Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

soaked and fermented oats

View previous topic View next topic Go down

soaked and fermented oats

Post  Beebrox on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:49 pm

Will it soaking and fermenting oats make it valuable food? I found gluten free product and have concern using it long term due high phytic acid content.

After reading this and that knowing i wont find absolute answer, this idea with mixing complementary grains such as wheat and soaking it together to help reduce phytic acid in oats seems good enough to put it in the practice. Another thing i can do is put a little yogurt with Bifidobacterium infantis along the water, to start fermentation process as well. I wonder what i get and what's the nutritional value of it.

Anybody have experiences with such preparation of oats?

reducing phytic acid in oatmeal

reducing phytic acid in grains and legumes

I am searching the way to consume more safe carbohydrates. I crave it and need it. Tnx for input

Beebrox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: soaked and fermented oats

Post  Beebrox on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:44 pm

Still nobody, really? :/

Have done it a few times and i digest it really well. Still there is grain of doing it long term due phytic acid and some others stressors.

I just have to keep this topic alive, since inexpensive quality carbs are huge thing for me, sorry.Smile

Beebrox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Balthier on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:14 am

I've done it a couple times not really fermenting just a day long soak seems to make it more digestible. I don't really love oatmeal though I do think making oatmeal raisin cookies this way sounds delicious.

Balthier

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  harechallenge on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:02 am

I use plain Greek Yogurt, water and sea salt on the oats in a container and let it soak about 1 day. lightly heat on stove (not microwave) and add butter. If you are going to add seeds, nuts or other grains (to reduce phytic acid) to the oats, you might research how long it can be properly soaked compared to oats. I have read that the phytic acid in oats is moderate. The main point is not to cook beyond 116 or 117 F as this will destroy the lacto bacteria.

harechallenge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  harechallenge on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:49 pm

I have added a little cream of buckwheat when merely soaking the oats, but I can't tell if it reduces phytic acid content. But I read that it does.
Eating fermented foods and yogurt should only be in moderation. Soaking without fermenting is safer.

harechallenge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bayman on Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:26 pm

What's the difference between soaked and fermented?

bayman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Growdamnit on Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:23 am

Are steel cut oats generally bad?

Growdamnit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  harechallenge on Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:23 am

bayman wrote:What's the difference between soaked and fermented?
With fermenting, we are presumably adding healthy bacteria to the food, whereas soaking usually involves just water and salt to soften the grain for easy digestion. Fermenting includes soaking. Most grains don't get positive reviews, and I can't say they are highly healthy. Rather, they add some nutrition and variety to the diet. I don't think there is much difference between old-fashioned, steel cut, Irish and Scottish.

harechallenge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum