Natural Hair Growth Products
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum

Hair Like a Fox - Book Review

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hair Like a Fox - Book Review

Post  abc123 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:40 pm

About a year ago I purchased “The Healthy Hair Diet”, a book which gave me the dietary tools to halt my hair loss. Today I received my free copy of “Hair Like a Fox”, a Ray Peat inspired pro-hair and pro-metabolism diet book written by the same author Danny Roddy, which I have been highly anticipating.

Content
The main premise of this book is that the primary cause of hair loss is a disharmony of anti-hair hormones cortisol, estrogen, prolactin, serotonin, and aldosterone and that it can be halted naturally without drugs or a major supplement program. The books main goal is to show you how to harmonize these anti-hair hormones with diet alone while optimizing pro-hair hormones such as thyroid, pregnenolone, dhea, progesterone, and testosterone. The information is presented with great visuals and a straight forward no bullshit writing style. The author could have easily fluffed out the book to two hundred pages but it gets to the point quickly and concisely.

The rational of the book is based mainly on the work of Ray Peat but the author uses many of his own references to support his conclusions. The diet is not based on the illogical reasoning of, “cave man ate xyz therefore xyz is the best food because evolution says so.” that you see so often on the internet these days.

Hair Like a Fox covers many pro-hair nutritional strategies such as how to optimize thyroid hormone production, how to reduce harmful endotoxin, which foods to eat for pro-hair nutrients, the best ratio of macronutrients, the safest fats to eat, the best sources of protein, how to optimize digestion and much more. The book is extremely practical and the reader will walk away with the knowledge of what he should be eating for hair and why, and what he should avoid like the plague for hair and why.

As a book explaining a dietary approach to halt hair loss it hits the mark I cannot think of any critique apart the sample meal plans potentially being too boring for most people to follow. Aside from that, I would have liked to have seen more discussion on other Ray Peat inspired therapies such as daily aspirin, topical caffeine/dhea, and methods to increase the protective CO2. A more in depth trouble shoot guide may have also been needed, such as why one may get a “sugar crash” or how to exercise in a non-stress inducing manner.

My experience
If I could go back in time and visit myself when I was a 16 year old, apart from telling myself to create a social networking site called facebook, I would have handed myself a copy of Hair Like a Fox.

My improvements after six months on the diet are as follows:

Hair line remains stable and crown is becoming more dense
Decreased anxiety
Normalized sleep
Elimination of hypoglycaemia
Increased clarity of thinking
Increased libido
Muscle gain
Tighter and softer skin
Increased metabolism (On a high fat low carb paleo diet fat gain for me occurred at roughly 3500 daily calories, on a Hair Like a Fox diet I cannot gain a shred of body fat while eating to an almost vomit inducing satiety level at around 4250 daily calories. Unfortunately at the moment I am awaiting my impending obesity and type two diabetes due to my 350g/day fructose intake absent of nature’s "protective" fibre -

)
Elimination of dandruff
Elimination of acne

Reasons to buy the book

Hair like a Fox is the best summary of Ray Peat’s work I have seen on the internet. Not only that, it is the only interpretation of Ray Peat’s work available as applied to hair loss. From my perspective, there are two main reasons why one would buy this book.

Firstly, the book is a magnificent time saver for those who do not know of Ray Peat and for those who do not have a background in science. The majority of information in this book is gathered from Raypeat.com articles and several radio interviews of Ray Peat. For me personally, although it was time well spent, spending thirty to forty hours going through these information sources was not a labour of love. If Hair like a Fox was available to me when I first started learning about Ray Peat’s work I would of much rather bought the book and saved the large amount of time required to educate myself.

Secondly, related to the previous point, Hair Like a Fox serves as a great guide for a layman on how to implement and understand Ray Peats work. Ray Peat’s articles are primarily discussions and rather void of specific recommendations therefore it can take quite a lot of effort to determine how to construct a pro-hair diet. Hair Like a Fox not only provides a straight forward diet plan but also provides a layman’s understanding of how certain foods will create an anti-stress and pro-hair environment in your body. This understanding, while not necessary for success, is crucial for long term compliance to the diet.

In conclusion, Hair like a Fox is a great layman’s summary of Ray Peat’s work and how it particularly applies to hair with practical information on how to implement it. If you are losing the hair loss battle or having other unresolved health problems I would recommend you try this book.

abc123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hair Like a Fox - Book Review

Post  DM5 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:56 am

First and foremost I will say I have not read the book. But I have read up on the underlying strategy and am pretty versed on Danny's previous strategy. $50 is a bit too pricey for me at this time considering following this plan will severely limit my food choices and overall enjoyment of eating. Not to mention, its almost impossible to eat perfect when you are on the road or have to eat with friends. This is where the IH regimen shines. I will say that from a distance, what appears to be actually stopping one's hairloss in this program or the biggest factor would be the avoidance of processed food, industrial oils and things that spike DHT or SHBG. The adequate useage of Coconut Oil and other pro-hair fats like olive oil and avocado, will go a long way to halting one's hairloss both for its antifungal(anticandida) and antibacterial qualities. In fact I halted my loss last year with 3 grams a day of coconut oil but was tired all the time. I think the best thing one could do to leave their options open is use a combination strategy of healthier eating, but taking supplements like the IH 6 for maximum protection. I would go so far as to say that it is the loading up on coconut oil and avoiding processed food that stopped Danny's hairloss. I just don't think its necessary to take such a radical and punishing approach to stop one's hairloss as one can get the same results with some supplements. I think if one just reads up a bit on changing their diet especially at home in regards to their cooking oils and snacking and on the road as much as possible, one will do alright. Last but not least I love to eat and its hard to eat like a monk, and definitely not something I want to do, when I am out about and amongst friends. I am glad that I have IH supplements for this. Although the approach is not for me, I do respect ABC and others for being able to to stick to a strict eating plan like this.

May 25th 2013

March Worldwide

Like March Against Monsanto on Facebook

DM5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:12 am

Good honest review, although probably not much of it will be new to me I'm going to buy the book once I get enough money to actually afford it.

tooyoung

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  droddy on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:37 am

@Abc123, above and beyond. Thank you.

@Tooyoung, download the free quick start guide. It's most of the same information.

droddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Red beard on Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:10 am

Just bought and read the book a few hours ago.

Overall i am glad that i did. Although i already knew most of what was in there, it was nice to have it condensed into an easy to read 40 page pdf. It is without a doubt the best Ray Peat inspired guide on the net. The price of $47 is a bit steep for what you get but i am satisfied with what i got for my money.

My only real criticism is one that should not really apply here but i will give it anyway. I dont have any problems with hair, i bought this book because i am very interested in Peats ideas and wanted to see what Danny came up with. With that in mind i would love for Danny to expand, much like Abc said on Peats other ideas. I know this book is intended for Hair loss only so i am not surprised Danny didnt venture into other areas such as weight loss, muscle gain, etc although its implied that these things will come with time following the diet. Danny i hope you keep at this and decided to make a second book going into more detail.

Again, i am very pleased with this book. Its a great quick start for anyone not versed in Peats work and wants to see dramatic changes in hair loss as well as other areas of health. I hope this book gets out into the blogosphere because there is a ton of info here that goes against the popular paleo as well as vegan diets that are emerging.

Great work, and by the way i am starting this diet in full today. I have been following a Peat inspired diet for a couple months with great success but today i will be eliminating starches and adding gelatin and white sugar as well as other minor tweaks. I keep informed on how it goes.

Red beard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  droddy on Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:18 am

Thank you for the kind words Red Beard,

I won't stop until I'm dead, so there are many updates ahead. If you want the honest truth, I probably could have "sat on the book" forever. I forced myself to set a date and release it.

droddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fredounet on Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:27 am

Did not read book,

but only a few can regrow hair with diet alone, so I guess this book only fit to a few people.

fredounet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  droddy on Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:55 am

fredounet wrote:Did not read book,

but only a few can regrow hair with diet alone, so I guess this book only fit to a few people.

What?

droddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  j87x on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:47 am

fredounet wrote:Did not read book,

Well according to the quickstart guide, you basically eat whatever the hell you want including sugar (lol).

j87x

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sdguy on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:53 am

Downloaded my copy last night and like what I've read so far. It really clarifies Peat's ideas, which I hadn't investigated yet, and I also like the sample menu items. Will give a real review when I've had a chance to get all the way through it.

sdguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:11 am

j87x - Did you not read the "anti-hair foods" section?

droddy - Yeah I know, I have downloaded the quick start guide and it is a very good summary. I'm tempted just to get the book to read though.

tooyoung

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  unclebob on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:53 am

@abc123

So your success came from the advice in the older book, I assume. How different is the advice in the old versus the new one?

unclebob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:38 am

unclebob wrote:@abc123

So your success came from the advice in the older book, I assume. How different is the advice in the old versus the new one?

With regards to hair my original success came from the first book. When it comes to general health and metabolism I have found the diet advocated in Hair Like a Fox to be much better.

Off the top of my head the main take away message I got from the original book was to get rid of foods heavy in omega 6 and shitty anti-nutrient foods which I was eating a lot of at the time. I basically switched to eating well cooked sweet potato covered in coconut oil with meat and eggs everday. Not a Ray Peat optimal diet, but it was definitely not incompatible with good health and a massive improvement from a baseline western diet.

It was fortunate that I implemented the diet how I did because the original book said that a very low carb diet was also acceptable (which would of invovled me just eating coconut, meat, eggs), which would have been an utter disaster for me personally.

The two books really don't really compare with regards to rational, and the second one is much more well thought out in my opinion.

abc123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DM5 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:00 pm

ABC-

Congrats on your tenacity and results. You had said awhile back that hairloss can be stopped with diet and a few supplements and I totally agree. Wondering what supplements your taking in tandem. Also, when I was on my Coconut experiment taking around 3-4 grams a day I noticed alot of bloating and I gas. Do you get this and how do you deal with it? I actually stopped Coconut Oil for that but mostly because after awhile it made me really tired. I noticed as I stepped down the Coconut Oil my energy returned, but the bloating never left. When I was on the Oil, my loss halted pretty good even while I ate things like pizza, Mexican and Chinese food(never worried much about the Indian causing problems) and select desserts. It reminded me of when I was on Propecia.....my hair simply wasn't really affected. Do you eat this way all the time or do you allow yourself some happy slack?

May 25th 2013

March Worldwide

Like March Against Monsanto on Facebook

DM5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:43 pm

DM5 wrote:ABC-

Congrats on your tenacity and results. You had said awhile back that hairloss can be stopped with diet and a few supplements and I totally agree. Wondering what supplements your taking in tandem. Also, when I was on my Coconut experiment taking around 3-4 grams a day I noticed alot of bloating and I gas. Do you get this and how do you deal with it? I actually stopped Coconut Oil for that but mostly because after awhile it made me really tired. I noticed as I stepped down the Coconut Oil my energy returned, but the bloating never left. When I was on the Oil, my loss halted pretty good even while I ate things like pizza, Mexican and Chinese food(never worried much about the Indian causing problems) and select desserts. It reminded me of when I was on Propecia.....my hair simply wasn't really affected. Do you eat this way all the time or do you allow yourself some happy slack?

At the moment taking vit E mixed tocopherols, D3, and K2. I think they all are extremely crucial with regards to hair. The vitamin E is to help deal with the build up of polyunsaturates (usually from consuming vegetable oil, nuts, seeds), which can take up to four years to get out of your tissues. D3, because as you probably know, vitamin d levels extremely important. K2, see weston A price activator x.

Doesn't surprise me that you had success with hair just from adding coconut oil to your diet, I could literally write a 10 page essay on the positive effects of it with regards to hair. It really makes no sense that you got bloating from it though because of its fatty acid composition, so in my opinion something else in your diet was causing it (even you mentioned it never left after you stopped it). The same goes for decreased energy, everything I have learned about coconut oil points to the fact that it should increase energy and metabolism.

With regards to how often I eat this way, I never deviate from the diet even if I go out to eat. I would just order a steak with some sweet beverage or something similar. That said, I'm one of the freaks in this world who doesn't care much about what he eats. My only critcism of the book, as you pointed out as well, was that the sample meal plan was rather boring and monotonous. Most people would not follow it and either have to come up with their own menu or they would quit the diet. However, that does not mean that the diet cannot be made to taste delicious and be full of variety, I have seen plenty of "Ray Peat inspired" diets that are. I imagine Danny will update that section of the book to include a more exciting diet template.

From my interpretation of the diet, the good news is that I think you can apply the 80/20 rule for just about anything except when consuming polyunsaturates. If you are following the diet consistantly and doing the nutritional strategies to optimize health I cannot see anything wrong with having a cheese cake on a friday night. The diet is by fay more lenient than a strict paleo diet. As you also said, if you feel like the IH top 6 help you deal with "civilized food" I don't see how they are not compatible with this diet with the exception of resveratrol perhaps.

abc123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top