Natural Hair Growth Products
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum

Copper Toxicity and Hair Loss

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Copper Toxicity and Hair Loss

Post  bobbyv on Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:36 am

I've done a heavy metal toxicity test which determined I had a copper excess. I'd always thought copper was seen as a possible treatment for hair loss rather than a cause. I've read around though and there's a lot of articles on the web connecting copper toxicity with hair loss and also loss of hair colour (which is interesting as I'm also experiencing some greying of my hair in places although only in my early 30s).

I'm interested to know if anyone has knowledge or experience of this area. Also, whats the best way to reduce copper levels? I'm using just MCP for heavy metal detox at the moment. I dont know how effective that is on copper, or if there are better products for it and/or dietary changes that would help.

bobbyv

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Copper Toxicity and Hair Loss

Post  scottyc33 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:50 am

?

I've read Black Strap Molasses was a 'cure' for gray hair at least in part due to the copper content.

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/blackstrap-molasses.html

scottyc33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lund on Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:49 am

I read somewhere that if you supplement with Zinc, you should take little bit of copper as well. So as you have more Cu, you probably can benefit with Zinc intake w/o having to take copper (thinking logically). There might be other better ways, but this is one possibility...

lund

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:49 pm

bobbyv - Too much copper or too little can cause hair loss.

Too little copper could result from either excess zinc (quite a lot) or frequent consumption of High fructose corn syrup. HFCS binds to copper and can cause a shortage of superoxide dismutase (SOD), therefore there is more superoxide free-radical to gray hair and to kill it.

When there's too much copper, it can throw out zinc stores (Zinc is a natural 5-alpha reductase inhibitor), also high copper invites more estrogen.

CausticSymmetry
Admin

View user profile http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  RobHealthMan on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:10 am

Hi CS,

how does copper peptides fit in here? especially topically?

thanks!

RobHealthMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 on Wed May 19, 2010 1:05 pm

bump for the copper peptides

baller234

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JosephineMarie on Thu May 20, 2010 3:58 am

http://reverseskinaging.com/copper2.html

JosephineMarie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 on Thu May 20, 2010 8:21 am

Thanx for the link josephine. I'm not too worried about topical copper peptides causing systemic toxicity however I'm curious if they could cause local tissue toxicity if applied often.

baller234

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Thu May 20, 2010 8:49 am

bobbyv wrote:I've done a heavy metal toxicity test which determined I had a copper excess. I'd always thought copper was seen as a possible treatment for hair loss rather than a cause. I've read around though and there's a lot of articles on the web connecting copper toxicity with hair loss and also loss of hair colour (which is interesting as I'm also experiencing some greying of my hair in places although only in my early 30s).

I'm interested to know if anyone has knowledge or experience of this area. Also, whats the best way to reduce copper levels? I'm using just MCP for heavy metal detox at the moment. I dont know how effective that is on copper, or if there are better products for it and/or dietary changes that would help.

bobbyv,

What test did you have done to determine you had high copper levels? Did you test for Zinc? High copper could mean a zinc deficiency. There is a condition called pyroluria:

Pyroluria (originally known as malvaria) is a genetic abnormality in hemoglobin synthesis resulting in a deficiency of zinc and vitamin B6. People with pyroluria produce excess amounts of a byproduct from hemoglobin synthesis, called OHHPL (hydroxyhemoppyrrolin-2-one). In these people an excess amount of pyrrole is found in the urine. Associated changes in fatty acid metabolism lead to low levels of arachidonic acid (an omega-6 fatty acid). The presence of pyroluria can have a profound effect on mental and physical health and was first discovered in relation to schizophrenia.

* Little or no dream recall
* White spots on finger nails
* Poor morning appetite and/or tendency to skip breakfast
* Morning nausea
* Pale skin, poor tanning or burn easy in sun
* Sensitivity to bright light
* Hypersensitive to loud noises
* Reading difficulties (e.g. dyslexia)
* Histrionic (dramatic)
* Argumentative/enjoy argument
* Mood swings or temper outbursts
* Much higher capability & alertness in the evening, compared to mornings
* Anxiousness
* Preference for spicy or heavily flavored foods
* Abnormal body fat distribution
* Significant growth after the age of 16

Here is a good video on youtube about pyroluria.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1OJ87eA0Lg

Paradox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 on Fri May 21, 2010 8:32 am

CS, do you think chronic topical application of copper peptides could cause local toxicity in skin tissue?

I scoured the internet but can't find any relevant info. I even emailed Dr. Pickart but he has yet to respond.

baller234

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 on Sat May 22, 2010 1:32 pm

bump

baller234

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 on Mon May 24, 2010 9:39 am

bump

baller234

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Prague on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:09 pm

JosephineMarie wrote:http://reverseskinaging.com/copper2.html

great info, thanks!

Prague

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  action<reaction on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:16 am

Seems to be that one can have toxic levels of copper in their tissue and still be dificient in it. Leading to the whole sublingual use of ionic copper.

action<reaction

Location: Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, the Milky Way

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomorrow Tomorrow on Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:30 am

[quote="Paradox"]
bobbyv wrote:I've done a heavy metal toxicity test which determined I had a copper excess. I'd always thought copper was seen as a possible treatment for hair loss rather than a cause. I've read around though and there's a lot of articles on the web connecting copper toxicity with hair loss and also loss of hair colour (which is interesting as I'm also experiencing some greying of my hair in places although only in my early 30s).

bobbyv,

What test did you have done to determine you had high copper levels? Did you test for Zinc? High copper could mean a zinc deficiency. There is a condition called pyroluria:

Pyroluria (originally known as malvaria) is a genetic abnormality in hemoglobin synthesis resulting in a deficiency of zinc and vitamin B6. People with pyroluria produce excess amounts of a byproduct from hemoglobin synthesis, called OHHPL (hydroxyhemoppyrrolin-2-one). In these people an excess amount of pyrrole is found in the urine. Associated changes in fatty acid metabolism lead to low levels of arachidonic acid (an omega-6 fatty acid). The presence of pyroluria can have a profound effect on mental and physical health and was first discovered in relation to schizophrenia.

* Little or no dream recall
* White spots on finger nails
* Poor morning appetite and/or tendency to skip breakfast
* Morning nausea
* Pale skin, poor tanning or burn easy in sun
* Sensitivity to bright light
* Hypersensitive to loud noises
* Reading difficulties (e.g. dyslexia)
* Histrionic (dramatic)
* Argumentative/enjoy argument
* Mood swings or temper outbursts
* Much higher capability & alertness in the evening, compared to mornings
* Anxiousness
* Preference for spicy or heavily flavored foods
* Abnormal body fat distribution
* Significant growth after the age of 16

Hello to all the good people on this forum!

Anyone has experience with the Now foods Thyroid energy, thyroid support?
It has pyridoxine in it, but for the rest it has a lot of good stuff in it. Maybe supplement with P-5-P to balance out the bad with the good vitamin b6?
Looks like it is a good supp against Pyroluria too..

Any comments on this?

Tomorrow Tomorrow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum