FAQ
 Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Scalp peeling with 20% glycolic acid: GREAT RESULTS...

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Scalp peeling with 20% glycolic acid: GREAT RESULTS...

Post  shaftless on Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:46 am

I wonder if using a fairly strong acid long term may cause damage to the skin like sunburn does. I'm a little worried of cancerous changes over time. A receptor blocker would seem to be the safest in the long run.

shaftless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hoppipolla on Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:02 am

shaftless wrote:I wonder if using a fairly strong acid long term may cause damage to the skin like sunburn does. I'm a little worried of cancerous changes over time. A receptor blocker would seem to be the safest in the long run.
I thought that, but... I mean this keratin NEEDS to shed, it SHOULD be shed. It's building up to levels that is not healthy for the skin or hair on the head, due to hormone imbalance.

It may be true that blocking DHT in the scalp alone MAY be safer. Then glycolic acid could be used to clear away the first lot of keratin (no more would build up if DHT was blocked).

Most DHT blockers that are reasonably priced are pretty rubbish though, aren't they?

Really though, clearing out keratin with glycolic acid should be a temporary solution while we get our hormones back in balance, not a long term solution.

As long as we don't overdo it though, it should be safe as it will merely clear out the EXCESS keratin.

You make a good and valid point though.

EDIT -- Really, it's about where we interact with this process.

The process seems to go:

CRH -> DHT -> keratin -> sebum -> infection -> inflammation -> hair loss

Before CRH can be a number of triggers but I think GI distress is the most common.

I could be wrong about CRH but I think I'm right.

Therefore, the BEST solution is to heal the gut or simply reduce CRH to healthy levels. By using glycolic acid, we're artificially clearing away the keratin that the DHT has increased. It's just a chain. It's up to us which link in it we break to stop hair loss.
hoppipolla

View user profile http://www.hoppimike.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Complexx on Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:37 am

hoppipolla wrote:
shaftless wrote:I wonder if using a fairly strong acid long term may cause damage to the skin like sunburn does. I'm a little worried of cancerous changes over time. A receptor blocker would seem to be the safest in the long run.
I thought that, but... I mean this keratin NEEDS to shed, it SHOULD be shed. It's building up to levels that is not healthy for the skin or hair on the head, due to hormone imbalance.

It may be true that blocking DHT in the scalp alone MAY be safer. Then glycolic acid could be used to clear away the first lot of keratin (no more would build up if DHT was blocked).

Most DHT blockers that are reasonably priced are pretty rubbish though, aren't they?

Really though, clearing out keratin with glycolic acid should be a temporary solution while we get our hormones back in balance, not a long term solution.

As long as we don't overdo it though, it should be safe as it will merely clear out the EXCESS keratin.

You make a good and valid point though.

EDIT -- Really, it's about where we interact with this process.

The process seems to go:

CRH -> DHT -> keratin -> sebum -> infection -> inflammation -> hair loss

Before CRH can be a number of triggers but I think GI distress is the most common.

I could be wrong about CRH but I think I'm right.

Therefore, the BEST solution is to heal the gut or simply reduce CRH to healthy levels. By using glycolic acid, we're artificially clearing away the keratin that the DHT has increased. It's just a chain. It's up to us which link in it we break to stop hair loss.
If it was this simple, wouldn't the violet ray take care of everything then?
Complexx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hoppipolla on Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:32 am

Complexx wrote:
If it was this simple, wouldn't the violet ray take care of everything then?
I have done little to no research into the violet ray...
hoppipolla

Back to top Go down

Post  alphadelta on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:04 am

does anyone know if you can do a glycolic aicd peel if you got long hair? really dont feel like shaving mine off

alphadelta

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hoppipolla on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:30 am

alphadelta wrote:does anyone know if you can do a glycolic aicd peel if you got long hair?  really dont feel like shaving mine off
Ditto!!!

AFAIK liquid glycolic acid works fine so I was just going to apply it with a pipette or something in small squirts through my hair, or something along those lines Smile
hoppipolla

Back to top Go down

Post  Grub on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:09 pm

On ebay there seems to be medical grade and cosmetic grade gycolic acid as well as buffered and unbuffered. What are we using on our scalp?

Grub

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hoppipolla on Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:35 pm

Grub wrote:On ebay there seems to be medical grade and cosmetic grade gycolic acid as well as buffered and unbuffered. What are we using on our scalp?
I have no idea what buffered means. But the higher the purity the better... I mean, obviously it needs to be safe for use on human skin Smile
hoppipolla

Back to top Go down

Post  YAER on Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:35 pm

Hey guys, how long do u leave the glyco on, i just bought a 30%.

YAER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grub on Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:08 pm

YAER wrote:Hey guys, how long do u leave the glyco on, i just bought a 30%.
I found a lot of instructions on the internet advocating to wash the acid off 10 - 15 mins after application however gonzalito says he leaves it on for 24 hours at 20 - 30%. I just purchased a 20% solution and will try leaving it on as it is at a weak dilution.

I was thinking about applying it using a plastic spray bottle, however im not sure if this is a great idea considering the plastic will leach into the acid. Perhaps putting the acid in the bottle just before applying, then applying and then washing it out afterward would be less damaging. Any thoughts?

Grub

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  abetz85 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:40 am

Grub wrote:
I found a lot of instructions on the internet advocating to wash the acid off 10 - 15 mins after application however gonzalito says he leaves it on for 24 hours at 20 - 30%. I just purchased a 20% solution and will try leaving it on as it is at a weak dilution.

I was thinking about applying it using a plastic spray bottle, however im not sure if this is a great idea considering the plastic will leach into the acid. Perhaps putting the acid in the bottle just before applying, then applying and then washing it out afterward would be less damaging. Any thoughts?

Yeah I've also saw that kind of advice. Before the treatment it's said to clean well the skin (scalp for us) and after the treatment they say that's also important to use a good moisturizer.
1 application x week on normal skin
2 application x week on thick and grease skin

abetz85

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gonzalito on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:52 am

hoppipolla wrote:
Grub wrote:On ebay there seems to be medical grade and cosmetic grade gycolic acid as well as buffered and unbuffered. What are we using on our scalp?
I have no idea what buffered means. But the higher the purity the better... I mean, obviously it needs to be safe for use on human skin Smile
As I understand, the "buffered" means that acid is "partially neutralized" and that "neutralizer" reacts just with plain water, inhibiting the acid as soon as water makes contact with the acid...

In contrast, with the unbuffered acid (purer), you need a mixture of water and sodium bicarbonate to neutralize it...

Anyway, as our case, we don´t need to neutralize the acid... Just leave it until next shower...

gonzalito

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gonzalito on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:56 am

Grub wrote:

You may be right, Grub, but I do not care so much because it is not something we're going to eat or drink...

Moreover, my first 20% glycolic came in a plastic container!

gonzalito

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theseeker86 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:36 am

How does this one look?  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Glycolic-Acid-Skin-Peel-MD-Grade-40-Unbuffered-30ml-/190829805352?pt=AU_Face_Care&hash=item2c6e57bf28&_uhb=1

Shit, that's 40%, i did find a 35% one too.

theseeker86

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hoppipolla on Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:18 am

Surely we want unbuffered then?

And misterE said he left it on for 24 hours at least one time, too.

Smile
hoppipolla

Back to top Go down

Post  gonzalito on Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:27 am

theseeker86 wrote:How does this one look?  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Glycolic-Acid-Skin-Peel-MD-Grade-40-Unbuffered-30ml-/190829805352?pt=AU_Face_Care&hash=item2c6e57bf28&_uhb=1

theseeker86,

You could even buy a higher concentration and then just dilute it with distilled water to get whatever concentration you want; for example:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Glycolic-Acid-Skin-Peel-MD-Grade-70-Unbuffered-30ml-/190499831984?pt=AU_Face_Care&hash=item2c5aacc0b0

It´s also more $$$ wise ;-)

gonzalito

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hoppipolla on Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:42 am

gonzalito wrote:
theseeker86 wrote:How does this one look?  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Glycolic-Acid-Skin-Peel-MD-Grade-40-Unbuffered-30ml-/190829805352?pt=AU_Face_Care&hash=item2c6e57bf28&_uhb=1

theseeker86,

You could even buy a higher concentration and then just dilute it with distilled water to get whatever concentration you want; for example:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Glycolic-Acid-Skin-Peel-MD-Grade-70-Unbuffered-30ml-/190499831984?pt=AU_Face_Care&hash=item2c5aacc0b0

It´s also more $$$ wise ;-)
My chemist friend said tap/mineral water is probably fine, but there is a chance that a % of the acid's potency will be lost in reacting to the minerals and stuff. He doesn't think it would be much though.

Admittedly the eBay seller said to use distilled, though.
hoppipolla

Back to top Go down

Post  gonzalito on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:19 am

Why take the risk with tap water when distilled is cheap and you also need a few mililiters?

gonzalito

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:38 am

I think if anyone is going to have much success with this method, you are going to want strong (low pH) and infrequent use, maybe once per week to start and then maintenance intervals. You want a strong irritation response, and you don't want to overdo it. I'm not sure what strengths you guys are sourcing this stuff at, but for the alpha hydroxy acids to be effective at what you want them to do, you will need a pH of 2 or less, ideally probably closer to the Rx grade of 1.0. The way its used in a lot of other formulations, the pH is just too high. Less than 1 and you'll get total keratinolysis so it would be worth researching how much these strengths will damage existing hair.
AS54

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hoppipolla on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:32 am

gonzalito wrote:Why take the risk with tap water when distilled is cheap and you also need a few mililiters?
I know what you mean. But it can sometimes be troublesome to get hold of distilled water so it can be useful to know if mineral/tap will suffice.

Also... in America, do you call them mineral water and tap water? o.O
hoppipolla

Back to top Go down

Post  Complexx on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:30 am

hoppipolla wrote:
gonzalito wrote:Why take the risk with tap water when distilled is cheap and you also need a few mililiters?
I know what you mean. But it can sometimes be troublesome to get hold of distilled water so it can be useful to know if mineral/tap will suffice.

Also... in America, do you call them mineral water and tap water? o.O
You guys should check out these special filters.... OKO water filters. "NASA derived water filtration" this thing can turn coca cola into pure drinking water.
Complexx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  YAER on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:44 pm

Guys, when does ur scalp start peeling after the glyco?

YAER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:40 pm

hoppipolla wrote:
alphadelta wrote:does anyone know if you can do a glycolic aicd peel if you got long hair?  really dont feel like shaving mine off
Ditto!!!

AFAIK liquid glycolic acid works fine so I was just going to apply it with a pipette or something in small squirts through my hair, or something along those lines Smile
MisterE has told me privately that in his opinion its pretty much required to have a clean shaven head to get any peel action from the glycolic acid.

Espio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hoppipolla on Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:55 am

Espio wrote:
hoppipolla wrote:
Ditto!!!

MisterE has told me privately that in his opinion its pretty much required to have a clean shaven head to get any peel action from the glycolic acid.
Well... let's put that to the test, eh? Smile

EDIT -- I did actually hear about someone who used salicylic acid -containing shampoo daily and it stopped his hair loss. I believe he had hair at the time o.O

Otherwise how would he know it stopped it? lol
hoppipolla

Back to top Go down

Post  YAER on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Iv been shedding ever since i did the peel,i left it for an hour, 30%glyco and 70% water, it stinged a little. My hair has been shedding every since, how can i stop this menace.

YAER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top