Search
Natural Hair Growth Products
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum

Keratosis Pilaris, Hair Loss, and Calcium

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Keratosis Pilaris, Hair Loss, and Calcium

Post  AS54 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:44 am

I have recently been trying to figure out a way to rid myself of keratosis pilaris. The affected areas are my upper arms and calves. Obviously this condition results from an overproduction of keratin.

I have recently read that keratin has a significant calcium content and that one of the reasons for its overproduction is too much calcium being deposited in the tissues. Based on information at this site, we know that oxidative stress, estrogen dominance, poor thyroid function, and really any type of stress increases calcium uptake. This often accompanies a magnesium deficiency.

Based on the success some members have had with magnesium and sea water (containing magnesium chloride) as a topical, could it be possible that my hair loss has a strong connection with my keratosis pilaris. Perhaps an excess of keratin production in the scalp is resulting from too much calcium intake due to some underlying stressor, probably estrogen dominance as I am most definitely estrogen dominant also. Let me know your thoughts, even if I am making too much of a stretch with this one.

AS54

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Keratosis Pilaris, Hair Loss, and Calcium

Post  imprisoned-radical on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:08 am

anthonyspencer54 wrote:I have recently been trying to figure out a way to rid myself of keratosis pilaris. The affected areas are my upper arms and calves. Obviously this condition results from an overproduction of keratin.

I have recently read that keratin has a significant calcium content and that one of the reasons for its overproduction is too much calcium being deposited in the tissues. Based on information at this site, we know that oxidative stress, estrogen dominance, poor thyroid function, and really any type of stress increases calcium uptake. This often accompanies a magnesium deficiency.

Based on the success some members have had with magnesium and sea water (containing magnesium chloride) as a topical, could it be possible that my hair loss has a strong connection with my keratosis pilaris. Perhaps an excess of keratin production in the scalp is resulting from too much calcium intake due to some underlying stressor, probably estrogen dominance as I am most definitely estrogen dominant also. Let me know your thoughts, even if I am making too much of a stretch with this one.

The problem is not excessive calcium uptake. In fact, I read that most people have impaired calcium absorption due to low vitamin D levels (vitamin D facilitates the absorption of calcium), even though their diets provide adequate amounts of calcium.

The problem is that deficiencies in vitamin K and magnesium result in resorption of bone minerals.

imprisoned-radical

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:12 am

anthonyspencer54 - keratosis pilaris is a manifestation of vitamin A deficiency (not beta carotene).

Also, like imprisoned-radical mentioned regarding the calcium factor, it has more to do with it's co-factors, Vitamin D, Vitamin K2 and especially Magnesium.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/hairconsultation.htm

CausticSymmetry
Admin

View user profile http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:37 am

Gotcha, thanks fellas.

AS54

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kyev on Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:38 am

I just joined this forum so that I could add to this Keratosis Pilaris discussion and share my experience with it. I've had it for most of my life though I wasn't born with it. My guess is that it had something to do with the tons of antibiotics I was put on for ear infections as a child.

Anyways, I've been experimenting with diets for a few years, from veganism to 26 day fasts (not recommended No ) and the last few months a more paleo-ish diet. I'm sure my KP would be gone and life would be all dandy right now had I a more precise method of experimenting, but I've tended to make many changes all at once and then never figure out what actually made a difference whether it was positive/negative or had no effect.

Well I've done better this time around with the paleo thing. I'm slowly dropping many of the supplements I was on and getting to the basics. I'm doing fermented cod liver oil daily, but am starting to limit other supplements like B-12, evening primrose oil, zinc as I'm not sure I've noticed any benefit from them.

I've had some interesting results over the last few weeks experimenting with beef liver and butter (after 2 year hiatus with dairy). As you may know liver is high in just about everything especially Vit. A, D, etc. And grass-fed butter is good for Vit. K2. Well, for a few weeks I felt like superman and was noticing a real difference for the first time ever with the KP...it was much softer and less inflamed and looked like the bumps were starting to flake away. Well it didn't last...long story short I was under-slept and over-stressed and came down with a virus. I wasn't comfortable with eating dairy while I was sick so I waited until I got over it and then reintroduced butter again last week. This time around I had some immediate throat irritation and woke up with swollen tonsils (though they were already swollen some from being sick) the next morning. It's very possible that I reacted this time because it was a different brand of butter (Kerrygold). First time I used handmade Amish butter. Not sure, so I'll have to experiment again.

That said, I think 'imprisoned-radical' and 'CausticSymmetry' are right on with their comments on Vit. K and magnesium. I've read some info indicating Vit. K deficiency leading to soft-tissue calcification in the arteries and such, but haven't been able to find all that much on how it relates to the skin, other than that it has a synergistic effect with Vit. A & D.

I couldn't help myself so I bought some magnesium oil (Swanson brand) the other day and have started applying it, so I'll see what that does. Anyone noticed a laxative effect from swimming in the ocean? Laughing For a while I was wondering why my digestion was so smooth at the beach this year.

As you mentioned anthony, there is probably some underlying stressor/thyroid issue that's contributing to the KP...possibly increasing the need for these nutrients or interfering with the absorption and assimilation process in some way. I know some people have cured it some I'm very hopeful.

And since this is a hair forum, I should mention that I'd really like to get rid of my dandruff!!

kyev

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  takingaction on Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:29 am

I was getting keratosis pilaris when consuming way too much vitamin A. And calcium & vitamin D with it, if that's relevant.

takingaction

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum