairlosshelp.com :

"Here's the thing, I'm 37 and the male pattern baldness started kicking in about 12 years ago. I have been using rogaine(tm) for 4-5 years steady, and it just slows the progress IMO. I am seeing new hair growth after two weeks of IGF-1 R3. This is not my imagination, small fine hairs where my hairline has receeded are coming back. Anyway, thought others might like to know. Perhaps there is some synergy there, but I haven's seen anything but the finest of hairs with rogain and I've been using it over 4 years. It's enough that I noticed, so did my wife."

"Whilst on HGH and IGF-1 had fantastic hair and regrow full teenage like hairline but now due to location cant get it.
Other things that help too include VEGF, EGF, KGF and FGF. (generally "increases with use of above too)"

Nanas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nanas on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:24 pm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10673454

insulin-like growth factor 1 and hair growth.
Su HY, Hickford JG, Bickerstaffe R, Palmer BR.

Insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) has been identified as an important growth factor in many biological systems.[1] It shares considerable structural homology with insulin and exerts insulin-like effects on food intake and glucose metabolism. Recently it has been suggested to play a role in regulating cellular proliferation and migration during the development of hair follicles. [2,3] To exert its biological effects, the IGF-1 is required to activate cells by binding to specific cell-surface receptors. The type I IGF receptor (IGF-1R) is the only IGF receptor to have IGF-mediated signaling functions.[1] In circulation, this growth factor mediates endocrine action of growth hormone (GH) on somatic growth and is bound to specific binding proteins (BPs). The latter control IGF transport, efflux from vascular compartments and association with cell surface receptors.[4] In tissues, IGF-1 is produced by mesenchymal type cells and acts in a paracrine and autocrine fashion by binding to the IGF-1R. This binding activates the receptor tyrosine kinase (RTK) that triggers the downstream responses and finally stimulates cell division.[5] IGF-1 may therefore be able to stimulate the proliferation of hair follicle cells through cellular signaling pathways of its receptors. Local infusion of IGF-1 into sheep has been reported to be capable of stimulating protein synthesis in the skin.[6] It may also increase the production of wool keratin. Recently, transgenic mice overexpressing IGF-1 in the skin have been shown to have earlier hair follicle development than controls.[7] In addition, this growth factor plays an important role in many cell types as a survival factor to prevent cell death.[8] This anti-apoptotic function of IGF-1 may be important to the development of follicle cells as follicles undergo a growth cycle where the regressive, catagen phase is apoptosis driven. In this review, the effects of IGF-1 on follicle cell proliferation and differentiation are discussed. In particular, the paracrine versus endocrine action of IGF-1 on hair growth and the targeting of expression of the growth factor to the follicles of transgenic animals will be emphasized. The anti-apoptotic role of IGF-1 in hair follicles is also reviewed. Prospects for future studies on hair and fiber growth by IGF-1 are discussed."

[b]
[b]

Nanas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb on Sun May 01, 2011 1:16 pm

Nanas,

I'm not sure. The following study shows that IGF-I promotes 5AR activity in skin tissue:

Androgen induction of steroid 5 alpha-reductase may be mediated via insulin-like growth factor-I

The abstract:
The action of added insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) on steroid 5 alpha-reductase (5 alpha R) activity was studied using primary cultures of rat or human scrotal skin fibroblasts. Agents were added to cultured cells (2 x 10(5) cells) for 2 days, and enzyme activity was measured by the percent conversion of [3H] testosterone to DHT over a 4-h period in the absence of fetal calf serum or other growth factors. DHT, but not testosterone, at 10(-7) M significantly increased 5 alpha R activity (rat, 1.5 +/- 0.3% to 3.0 +/- 0.4%; human, 7.6 +/- 1.7% to 11.4 +/- 2.9%; P < 0.01). IGF-I (10(-9)-6.4 x 10(-9) M), but not IGF-II (10(-9)-10(-Cool M) or insulin (10(-9)-10(-7) M), increased enzyme activity in a dose-related fashion [i.e. 1.5 +/- 0.5 to 10 +/- 2 in rat and 6.0 +/- 1.1 to 9.8 +/- 1.6% (P < 0.01) in human cells]. No change in cell numbers was observed in any experiment.

Since the effect of IGF-I was about 100 times that of androgen, we studied the possibility that androgen induction of the enzyme activity could be via IGF-I production. Addition of a monoclonal antibody against IGF-I significantly reduced the effect of DHT, and simultaneous addition of a specific IGF-I receptor antibody blocked the expected induction of 5 alpha R activity (control, 4.9 +/- 0.5; DHT, 8.0 +/- 1.9; DHT plus IGF-I receptor antibody, 3.7 +/- 0.4%). No effect on 3 alpha-reduction of [3H]DHT to 3 alpha-androstanediol was detected in separate experiments. These studies indicate that IGF-I may be an important regulator of skin 5 alpha R activity and, thus, may influence DHT formation. The previously known androgen induction of this peripheral steroidogenic enzyme may be via paracrine/autocrine production of an IGF-I-type growth factor.

Maybe CS can drop some wisdom on this one.
mphatesmpb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Biffy on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:20 pm

I am scared of using Colostrum cuz of IGF-I promoting 5AR activity, but I must note that anti-androgens never done much for my hair so maybe I lack IGF-1, ...will probably need to experiment and see if anything good or bad happens.

Biffy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  piranha on Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:52 pm

Intermittent fasting boosts igf levels you might want to take A look

piranha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content