Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Apple Cider Vinegar, Garlic and Honey Tonic

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Apple Cider Vinegar, Garlic and Honey Tonic

Post  LittleFighter on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:17 am

http://www.healthymuslim.com/articles/zccrk-garlic-honey-and-apple-cider-vinegar-must-have-excellent-home-remedy.cfm

Has anyone tried this consistently?

I'd add ginger and Ceylon cinnamon for more effects.

What do you think?
LittleFighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Apple Cider Vinegar, Garlic and Honey Tonic

Post  Silverlin on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:27 am

I haven't tried those ingredients all together like that, but i've taken those ingredients separately for ages. I consume lots of cooked and raw garlic/turmeric and some ginger, apple cider vinegar as a shot before meals, and I love manuka honey, which I believe to be one of the most beneficial honeys for health in the world.

My digestion is perfect.
Silverlin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:31 am

Silverlin wrote:I haven't tried those ingredients all together like that, but i've taken those ingredients separately for ages. I consume lots of cooked and raw garlic/turmeric and some ginger, apple cider vinegar as a shot before meals, and I love manuka honey, which I believe to be one of the most beneficial honeys for health in the world.

My digestion is perfect.

Thanks for providing your experience Silverin.

I totally beleieve it has positive effects. Part of it because it's antiinflammatory, antibacterial, prebiotic, nutritive, etc.

I would say it has the capacitity to modify the gut flora and its biofilm over time, to a better composition.

Will try making it with cinnamon and ginger. Thanks.
LittleFighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter on Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:37 pm

I just made it, added ginger and Ceylon Cinnamon. I stored it in the refrigerator in a vacu vin container.

Hopefully more people will try it. Essentially all is left untested.
LittleFighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  a<r on Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:44 pm

Bookmarking. Will try this after GAPS for sure.

"When you're going through hell, keep going!" - Winstone Churchill
a<r
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter on Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:36 pm

Remembered something Dr Art Ayer mentioned about traditional methods...

Why vinegar works for arthritis if it doesn't really get to the joints or affected areas?

Well a way to explain it is because it attacks biofilms in the gut, by making the cathions making up the biofilm soluble. The same applies to Glucosamine, it doesn't make it to the joints but messes up with inflammatory biofilms.

The remedy presented in this post essentially dissolves evil biofilms, kills microorganisms and performs other functions.

I think abc123 is doing apple cider vinegar, which is great I think. I've read some cases of success just by using vinegar.

Action, I'm glad you're going with the GAPS diet. After all, you didn't get tested to see what's your current situation at the gut level. If Lyme's is what you have, the biofilm aspect will be dealt with in this diet. The GAPS diet changes the terrain IMHO, to give you an example: low SIgA promotes biofilm formation, restoring it will make the terrain not friendly anymore for pathogens. Hoping you really solve the problem, I feel you're on your way to achieving it.
LittleFighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:43 am

LittleFighter wrote:Remembered something Dr Art Ayer mentioned about traditional methods...

Why vinegar works for arthritis if it doesn't really get to the joints or affected areas?

Well a way to explain it is because it attacks biofilms in the gut, by making the cathions making up the biofilm soluble. The same applies to Glucosamine, it doesn't make it to the joints but messes up with inflammatory biofilms.

The remedy presented in this post essentially dissolves evil biofilms, kills microorganisms and performs other functions.

I think abc123 is doing apple cider vinegar, which is great I think. I've read some cases of success just by using vinegar.

Action, I'm glad you're going with the GAPS diet. After all, you didn't get tested to see what's your current situation at the gut level. If Lyme's is what you have, the biofilm aspect will be dealt with in this diet. The GAPS diet changes the terrain IMHO, to give you an example: low SIgA promotes biofilm formation, restoring it will make the terrain not friendly anymore for pathogens. Hoping you really solve the problem, I feel you're on your way to achieving it.

Yes ACV and raw manuka honey. It's amazing stuff for bacteria and biofilm, I'll post some studies later.

abc123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pancacke on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:46 am

For which biofilms?

pancacke

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:11 am

Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009 Jul;141(1):114-8. Epub 2009 Mar 9.
Effectiveness of honey on Staphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilms.
Alandejani T, Marsan J, Ferris W, Slinger R, Chan F.
Source

Department of Otolaryngology, University of Ottawa, and Childrens Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. dr_talloo@yahoo.com
Abstract
OBJECTIVES:

Biofilms formed by Pseudomonas aeruginosa (PA) and Staphylococcus aureus (SA) have been shown to be an important factor in the pathophysiology of chronic rhinosinusitis (CRS). As well, honey has been used as an effective topical antimicrobial agent for years. Our objective is to determine the in vitro effect of honey against biofilms produced by PA and SA.
STUDY DESIGN:

In vitro testing of honey against bacterial biofilms.
METHODS:

We used a previously established biofilm model to assess antibacterial activity of honey against 11 methicillin-susceptible SA (MSSA), 11 methicillin-resistant SA (MRSA), and 11 PA isolates. Honeys were tested against both planktonic and biofilm-grown bacteria.
RESULTS:

Honey was effective in killing 100 percent of the isolates in the planktonic form. The bactericidal rates for the Sidr and Manuka honeys against MSSA, MRSA, and PA biofilms were 63-82 percent, 73-63 percent, and 91-91 percent, respectively. These rates were significantly higher (P<0.001) than those seen with single antibiotics commonly used against SA.
CONCLUSION:

Honey, which is a natural, nontoxic, and inexpensive product, is effective in killing SA and PA bacterial biofilms. This intriguing observation may have important clinical implications and could lead to a new approach for treating refractory CRS.

J Int Acad Periodontol. 2004 Apr;6(2):63-7.
The effects of manuka honey on plaque and gingivitis: a pilot study.
English HK, Pack AR, Molan PC.
Source

Discipline of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand.
Abstract

Research has shown that manuka honey has superior antimicrobial properties that can be used with success in the treatment of wound healing, peptic ulcers and bacterial gastro-enteritis. Studies have already shown that manuka honey with a high antibacterial activity is likely to be non-cariogenic. The current pilot study investigated whether or not manuka honey with an antibacterial activity rated UMF 15 could be used to reduce dental plaque and clinical levels of gingivitis. A chewable "honey leather" was produced for this trial. Thirty volunteers were randomly allocated to chew or suck either the manuka honey product, or sugarless chewing gum, for 10 minutes, three times a day, after each meal. Plaque and gingival bleeding scores were recorded before and after the 21-day trial period. Analysis of the results indicated that there were statistically highly significant reductions in the mean plaque scores (0.99 reduced to 0.65; p=0.001), and the percentage of bleeding sites (48% reduced to 17%; p=0.001), in the manuka honey group, with no significant changes in the control group. Conclusion: These results suggest that there may be a potential therapeutic role for manuka honey confectionery in the treatment of gingivitis and periodontal disease.

Phytother Res. 2008 Nov;22(11):1511-9.
Effect of different doses of Manuka honey in experimentally induced inflammatory bowel disease in rats.
Prakash A, Medhi B, Avti PK, Saikia UN, Pandhi P, Khanduja KL.
Source

Department of Pharmacology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh-160012, India.
Abstract

To evaluate the effect of different doses of Manuka honey in experimentally induced inflammatory bowel disease in rats. Adult Wistar rats of either sex were used (n = 30). Colitis was induced by a single intracolonic administration of TNBS dissolved in 35% ethanol. The rats (n = 30) were divided into five groups (n = 6) and were treated with vehicle (ethanol), TNBS, Manuka honey (5 g/kg, p.o.), Manuka honey (10 g/kg, p.o.) or sulfasalazine (360 mg/kg, p.o.) body weight for 14 days. After completion of treatment, the animals were killed and the following parameters were assessed: morphological score, histological score and different antioxidant parameters.Manuka honey at different doses provided protection against TNBS-induced colonic damage. There was significant protection with Manuka honey 5 g/kg as well as with 10 g/kg body weight compared with the control (p < 0.001). All the treated groups showed reduced colonic inflammation and all the biochemical parameters were significantly reduced compared with the control in the Manuka honey treated groups (p < 0.001). Manuka honey at different doses restored lipid peroxidation as well as improved antioxidant parameters. Morphological and histological scores were significantly reduced in the low dose Manuka honey treated group (p < 0.001). In the inflammatory model of colitis, oral administration of Manuka honey 5 g/kg and Manuka honey 10 g/kg body weight significantly reduced the colonic inflammation. The present study indicates that Manuka honey is efficacious in the TNBS-induced rat colitis model, but these results require further confirmation in human studies.

Methylglyoxal: (active agent of manuka honey) in vitro activity against bacterial biofilms†

1. Shaun J. Kilty MD1,*,
2. Melanie Duval MD1,
3. Francis T. Chan PhD2,
4. Wendy Ferris MSc2,
5. Robert Slinger MD2

Article first published online: 25 MAY 2011
Abstract
Background

Pseudomonas aeruginosa (PA) and Staphylococcus aureus (SA) biofilms are associated with poor chronic rhinosinusitis (CRS) disease control following surgery. Manuka honey (MH) has been shown to be both an effective in vitro treatment agent for SA and PA biofilms and nontoxic to sinonasal respiratory mucosa. Methylglyoxal (MGO) has been reported to be the major antibacterial agent in MH. The effect of this agent against SA and PA biofilms has yet to be reported. Our objective was to determine the in vitro effect of MGO against biofilms of SA and PA, via in vitro testing of MGO against bacterial biofilms.
Methods

An established biofilm model was used to determine the effective concentration (EC) of MGO against 10 isolates of methicillin-resistant SA (MRSA) and PA. The EC of MGO was also determined against planktonic (free-swimming) MRSA and PA.
Results

For MRSA, the EC against planktonic organisms was a concentration of 0.08 mg/mL to 0.3 mg/mL whereas against the biofilm MRSA isolates, the EC ranged from 0.5 mg/mL to 3.6 mg/mL. For PA, the EC against planktonic organisms was a concentration of 0.15 mg/mL to 1.2 mg/mL for planktonic organisms whereas against the biofilm PA isolates, the EC ranged from 1.8 mg/mL to 7.3 mg/mL.
Conclusion

MGO, a component of MH, is an effective antimicrobial agent against both planktonic and biofilm MRSA and PA organisms in vitro.

Methylglyoxal-infused honey mimics the anti-Staphylococcus aureus biofilm activity of manuka honey: Potential Implication in Chronic Rhinosinusitis †‡

1. Joshua Jervis-Bardy MBBS,
2. Andrew Foreman BMBS (Hons),
3. Sarah Bray (BSc Hons),
4. Lorwai Tan PhD,
5. Peter-John Wormald MD

Article first published online: 25 APR 2011

DOI: 10.1002/lary.21717

Copyright © 2011 The American Laryngological, Rhinological, and Otological Society, Inc.

Abstract
Objectives/Hypothesis:

Low pH, hydrogen peroxide generation, and the hyperosmolarity mechanisms of antimicrobial action are ubiquitous for all honeys. In addition, manuka honey has been shown to contain high concentrations of methylglyoxal (MGO), contributing the relatively superior antimicrobial activity of manuka honey compared to non-MGO honeys. In high concentrations, manuka honey is effective in killing Staphylococcusaureus biofilms in vitro. Lower concentrations of honey, however, are desirable for clinical use as a topical rinse in chronic rhinosinusitis in order to maximize the tolerability and practicality of the delivery technique. This study, therefore, was designed to evaluate the contribution of MGO to the biofilm-cidal activity of manuka honey, and furthermore determine whether the antibiofilm activity of low-dose honey can be augmented by the addition of exogenous MGO.
Study Design:

In vitro microbiology experiment.
Methods:

Five S.aureus strains (four clinical isolates and one reference strain) were incubated to form biofilms using a previously established in vitro dynamic peg model. First, the biofilm-cidal activities of 1) manuka honey (790 mg/kg MGO), 2) non-MGO honey supplemented with 790 mg/kg MGO, and 3) MGO-only solutions were assessed. Second, the experiment was repeated using honey solutions supplemented with sufficient MGO to achieve concentrations exceeding those seen in commercially available manuka honey preparations.
Results:

All honey solutions containing a MGO concentration of 0.53 mg/mL or greater demonstrated biofilm-cidal activity; equivalent activity was achieved with ≥1.05 mg/mL MGO solution.
Conclusions:

MGO is only partially responsible for the antibiofilm activity of manuka honey. Infusion of MGO-negative honey with MGO, however, achieves similar cidality to the equivalent MGO-rich manuka honey.

abc123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  a<r on Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:42 am

Fantastic studies abc.

I remember a time in the summer of 2010 when I had that massive mineral thread going where I was taking the entire IH6 + fleet of supplements, yet had no benefit.

My only physical benefit came from ACV + Lemon and Honey. I remember the first couple of days actually having a herx like reaction, that I didn't understand at the time, I got deathly sick and could barely move in bed, head was spinning, comepletely neasous. A few days later it just went away and I felt much better than I did before.

Want to also stress the importance of something, making sure you know exactly where your honey is coming from and trusting the supplier.

a<r
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter on Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:11 am

Thanks for the amazing info.

Seems various bee products are beneficial for biofilms and infections:

• The cis-2-decenoic acid, contained in Royal Jelly, acts as a dispersant to dissolve protein, nucleic acids, polysaccharides in biofilms.
    Biofilm was penetrated by biocidal substances in honey.

LittleFighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zerx on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:48 am

And now the word biofilm comes up a lot on this forum. It's like we are in college and learning about new things over time Smile

I'd like to ask those that know if ACV affects good bacteria and so if supplementing with probiotics would be necessary.

zerx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  a<r on Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:39 am

Littlefighter and abc -

Would be out of line not to strongly recommend a good Humifulvate / MCP regimen during this, biofilms have heavy metals as a significant part of their structure, my best guess is that one of the big scale tippers in GI deterioration is the window opened up for pathogenic biofilms once detoxification in the gut slows. Will definitely want to consider this while breaking apart these messes otherwise you could wind up going in a circle and doing damage.

a<r
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:04 am

Very good point

Previous studies of biofilm and heavy metal interactions have mainly focused on the sorption of heavy metals. Several researchers have reported that biofilms are capable of removing heavy metal ions from bulk liquid (10, 16, 22, 25), and the use of biofilms to remove heavy metals from wastewater has been investigated (40, 45). Electron microscopy revealed that a P. aeruginosa biofilm was capable of sequestering heavy metals and that there was surface-associated precipitation of lanthanum by biofilm cells (23), while mercury-reducing Pseudomonas putida biofilms were found to accumulate elemental mercury on the exterior of the biofilms (41). Burkholderia cepacia biofilms on hematite and alumina surfaces were found to preferentially accumulate Pb2+ at concentrations higher than 1 µM, implying that the chemical nature of the attachment surface affects metal sequestration (39). Within a biofilm it has been found that EPS, specifically the polysaccharide components, binds heavy metals (5, 19-21, 27, 28).

In this study we sought to assess the effects of heavy metal toxicity on biofilm and free-swimming P. aeruginosa. The relative toxicities of the heavy metals zinc, copper, and lead for biofilm and free-swimming cells were examined. In addition, we compared the relative susceptibilities of logarithmic- and stationary-phase P. aeruginosa liquid cultures. Surprisingly, logarithmically growing P. aeruginosa was found to be more resistant than stationary-phase cells. However, biofilms were found to be less susceptible than free-swimming cultures. Our results also indicate that the exterior of a biofilm is preferentially killed after heavy metal treatment, which suggests that a biofilm is protected by sorption of heavy metals to the EPS matrix.

http://aem.asm.org/cgi/content/full/69/4/2313

Currently finishing off my chorella and humifulvate bottles. Could be a problem if these metals slip through a leaky gut and into the blood stream...

abc123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  a<r on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:48 am

Glad to hear you're doing some chelation abc, I've got a bottle of Chlorella here from Jarrows but I haven't tried it yet ... will soon.

If you're worried about metals slipping through a leaky gut I recommend Modified Citrus Pectin highly, will definitely make this a gentler, easier process. I remember my early days of experimenting with my diet and supplements, I was doing a raw vegetable / fruit diet at the time with small amounts of nuts and fish, while taking a higher quality probiotic my stools were the best they were in years, but only if I was taking the MCP with it. At the time that really made no sense to me.

a<r
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GreenPower on Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:50 pm

Wow its insane how far ahead prague really was with his research, he recommended this months ago. I drank acv and honey but never added the garlic, will definetly give this a try. Thanks for recommendation.

GreenPower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top