Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Alopecia in women with severe and morbid obesity who undergo bariatric surgery

Go down

Alopecia in women with severe and morbid obesity who undergo bariatric surgery

Post  CausticSymmetry on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:53 am

Nutr Hosp. 2011 Aug;26(4):856-62.
[Alopecia in women with severe and morbid obesity who undergo bariatric surgery].

Rojas P, Gosch M, Basfi-Fer K, Carrasco F, Codoceo J, Inostroza J, Valencia A, Adjemian D, Rojas J, Díaz E, Riffo A, Papapietro K, Csendes A, Ruz M.

Departamento de Nutrición, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile.

Introduction: Bariatric surgery leads to a significant body weigh reduction although it is associated to a higher risk of presenting some nutritional deficiencies. A common complication, little studied and mainly related to zinc deficiency is alopecia. Objectives: To compare the nutritional status of zinc, iron, copper, selenium and protein-visceral in women with different degrees of hair loss at 6 months after gastric bypass or tubular gastrectomy. Methods: The patients were categorized into two groups according to the degree of hair loss: group 1 or mild loss (n = 42) and group 2 or severe hair loss (n = 45). Zinc, iron, copper, and selenium, as well as the indicators of the nutritional status of zinc, iron, copper, and proteinvisceral were assessed before and after 6 months of the surgery. Results: In both groups there was a significant body weight reduction at 6 months post-surgery (-38.9% ± 16.4%). Patients in group 1 presented a significantly higher intake of zinc (20.6 ± 8.1 vs. 17.1 ± 7.7 mg/d) and iron (39.7 ± 35.9 vs. 23.8 ± 21.3 mg/d.), and lower compromise in the nutritional status of zinc and iron than group 2. However, patients in group 2 had lower compromise in the nutritional status of copper. There were no differences regarding the plasma concentrations of albumin. Conclusions: The patients having lower hair loss at six months after surgery had higher zinc and iron intake and lower compromise of the nutritional status of both minerals.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
Admin

View user profile http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Alopecia in women with severe and morbid obesity who undergo bariatric surgery

Post  hadrion on Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:53 am

CS - I remember we had a conversation a few years ago about how losing/burning fat releases all the toxins that are stored safely in the fat. That alone can cause a lot of health problems for people. Could that be the case here? I do remember, for myself, that my hair loss and inflammation began after a highly stressful period for me than I then compounded with losing a lot of weight. It seemed like the weight loss stirred up some stuff in my body that was dormant back then. It could explain while morbidly obese people have full heads of hair since the fat is protecting them from the toxins it's holding.

hadrion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Alpopecia in women

Post  HinaKhan100 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:30 pm

Alopecia areata is a hair loss disorder that often strikes children. A study published in the December 2001 issue of the Journal of Investigative Dermatology suggests that future treatments could involve desensitizing the body's immune system to the substances that provoke the attack

HinaKhan100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Alopecia in women with severe and morbid obesity who undergo bariatric surgery

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down