Natural Hair Loss Regimen
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum

Advice Needed - Burning Scalp Pain

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Advice Needed - Burning Scalp Pain

Post  Burninator on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Starting last July (2011) I started having some burning scalp pain all over my head, top, back, side, front, you name it. This all started during an extremely stress time in my life where I broke up with my long-term GF, tore my knee and dealt with a lot of crap at work. Around then I also decided to wash my hair with better shampoo so bought some Avalaon Organics stuff. Initially I figured it was all stress and would pass, but it's been almost a year now and my head still kills. When this started I had a very very thick head of hair, a little recession to maybe a NW1.5. There is no history of hair-loss in my family and my Dad has a full head of hair at 75, Grandfather on Mom's side died in his 50's but he had hair. Since this began I know for a fact that I've lost hair, but what's odd is it appears to just fall out and not regrow. I've been to 3 dermatologists (all worthless) who mostly prescribed me a) anti-anxiety meds or b) topical steroids. I also had a biopsy done which showed a moderate shift from anagen to telogen, which makes me think when my hair falls out it's not growing back. Is this TE? I think if I can cure this non-stop burning my hair will grow back, but I have no clue how to do it. Here is what I've tried.

Ate healthy: No junk food, only water and natural juices (like OJ), all organic fruits and vegetables, seeds, wild-caught fish and organic chicken.
Myriad of Essential Oils: Emu Oil, Jojoba, Spearmint, Rosemary, Lavender, etc etc.
Gone through probably 20 shampoos (none with SLS): Regenepure, Dr. Bronners, Avalon Organics, etc etc.
Folligen Spray

The thing that oddly enough seems to help the most is when I DON'T shower. Showering (doesn't matter the water temperature) KILLS me head. After I get out and my hair dries it burns like the fire of a thousand suns! The more days that go by that I don't shower the better my head feels. I've taken to using dry shampoo (organic powder) and cutting my hair very short. The less my scalp is touched the better it is, one time I fell asleep on a road-trip and when I woke up the back of my head that was on the head-rest killed me beyond belief.

Any advice anyone can give would be most appreciated, I know this is probably scalp inflammation and is possibly an auto-immune response triggered by stress so now my system is attacking my hair follicles. I'm hoping the damage done is reversible provided I can fix the inflammation. My next steps are going to an acupuncturist and an internal medicine guy who is going to run a crap-ton of blood work. I had some blood-work done already and my thyroid checked out fine.

Burninator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Advice Needed - Burning Scalp Pain

Post  AS54 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:27 pm

Hey Burn,

I'm not going to have the answer you are looking for. I just wanted to point something out that seems to be similar in my situation. I have rosacea also, and it always flares up extremely bad after a shower. I know that it's likely due to the vasodilation of warm water, but I'm also aware that rosacea has an bacterial component. I wouldn't be surprised if your issue after showering is a combination of dry irritated skin, vasodilation and inflammation from some type of fungal/bacterial issue. Do you have rosacea or any gut problems?

AS54

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Burninator on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:34 pm

I have IBS and a lot of allergies, come to think of it I do have a lot of the symptoms of leaky gut. I have various joint pain that I can't seem to shake and I've taken a lot of NSAIDs and antibiotics over the years. I don't have rosacea but I've been told my multiple doctors and my gf that I have really really hot spots on my head, basically hot to the touch. I've tried to kill an fungal/bacterial issue with the essential oils and some shampoos with keto, but maybe I'm not doing enough. Sometimes I swear I feel like my scalp is crawling but it's possible that's just in my mind.

Burninator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hadrion on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:20 pm

Burniator - Look at my signature and see what I'm taking. Not all of it is for inflammation, but a lot of my regimen is built around fighting it. Ecklonia Cava Extract is essential here for fighting inflammation. If you've been to a derm they probably might have tried to give you a script for Doxycycline, right? Ecklonia Cava is a safe form of what Doxy can do for you and won't ruin your gut. It will also help with joint soreness and blood flow. You also need to be on a good probiotic to repair the damage from the anti-biotics you've been on. Culturelle is good. Dr. Ohhirra's is better but pricey. Start probiotics to get your gut health going in the right direction. You should also consider chelating. Chelating helped me tremendously and has made the supplement regimen I use even more powerful. That and diet.

I'd back off the sugar and fruit juice for a awhile and focus on meat, fish, eggs and veggies and use either potatoes/Sweet potatoes/white rice or beans for carbs. Eat fatty cuts of meat and fish. Cook in butter, coconut oil. Eat steak, salmon and if you want chicken eat it with the skin on and not the lean fat free cuts. You've got a long road ahead of you and there is no instant fix. You're going to have to experiment with diet and supplements to find what works. That said, CS and everyone here has helped me over many years to put together a regimen that shuts inflammation down for myself. I used to wake up in the middle of the night scratching my head like it was on fire. I haven't done that in years.

I would strongly consider getting on CS top supplements and changing the diet. Look up the Perfect Health Diet in particular which a lot of people have success with when fighting autoimmune related issues including rosacea.

As for a topical, colloidal silver sprayed on your scalp post shower will also help with inflammation and should shut down the scalp itch. Good luck!

Most of all be calm and try to process the stress differently than you are used to. That's what started it all for me. I went through a very stressful period in my life 6 or so years ago and my scalp got inflamed and my hair started falling out in clumps on top.

Don't let the derms put you on immunosuppressants if they try to talk you into them. That will create a host of problems for the rest of your life you don't want to deal with.

hadrion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:21 pm

Totall agree with Hadrion about the diet element. From the sounds of it you might be having some immune issues. I believe these systems could be from overimmunity, maybe stemming from leaky gut. All in all, I think most of these problems reside in the gut and that's where treatment should be focused. I think the diet recommendations Hadrion gave are spot on.

Some other resources that I think would really, really help are:

- Dr. Art Ayers blog: http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com/
- All of the stuff on Healthyfixx
- And last but not least, do the GAPS diet (gapsdiet.com) for a few months and see how it does for you...it helped clear up most of my gut issues, unfortunately I stopped to soon and went right back on the offending foods.

If you, like me, are experiencing hair loss at a young age that is just too rapid to fit the normal MPB timeline, I would almost immediately blame gut issues: leaky gut, and biofilm. Art Ayers blog addresses biofilm some, but all of Rdkml's posts and Littlefighter's are amazing.

AS54

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Decro435 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:02 pm

Burniator,

I understand everything you're saying. I have the exact same issues with scalp pain. I get burning sensations all over my scalp especially in the temple/vertex areas. I understand what you mean by the crawling sensations, to explain it to others it's exactly like twitching muscles except faster.. It seems to flare up at times of stress too.

I also have IBS, it seemed to set it after I picked up smoking which is understandable. I guess I picked up smoking because of stress and I guess I was stressed because of my hair loss. Ughhh...

Oh I also have red cheeks, not rosacea but just red. I guess this is related tro cortisol...

Decro435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crusher on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Burninator,

give topical Kefir a try.

Crusher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Decro435 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:36 pm

Crusher wrote:Burninator,

give topical Kefir a try.

No Offense Crusher, but Burniator I wouldn't bother with the Kefir. Here's a few tips that I use:

Calm yourself.
Cut hair short.
Eat Healthy.
Nizoral or Baking Soda Rinse.
Exercise to release stress. Cardio.
Avoid Stimulants.

I guess you can try supplements. Only ever noticed negative effects from supplements, though most produced no effect whatsoever.

I'm dealing with a stress condition now. All my stress stems from losing my hair. I developed a panic disorder which is extremely annoying. I have regular attacks when relaxing which lead to all the symptoms of a heart attack and it can't be ignored. I find it hard to drive a car long distances as I almost feel like passing out. My ankles have become numb and regular twitching of my right foot has fatigued my leg muscle. I also have IBS.

Decro435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crusher on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:48 pm

No prob, Decro,

just a thougt. Kefir is the only remedy until now that helped my itching and
burning scalp.

Crusher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:08 pm

Topical kefir is worth trying because it will verify that there is a problem with the flora in the gut. Not only that, but when there is a problem with the gut, supplements will not work as usually intended.

One of the reasons why hair loss is no enigmatic is that everyone's situation is vastly different. Making things
worse, the sick-care system is designed to treat symptoms, not address the underlying cause. Also, it
often uses nebulous labels or provides general terms for conditions without any real effective treatment.

With the case of IBS, a condition that some with hair loss face, "Irritable Bowel Syndrome" is a catch phrase
diagnosis that really means = "We do not really understand what is wrong with you"

The reason is that after a battery of tests, all revealing negative confirmation, the symptoms exist, yet
with no known cause.

Therefore, if a patient is not "positive" for one of these tests, the diagnosis of IBS is given.

So what could it be? It could something as simple as food allergy. The most common are wheat/gluten, dairy and casein.

It's worth a look at older threads of Littlefighter who wrote a lot on fighting dysbiosis (bacterial imbalance in the gut).

It's worth mentioning that almost all patients 'diagnosed' with IBS have low thyroid function. The thyroid hormone, never mentioned in allopathic medicine (because there is no patented drug for it), is T2, which is responsible for production of stomach acid. Typically stomach acid levels are low and when this happens, a burning scalp is one symptom, because phagocytosis cannot be optimized. In other words, pathogens are able to wreak havoc.

As already mentioned, a quality probiotic, clean diet should be looked into.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/hairconsultation.htm

CausticSymmetry
Admin

View user profile http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  bh2o on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:55 am

hadrion wrote:I'd back off the sugar and fruit juice for a awhile and focus on meat, fish, eggs and veggies and use either potatoes/Sweet potatoes/white rice or beans for carbs. Eat fatty cuts of meat and fish. Cook in butter, coconut oil. Eat steak, salmon and if you want chicken eat it with the skin on and not the lean fat free cuts. You've got a long road ahead of you and there is no instant fix. You're going to have to experiment with diet and supplements to find what works. That said, CS and everyone here has helped me over many years to put together a regimen that shuts inflammation down for myself. I used to wake up in the middle of the night scratching my head like it was on fire. I haven't done that in years.

I would strongly consider getting on CS top supplements and changing the diet. Look up the Perfect Health Diet in particular which a lot of people have success with when fighting autoimmune related issues including rosacea.

As for a topical, colloidal silver sprayed on your scalp post shower will also help with inflammation and should shut down the scalp itch. Good luck!

Most of all be calm and try to process the stress differently than you are used to. That's what started it all for me. I went through a very stressful period in my life 6 or so years ago and my scalp got inflamed and my hair started falling out in clumps on top.

Don't let the derms put you on immunosuppressants if they try to talk you into them. That will create a host of problems for the rest of your life you don't want to deal with.

Nice post. TS, heed the message. Focus on your gut, and your diet. Supplement wisely.

anthonyspencer54 wrote:Totall agree with Hadrion about the diet element. From the sounds of it you might be having some immune issues. I believe these systems could be from overimmunity, maybe stemming from leaky gut. All in all, I think most of these problems reside in the gut and that's where treatment should be focused. I think the diet recommendations Hadrion gave are spot on.

Some other resources that I think would really, really help are:

- Dr. Art Ayers blog: http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com/
- All of the stuff on Healthyfixx
- And last but not least, do the GAPS diet (gapsdiet.com) for a few months and see how it does for you...it helped clear up most of my gut issues, unfortunately I stopped to soon and went right back on the offending foods.

If you, like me, are experiencing hair loss at a young age that is just too rapid to fit the normal MPB timeline, I would almost immediately blame gut issues: leaky gut, and biofilm. Art Ayers blog addresses biofilm some, but all of Rdkml's posts and Littlefighter's are amazing.

Totally agree.

bh2o

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:58 am

Too make things more complicated I'll add my opinion Smile A couple of these per day should help greatly for the scalp IMO. http://www.iherb.com/Natural-Factors-Celery-Seed-Extract-60-Capsules/2710

IMO, basically it all comes back to focusing on gout to help. I use to post about this a long-time ago. Just one session or a couple session on a PEMF device like a doug coil to get the calcium and sodium out of the cells and replaced with potassium would make one a believer in my theory. Or of course supplements and other measures to focus on gout.

ubraj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hoppipolla on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:06 pm

Topical grapefruit seed extract in shampoo absolutely nuked dandruff (and itching/inflammation) for me, as did topical tea tree or thyme oil (in water or shampoo).

At the moment although I haven't stopped my loss, ketoconazole and massages seem to have stopped most of my inflammation and dandruff.

The IBS I would say is a crucial thing here. Do you get bloating/gas? Try going starch-free for 2 or 3 days and let me know if that clears up! lol Smile

hoppipolla

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Burninator on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:33 pm

I've tried almost every topical imaginable (essential oil wise) and nothing seems to cure me. Again the weird thing is shampooing (any shampoo, doesn't matter) causes me to flare up massively. I'd definitely say I have IBS, had a colonoscopy a couple years ago due to constipation issues. My constipation is better but it's still there. I ordered the silver spray, celery and ecklonia extract. Yeah I do have bloating and gas, but I wouldn't say it's significant, but I definitely have it. I went starch free for a couple months and it didn't seem to help, I was just eating vegetables, fruits and chicken.

Right now my head doesn't burn, it more aches (haven't washed it in a few days). When I shower it burns, like someone poured gasoline on my scalp and lit a match. When I don't shower for a while and/or use organic dry shampoo it feels more a it's worst a dull ache at certain spots, to cold to almost fine.

Burninator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  9rugrats5 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:47 pm

B, don't have an idea about pain, but for the burning sensation give aloe vera juice (aka gel) a try (the unprocessed variety, not the debittered one). Apply when you feel the burn, and just after you shampoo.

good luck.

9rugrats5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top