FAQ
 Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Hydrogen Sulfide Gas : Possible Connection to the Blood Flow Theories and Hairloss

Go down

Hydrogen Sulfide Gas : Possible Connection to the Blood Flow Theories and Hairloss

Post  AS54 on Sun May 05, 2013 4:46 pm

http://jaha.ahajournals.org/content/1/5/e004093.full

"Recent reports suggest that H2S could positively regulate HIF‐1α activity.40,41 These studies showed that H2S‐enhanced hypoxia induced HIF‐1α and VEGF expression in vascular smooth muscle cells, which enhanced endothelial cell viability. Our findings further advance our understanding of H2S and HIF‐1α because H2S stimulation of endothelial cell proliferation was maximal under hypoxia that critically required NO‐dependent HIF‐1α activity. Endogenous NO is known to stimulate VEGF synthesis and VEGF‐induced angiogenesis that is blunted by NOS inhibition.4244 Likewise, angiogenesis is impaired when NO bioavailability is attenuated, as seen during hind‐limb ischemia in eNOS‐knockout mice that is not significantly reversed by administration of VEGF.45 Moreover, NO along with cGMP production exerts these effects by increasing expression of VEGF.42,46,47 Our results are in agreement with these previous reports and reveal that H2S increases VEGF expression in eNOS−/− ischemic tissues in a NO‐dependent manner that can stimulate angiogenesis in ischemic tissues.

Together, these data highlight the potent therapeutic effect of H2S on diabetic ischemic vascular remodeling and tissue reperfusion, which depends on increased VEGF expression and angiogenic activity."

This is very interesting stuff, and relates to all of the sulfur donors that get a lot of attention here: garlic, onion, N-acetyl cysteine, MSM.

Perhaps the reason people have reported such good results with MSM might tie this all back to the blood flow theories, with H2S as one of the big players.
AS54

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hydrogen Sulfide Gas : Possible Connection to the Blood Flow Theories and Hairloss

Post  SlowMoe on Sun May 05, 2013 11:11 pm

Farts contain H2S.
Is it possible we are frying our hair with flatulance?
SlowMoe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hydrogen Sulfide Gas : Possible Connection to the Blood Flow Theories and Hairloss

Post  AS54 on Sun May 05, 2013 11:43 pm

AS54

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Growdamnit on Mon May 06, 2013 11:06 am

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Perfect.

Very interesting, though.

Growdamnit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ar on Mon May 06, 2013 11:23 am

I think we're on to something here guys, I know when I have gut troubles my hair goes limp and my scalp feels as if it's been lit on fire.

Background

Male pattern baldness (MPB), an observable trait, has been reported to be associated with various diseases, such as prostate cancer and cardiovascular disease. Oral sulfur-containing gases have also been suggested to be useful as markers of systemic health condition. However, there are no known reports regarding the associations among MPB, and oral sulfur-containing gases, and systemic health conditions in males.

Methods

We studied 170 male subjects aged either 60 or 65 years old. The degree of MPB was assessed using the Norwood-Hamilton Baldness scale. Oral sulfur-containing gases were measured using a compact-designed device. All subjects completed physical and laboratory blood examinations, a face-to-face medical questionnaire, and an oral examination.

Results

There were significant differences between the levels of CH3SCH3and baldness patterns, independent of age. When we analyzed whether the association was linked to systemic health condition, a strong significant association was observed between the level of CH3SCH3and severe MPB in subjects with gastrointestinal diseases, hypertension, and hypercholesterolemia.

Conclusion

These results suggest that MPB is associated with the level of CH3SCH3, a sulfur-containing gas that causes oral malodor, in elderly Japanese males. Further, the association was intensified by the existence of gastrointestinal tract and metabolic disorders.
ar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smurfy on Mon May 06, 2013 11:55 am

Back in the day when I was losing hair, if I didn't shower I'd smell like an Italian restaurant (garlic and onion). There's definite truth to all this...
Smurfy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CF on Mon May 06, 2013 12:02 pm

From a layman's perspective, it sounds like H2S induces hypoxia, which is bad, but that increases VEGF, which is good. But hypoxia sounds worse overall to hair than an increase in VEGF. I take MSM supplements, I wonder if I should stop.

Last edited by CF on Mon May 06, 2013 12:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

CF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj on Mon May 06, 2013 12:02 pm

bacteria which are also known to produce H2S [hydrogen sulfide] in presence of certain heavy metals as a survival defense mechanism.

Furthermore the effects of the bacterial H2S induces increased ROS production by the liver and retaining of heavy metals particularly mercury in the body.

Chronic increased production of H2S by intestinal bacteria leads to build-up of mercury in the body as proven by a Zn DTPA/DMPS challenge test.

H2S acts as a general defense mechanism against oxidative stress,

http://immortalhair.forumandco.com/t4920p30-ot-chronic-fatigue-myalgic-encephalitis-fibromyalgia

ubraj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ar on Mon May 06, 2013 12:08 pm

As rdkml referenced, I believe this comes down to a bacterial issue as well, particularly the gut as it's already been verified as the source of much of the inflammitory and stress responses that we group into hair loss. This theory fits like a glove.
ar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 on Mon May 06, 2013 12:36 pm

CF,
The study I posted shows H2S is protective in situations of hypoxia and helps increase angiogenesis and reverse tissue ischemia. I would say MSM would be beneficial in this sense. MSM is different than CH3SCH3 (dimethylsulfide).

Now the gut bacteria issue is different altogether. As we know with many aspects of our physiology, things are often double edged swords. They can be beneficial at certain levels and damaging at others. As a dissolved gas in the blood, this would certainly be the case for H2S. If our gut biota are producing too much of this substance, I'd expect this to be a sign of some underlying oxidative issue such as heavy metal burden, mold toxins, hypoxia, etc.

I'm interested by what Rdkml posted. We have evidence that H2S is protective in hypoxic conditions, but that it can contribute to oxidation when produced in excess by the gut bacteria. I swear to god, gut bacteria have to complicate everything. Wish they'd just stay out of it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21921289http://jap.physiology.org/content/102/1/261.full

Again, more evidence that H2S protects against the damage caused by return of blood flow to areas where blood flow was previously cut off. It seems periods of lack of oxygen cause severe mitochondrial damage when that oxygen returns quickly back to normal levels, which makes sense as oxygen is pretty hungry for electrons. H2S seems to protect against this damage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19852698

Last edited by anthonyspencer54 on Mon May 06, 2013 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
AS54

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 on Mon May 06, 2013 12:53 pm

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1016/S0378-1097(02)01198-9/pdf

"In this study, we investigated the involvement of oxidative stress on metabolic oscillation as a regulator of H2S production. The results presented here indicate that the H2S production during metabolic oscillation is closely linked with cellular oxidative state. Therefore, we suggest that oxidative stress acts as a trigger of H2S production via GSH (and cysteine) depletion, and that H2S could act as a redox regulator when the level of oxidative stress exceeds the antioxidant capacity of the cells."

H2S would appear to increase glutathione (or serve as backup) when glutathione becomes depleted as part of normal respiration and due to oxidative stress.
AS54

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CF on Mon May 06, 2013 1:34 pm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23176571

Hydrogen Sulfide Protects Against Cellular Senescence via S-Sulfhydration of Keap1 and Activation of Nrf2.

Yang G, Zhao K, Ju Y, Mani S, Cao Q, Puukila S, Khaper N, Wu L, Wang R.

Cardiovascular and Metabolic Research Unit, Lakehead University , Ontario, Canada .

Abstract Aims: H2S, a third member of gasotransmitter family along with nitric oxide and carbon monoxide, exerts a wide range of cellular and molecular actions in our body. Cystathionine gamma-lyase (CSE) is a major H2S-generating enzyme in our body. Aging at the cellular level, known as cellular senescence, can result from increases in oxidative stress. The aim of this study was to investigate how H2S attenuates oxidative stress and delays cellular senescence. Results: Here we showed that mouse embryonic fibroblasts isolated from CSE knockout mice (CSE KO-MEFs) display increased oxidative stress and accelerated cellular senescence in comparison with MEFs from wild-type mice (WT-MEFs). The protein expression of p53 and p21 was significantly increased in KO-MEFs, and knockdown of p53 or p21 reversed CSE deficiency-induced senescence. Incubation of the cells with NaHS (a H2S donor) significantly increased the glutathione (GSH) level and rescued KO-MEFs from senescence. Nrf2 is a master regulator of the antioxidant response, and Keap1 acts as a negative regulator of Nrf2. NaHS S-sulfhydrated Keap1 at cysteine-151, induced Nrf2 dissociation from Keap1, enhanced Nrf2 nuclear translocation, and stimulated mRNA expression of Nrf2-targeted downstream genes, such as glutamate-cysteine ligase and GSH reductase. Innovation: These results provide a mechanistic insight into how H2S signaling mediates cellular senescence induced by oxidative stress. Conclusion: H2S protects against cellular aging via S-sulfhydration of Keap1 and Nrf2 activation in association with oxidative stress. Antioxid. Redox Signal. 18, 1906-1919.

CF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down